1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Neat Iota Alpha

Discussion in 'audio' started by Shane2468, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Shane2468

Shane2468 pfm Member

These don't get much talk on here.

Any owners?

S.

2. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Not an owner myself, but would like to hear more about them as well as the new bigger Xplorer version.

I am curious how the bigger ones would work in a mid-sized room on the end of a pair of Naim Nap-100's in monobloc mode....

3. cstanpfm

cstanpfm pfm Member

Hi TimF, how do you set the Nap 100 in monobloc mode?

I would like to get one more Nap 100 if it is not too difficult to set it to monobloc mode.

Sorry, a bit OT here. Thanks.

4. PerF

PerF Private

To my knowledge you can't set Nap 100 into mono mode

Perhaps its possible to use two of these by using one channel of each, others left unused, this should leave full psu to the single channel as someone once did using two Nap 250 into "Nap 125" mode, this will require a special cable though, Nap 100 has RCA so an easier task I'd imagine

Naim should however offer a full mono version of the Nap 100 along with a half width matching pure analog preamp, this would be cool but it will most likely never happen.
    I use my Qute into preamp figuration albeit with a Nap 150X, more powerfull than Nap 100 but honestly I slightly prefer the voicing of the 100.

As for the Iota's the original bookshelfs are great speakers, never heard the Alpha, I hope they perform near backwall without boom, they are ported unfortunately, but so are latest Rega RX floorstanders and they have aparently solved this issue, indeed the previous RS5 boomed way too much in my room
    When I had Motive 2 they did not accept placement close to any boundaries even they were ported downfiring

5. TimF

TimF pfm Member

cstanpfm-Just as Per mentioned above, there isn't a real monobloc mode. I did make up a special set of cables and use the 4-pin din connection, and utilize one channel of each Nap-100. Works great, sounds good. I think the Nap-100 is a fine little amplifier providing one doesn't need a preamp power supply built in, and as I am using a Naim Uniti as preamp/sources, no problem there.

6. cstanpfm

cstanpfm pfm Member

Thanks for the explanation PerF & TimF. :)

I also think the Nap 100 is a fine little gem and is really underrated. And agree also that Naim should make a mono bloc version of it.

7. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

They lack some of the refinement of Neat's larger and pricier models, but they are a really fun listen and they do an amazing job of creating the impression of a large speaker from their tiny 18" tall cabinets. The upcoming Xplorer model seems to be a blend of the Iota Alpha and the SX5i. I am really looking forward to hearing those. I hope to have a pair here before Christmas. I would be very surprised if they are not at the Bristol Show in February.

8. cstanpfm

cstanpfm pfm Member

I do hope Neat release a Petite SX update eg Petite SX2.

But seems unlikely.:(

Sorry OT again.

9. Strictly Stereo

The Petite is gone, sorry.

10. PerF

PerF Private

Quite a pity imo
    Probably not selling well these days
    They were great classic bookshelfs and perhaps the very first Neat speaker back then ?

11. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

any idea on the UK retail price of the new xplorer?

12. Strictly Stereo

The price has not been finalised yet, but I have a pretty good idea if you want to contact me offline.

13. cstanpfm

cstanpfm pfm Member

Yes, the Petite was their first ever speakers and the one that got me interested in this brand. Wanted to get a Petite but did not have the chance then.

Really sad. :( Only option now is the ex-stock Petite SX which I think my local dealer can still order from Neat (last I heard).

How does the Iota Alpha compares to the Petite SX (on good stands)?

14. Strictly Stereo

You might still find a dealer with a pair, but Neat itself has run out of cabinets now, sorry.

15. Strictly Stereo

This is your lucky day. I had a message from Bob this morning to say that there is definitely one last pair available in walnut and maybe another pair in white. I think I was mixing up a conversation we had about Elites.

16. cstanpfm

cstanpfm pfm Member

Thanks, let me speak to me local dealer tomorrow.