advertisement

national audio show birmingham 2017 !

Cast iron loudspeakers
&
Opera loudspeakers
were better than Kerr in my mind.

I remember when AudioSmile demoed their Kensai plus advatange 5plus years ago
That absolutly rocked and was a brilliant new product.

The Kerr stuff just isn't there - but is close!

Show wasn't a flop but definitely was a disconnected maze - which took away any relaxation.

Organisers hadn't put enough effort for internal signing.

They should go back to Whittlebury great venue, even if holding a set date is difficult.

Just been on the Birmingham show website, very excited about Lockwood making a return. My Dad had a pair with 10'' tannoy drivers when I was a kid ( yes a long time ago) in the 60's. I'm keen to see what they have done. I will be there.
Very glad I went, I loved the BIG Lockwood Majors, very dynamic and I had a big smile on my face. I listened to The Who and Pink Floyd and was very impressed. For 'just' £7.5 K ,nothing else at the show came close. Also a good excuse to buy some vinyl from Chris, a great selection as always.

Not a bad show with easy and inexpensive parking but show signage was non-existent, a few hundred pound and a bit of planning would have made a great difference

The Lockwoods and Linemagnetic (horn style, located near hall 8) had awesome dynamics too.

I personally found both a touch harsh - with complex music, with simple they were ace.

Which Tannoys were loaded in the Lockwoods (Reds, Golds, HPDs)? What amp were they driving them with?

Thought Kerr Acoustic K300 was to harsh in the upper mid - played Stir it up by Bob Marley
Just to harsh in upper mid.

Prob is crossover point is low at ~1.8khz.

I just think the xover design isn't nailed on them.

the Transmission Line bass is though, and with good amps they hold onto music well for a 2 way - impressive.

Just a touch harsh - so wouldn't recommend yet.

Correct harsh. BUT.
We pointed this out in the room and what came to light, they were using silver rca cables, to 'add some spark'. When they changed to other set, speakers suddenly started to sound more gown up. Change to Mark Levison amplifier also has helped. This was Sunday around 1pm so if you were earlier you were 'enjoying' sparks from silver RCA.
This shows those speakers are NOT HARSH, but they can be harsh with silver cables, like a lot of other speakers.

Yes the K300 have an awful lot right, they are impressive.

The room was easily the most packed, and seemed to be people were buying them on the day, so looks fantastic.

With the quality of the Kerr kit, I can imagine cables making a noticeable difference for better or worse.

Also worth noting the price wasn't too bad - ~1.8k

Attended the show on sunday with a few friends, must admit not too much to shout home about, attendance seemed to be quite poor and the quality of exhibitors was also poor. A couple of standouts was the Audionote room who were using a very modest system by their standards, sounded very good along with the Line Magnetic room, although when they changed over to the large floor standing horns there was quite a bit of bass bloom.

The Lockwoods sounded quite nice, Im not a massive Tannoy fan but did enjoy the speakers they were exhibiting.

We only payed £10 on the day and in all honesty thats £10 too much for what was on offer, I doubt I will be attending next year if its in Birmingham, one to avoid!

Went on Saturday. Probably the worst show I've been to! Very poor attendance and poor from an exhibitor point of view as well. I though about asking for my money back.
If not for Gik acoustics and the brilliant Gary from Panasonic it would have been a total waste....

They should go back to Whittlebury great venue,

It is a much better venue, but there's no point unless you can attract decent quality exhibitors. Whittlebury hasn't managed that for the past couple of years and Birmingham this year was even worse imho. :(

Should sound remarkably like my own system!

Mine too and apparently we are in good company......(taken from Lockwood history)

"Lockwood monitors took their place in musical history, being used during the recording of some of the greatest albums of all time. Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Who all recorded with Lockwood monitors. The Rolling Stones even installed them in their innovative mobile recording studio"

Indeed, I can reel out a list of household name films and albums that were recorded through my pair (albeit when they were fitted with Reds rather than my Golds).

I heard a one-off new pair of Lockwoods a few years back and they are fine speakers.

The comments in this thread and elsewhere (and Hifinutt has been pushing it hard on other forums) suggest that the show was basically a disaster. That a relaunch by a small business of an 80 year old brand should dominate the discussion says it all. I've been to three audio shows in 30 years - Wittlebury in 2013 and 2014 and Indulgence last year. Both Wittlebury visits resulted in a purchase. Even in 2014 I perceived few industry "big boys". Indulgence last year had a couple of good rooms, but it too was a confusing maze. Some rooms were just too small for audio. They do appear to be promoting next week's show hard and have made a real effort, with a number of live bands as well. I feel very sorry for the exhibitors that did turn up in Birmingham last weekend.

Both Wittlebury visits resulted in a purchase. I feel very sorry for the exhibitors that did turn up in Birmingham last weekend.

I much prefer an exhibition with fewer visitors. You needn't feel sorry for the exhibitors if the visitors that did turn up were prepared to buy, as I did at the Indulgence show last year. This year may be a different story.
In fact listening to DSD on a portable Astell & Kern machine last year has made me buy one recently.

Not really read much about this year's show, this thread paints a bad picture. Anyone read anything more positive anywhere? They've had good lectures in the past.

Stefan

advertisement

Back