1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

National Museum of Computing

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

A very cool if incomplete 3d walk-through here (link). I can't seem to get through to Colossus or the early home computer sections, so I assume they are not mapped yet, but a great effort so far!

2. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

computer glitch ;)

(more likely a PICNIC issue :) )

3. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

that is brilliant. I normally help taking a coachload of our first students to the Museum once a year, it is amazing how much it has changed (improved) over the years, thanks to the work of the team the there.

4. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

There seems to be quite a lot more than when we visited a few years ago - it was full of old guys telling bored looking wives "hey look , it`s a [insert computer type here] - I used work on one of those"

I was one of them.

5. venton

venton pfm Member

Great link, ta

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The EDSAC replica looks to be coming along nicely too (link). I'll go have a play with that when its finished!

7. Still

Still gyldengourd

Here we have coding jokes, but in the van ... thread at least one lil' fish appears to have missed out on a chunk of evolution.
    pfm is the enigma.

8. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

10: Peek (At_Exhibits)
    20: GOTO Gift_Shop

9. suzywong

suzywong The Man who had no Naim

You are not alone.........

I really must go and see it sometime, and also the one in Manchester

10. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

11. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

A classic System 360 Model 50 would need a huge room to display all the processor cabinets, hard drives, tape drives. To have it running would take a lot of power and support so in some respects I think a set of photos is the only way to do it justice.

Perhaps this old clip could be running in the background as well

https://youtu.be/L9oh3gqOEKU

12. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The thing that makes TNMOC so good is it is enthusiast/volunteer-driven and all about working exhibits. It is probably my favourite museum because of this attitude and I guess it is as much a computer geek club as a museum. If I lived nearer to it I'd be involved for sure! I love the chaotic approach to displaying stuff too, it is the opposite of the highly coordinated modern story-boarded rout-planed simple-narrative thing that is becoming so popular in museum structuring these days. It is a real Aladdin's Cave with everything from a slide-rule or ZX80 to a Cray supercomputer (the latter being one of the very few things there that doesn't work, or didn't when I was there a few years back).

14. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

I don't disagree with you. (The Cray-1 is never going to go again, but it's a cool artefact.)

I'm a TNMOC member, I think it's a bit of shame that EDSAC got the nod rather than a Pilot-ACE, which to me is very much more interesting. Due a visit soon anyway.

I suppose the essential problem is that you can restart or recreate a functional classic CPU, but it just sits there and blinks while emitting heat. If we make it run something then we could just use a Raspberry Pi to pretend, or an emulator in a VM on your laptop.

What's probably more interesting is classic software, preserving and running. Which doesn't so much need the hardware itself to be functional.

Paul

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

IIRC EDSAC got the nod as there was at least some of it to work with. The sad thing is they aren't allowed to play with mercury so the memory is being faked with solid state as far as I'm aware.

I don't see an issue with usage, and ideally I'd like to see the software running on the correct machine - if a computer has been restored to functional condition chances are there are a whole load of folk who either know how to program it, or are eager to learn. We certainly keep the SSEM replica busy in MOSI and have written a whole load of stuff to run on it, and that is a far more limited computer than the vast majority of stuff they have at TNMOC. I tend to run the original 1948 program most of the time (a factor of 2 to the power 18). I know TNMOC have tons of stuff for the home computers and the training area full of BBC Bs and Masters. The Dekatron seemed fully functional and able to run programs too. The big ICL stuff will likely run some variant of Cobol so shouldn't be too hard to get it to do some stuff assuming all the neccessary parts work (discs etc). The Elliott 803 would be fun to learn as I think there is some vague connection to the SSEM/Farranti there. Looks pretty low level.

16. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

I think I have a BBC B somewhere, and an old S100 bus Z80 machine complete with an official CP/M licence and 8" floppy distribution.

But in a world where https://bbc.godbolt.org/ exists what is real?

Paul