advertisement

New blog - Making Light Work: Optimising Optical

Ah you see, in a world of pointlessly complicated digital hifi that might make sense, but in my music room it's just mac - usb cable - dac. No streaming, no server, no ethernet, no network connection. Just mac and dac, that's it, all be it with big ole ssd.

Ah you see, in a world of pointlessly complicated digital hifi that might make sense, but in my music room it's just mac - usb cable - dac. No streaming, no server, no ethernet, no network connection. Just mac and dac, that's it, all be it with big ole ssd.
No streaming. No ethernet. And yet such strongly held and oft expressed views on precisely these topics.
They do say ignorance is bliss!

No proof, no measurements, no acknowledged method of action, yet you also strongly and frequently express your own opinions on the suitability of the kit you sell.

Luckily for you ignorance is bliss.

I don't require an overly complicated digital set up to know I don't need it. I have no desire to stream, no need for ethernet, or an expensive optical bridge to remove the noise I don't have.

No proof, no measurements, no acknowledged method of action, yet you also strongly and frequently express your own opinions on the suitability of the kit you sell.

Luckily for you ignorance is bliss.

I don't require an overly complicated digital set up to know I don't need it. I have no desire to stream, no need for ethernet, or an expensive optical bridge to remove the noise I don't have.

Lots of proof actually, audible proof. Quite why you demand that I measure stuff of no relevance to your setup is beyond me.

I express my own opinions based on my own experiences and am delighted that my customers are equally pleased with their purchases. You on the other hand don’t appear to even be interested in streaming or have any experiences of it to share so quite what motivates you to keep posting on the topic bewilders me. Obviously if you don’t stream then my products are irrelevant to you.
Thanks for popping in. Threads more relevant to your particular listening and hifi preferences do exist. I’m sure they’ll be delighted to see you.

I'm sure all your customers are perfectly happy with their purchases, they wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Like many others I don't think my ears are measurement devices, so rely on measurements to prove where differences exist on the edge of audibility.

I'm sure all your customers are perfectly happy with their purchases, they wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Like many others I don't think my ears are measurement devices, so rely on measurements to prove where differences exist on the edge of audibility.
The edge of audibility is not where I operate.

I suggest we agree to disagree. Do you agree or disagree that we should agree to disagree?

I have no time for your insistence on the primacy of measurement over listening experience. Must audio enthusiasts are enthusiasts about how something sounds, not how something measures. Sure, the latter might inform the former, but it isn’t a substitute for listening = the primary purpose of owning a hifi system.
Enjoy your non-streaming computer+DAC, and please allow others to enjoy their own systems, especially their streaming ones.

Happy New Year.

Last edited:
I prefer digital audio source, it is a computer after all, like all other digital file, excluding old cd only transports.

Hint: all digital devices are computers of sorts, but not all computers are audio devices. A mobile phone is a computer but it hardly counts as an audio device…. to anyone with even a smidgen of appreciation of high quality sound.

Still, I suspect we all have better things to do with our 2024 than to play nicely with non-streaming all-computers-are-equal colleagues on a thread of zero relevance to their setup and listening preferences. I know I do.
Happy New Year to all our readers!

Hint: all digital devices are computers of sorts, but not all computers are audio devices. A mobile phone is a computer but it hardly counts as an audio device…. to anyone with even a smidgen of appreciation of high quality sound.

Really, battery powered with powerful 2/4/6 core CPUs and GPUs?

When I used to commute on the train I used an iPhone with a Fiio E12 and Sennheiser Momentum1 over ear headphones with Qobuz offline and it sounded excellent.

Really, battery powered with powerful 2/4/6 core CPUs and GPUs?

When I used to commute on the train I used an iPhone with a Fiio E12 and Sennheiser Momentum1 over ear headphones with Qobuz offline and it sounded excellent.
I’m sure it did. I used various setups myself on train journeys (Dunu Zen IEMs, iFi hipDAC2) and the combo sounded great but (a) it’s not proper hifi and (b) not exactly a use case relevant to networked domestic audio. Especially so if used offline 😊

advertisement

Back