advertisement

Neat Iota Alpha

Not an owner myself, but would like to hear more about them as well as the new bigger Xplorer version.

I am curious how the bigger ones would work in a mid-sized room on the end of a pair of Naim Nap-100's in monobloc mode....

Hi TimF, how do you set the Nap 100 in monobloc mode?

I would like to get one more Nap 100 if it is not too difficult to set it to monobloc mode.

Sorry, a bit OT here. Thanks.

To my knowledge you can't set Nap 100 into mono mode

Perhaps its possible to use two of these by using one channel of each, others left unused, this should leave full psu to the single channel as someone once did using two Nap 250 into "Nap 125" mode, this will require a special cable though, Nap 100 has RCA so an easier task I'd imagine

Naim should however offer a full mono version of the Nap 100 along with a half width matching pure analog preamp, this would be cool but it will most likely never happen.
I use my Qute into preamp figuration albeit with a Nap 150X, more powerfull than Nap 100 but honestly I slightly prefer the voicing of the 100.

As for the Iota's the original bookshelfs are great speakers, never heard the Alpha, I hope they perform near backwall without boom, they are ported unfortunately, but so are latest Rega RX floorstanders and they have aparently solved this issue, indeed the previous RS5 boomed way too much in my room
When I had Motive 2 they did not accept placement close to any boundaries even they were ported downfiring

cstanpfm-Just as Per mentioned above, there isn't a real monobloc mode. I did make up a special set of cables and use the 4-pin din connection, and utilize one channel of each Nap-100. Works great, sounds good. I think the Nap-100 is a fine little amplifier providing one doesn't need a preamp power supply built in, and as I am using a Naim Uniti as preamp/sources, no problem there.

Thanks for the explanation PerF & TimF. :)

I also think the Nap 100 is a fine little gem and is really underrated. And agree also that Naim should make a mono bloc version of it.

They lack some of the refinement of Neat's larger and pricier models, but they are a really fun listen and they do an amazing job of creating the impression of a large speaker from their tiny 18" tall cabinets. The upcoming Xplorer model seems to be a blend of the Iota Alpha and the SX5i. I am really looking forward to hearing those. I hope to have a pair here before Christmas. I would be very surprised if they are not at the Bristol Show in February.

Quite a pity imo
Probably not selling well these days
They were great classic bookshelfs and perhaps the very first Neat speaker back then ?

Yes, the Petite was their first ever speakers and the one that got me interested in this brand. Wanted to get a Petite but did not have the chance then.

The Petite is gone, sorry.

Really sad. :( Only option now is the ex-stock Petite SX which I think my local dealer can still order from Neat (last I heard).

How does the Iota Alpha compares to the Petite SX (on good stands)?

Yes, the Petite was their first ever speakers and the one that got me interested in this brand. Wanted to get a Petite but did not have the chance then.

Really sad. :( Only option now is the ex-stock Petite SX which I think my local dealer can still order from Neat (last I heard).

This is your lucky day. I had a message from Bob this morning to say that there is definitely one last pair available in walnut and maybe another pair in white. I think I was mixing up a conversation we had about Elites.

This is your lucky day. I had a message from Bob this morning to say that there is definitely one last pair available in walnut and maybe another pair in white. I think I was mixing up a conversation we had about Elites.

Thanks, let me speak to me local dealer tomorrow.

advertisement

Back