advertisement

Name the best speakers you have EVER heard please

hi,monitor audio studio 60,s,do it for me,also liked big kefs,104.2,103.3,105.4,inthat order,love tannoy golds in lockwood cabs,the paul coupe crossovers make such a difference,regards charlie

uhh...DBLs. Surprised they've not been mentioned yet...guess they aren't that great ;)

Funny one for me, DBLs. The SBL is one of my favourite speakers and I was really looking forward to them when I got to hear them at the factory (a very long time ago). Full active 135 set up and it just didn't sing. I'd love to hear a pair again.

You should buy Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly if nothing else. An amazing album. Everyone should have the original 12” cut of The Message by Grandmaster Flash too, that is a very very good sounding piece of vinyl. Tons more too, but this is maybe not the place to list them. In fact everyone should actually start with Gil Scott Heron’s Pieces Of A Man which is one of the best albums made by anyone ever.

Thanks for the recommendation. Picked up a reissue of Pieces of Man from Ace Records. Very nice gatefold cover, inner sleeve with what looks like original label. May need to explore more reissues from this company.

https://acerecords.co.uk/pieces-of-a-man

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks, some really interesting suggestions there to look up. This was more for curiosity than a genuine desire to upgrade in the near future. But it would be nice to have the info if any stellar speakers turned up used at a bargain price!

It's a real shame that some people have decided to make some kind of point about my choice of music. I thought that sort of thing wasn't done on an enthusiasts forum.

I listen to a wide range of music but it's all of a related genre ie hip hop, rap, electro, drum and bass, jungle, reggae, ragga and even some grime. I can happily defend it as a real form of music and one that has been a form of sociopolitical commentary for decades.

A voice and a channel of expression for those that often are disenfranchised by reason of race, social class, religion etc.

I have no interest in listening to the sort of music that I usually hear at shows and at dealers, ie the usual 'audiophile stuff'. However I respect the fact that music means very different things to different people.

Shame others can't do the same.

These CVs might be a good option:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=272896179197

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
For bass, the best system ive heard has been jbl 4430 or various tannoy 15 inchers or genelec 1038.

Best low end I've listened to is my reference system (not my own) with slightly modified 801Fs - 30cm woofers in a sealed bass bin.

Currently I have a pair of LX521 and I am very happy. The bass presentation is very different from a box speaker, but they reproduce music in a way that really works for me.

How big is your room and how far from the back wall are they?

the problem with large speakers is that when they are drive loud they seem to be impressive ,turned down to domestic level the are disappointing . never choose your speaker at shows either. take speaker home to demo . tannoys are not suitable most rooms , in the right one they are stunning BOX

Small speakers exaggerate the mid-bass to compensate for lack of low- and sub-bass.
Some people get used to this colouration and as a result are disappointed by more "correct" large full-rangers.

To be honest I suspect most people start with a little speaker and love it, then try a mid-sized speaker (e.g. ported slim-floorstander), find it booms and honks, and never even get to try a proper big ‘un which would likely be fine.

Some people get used to the mid-bass hump.

Other love the "soundstage" effect which results from the wide dispersion of small speakers with narrow baffles.

And more than a few don't enjoy a realistically full low end because it doesn't sound subjectively "fast" or "tight".

I'm all for buying whatever one likes but perhaps some people should listen to live unamplified music every now and then to get an idea of what reality sounds like...

My Neat Ultimatum XL6. In the interests of avoiding financial ruin, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever so hear anything ‘better’!!

My old QUAD ESL 57s bought new in 1974, long gone. Mind you I was in the best seat in the house last night to hear Bruckner 8 RSNO Usher Hall, a scratchy performance and I preferred my Gunter Wand CD into my humble Harbeth C7s this morning. Are the very expensive speakers ever compared to live music these days? ie High Fidelity?

Art 20 Sigs really do it for me but I could never afford a pair, not even second hand so I'll stick with my IMF TLS80s. I know they're not perfect by any stretch but they suit me just fine.

Small speakers exaggerate the mid-bass to compensate for lack of low- and sub-bass.
Some people get used to this colouration and as a result are disappointed by more "correct" large full-rangers.
The other effect that can be seen in some small 'speakers played at typical levels, usually not there in their bigger brothers, is moderate level compression. There's an example here (chart4 up to 500Hz) for a 5.25-inch woofer. All being equal, a smaller drive unit has to operate with larger excursion and so reaches its linearity limits earlier.

Other may hear it differently, but to my ears this effect makes a small 'speaker seem louder than a bigger 'speaker played at the same volume. I hypothesise that this may encourage an impression that larger 'speakers don't sound good at lower volume levels.

What someone likes is what someone likes and there's no gainsaying that. But to me, reproducing dynamic range well is essential for a 'speaker to be good. Bigger drivers typically do this better than smaller. I wish we could see more evidence of this effect in reviews that provide technical data.

advertisement

Back