advertisement

Name the best speakers you have EVER heard please

Speakers I have heard several times, either lived with or known well at friends;
Years ago a friend owned a pair of big IMF monitors. My memory of them is probably very inaccurate, but they really got to me at the time.
Linn Isobariks rarely disappoint, in a comfortable musical way
Shahinian Obelisk, I had a pair for years and was always happy but not always blown away.
Merlin VSM, detailed and amazing sound, the best two way box speaker I have heard. I am biased, I still own a pair.

Currently I have a pair of LX521 and I am very happy. The bass presentation is very different from a box speaker, but they reproduce music in a way that really works for me.

the problem with large speakers is that when they are drive loud they seem to be impressive ,turned down to domestic level the are disappointing . never choose your speaker at shows either. take speaker home to demo . tannoys are not suitable most rooms , in the right one they are stunning BOX

the problem with large speakers is that when they are drive loud they seem to be impressive ,turned down to domestic level the are disappointing

How would size affect their ability to play low levels?

the problem with large speakers is that when they are drive loud they seem to be impressive ,turned down to domestic level the are disappointing . never choose your speaker at shows either. take speaker home to demo . tannoys are not suitable most rooms , in the right one they are stunning BOX

I’ve found the exact reverse and that good large speakers can convey the real ease and scale of music at very low level. I also disagree that Tannoys (the really large ones anyway) are unsuited for small rooms. They are exceptionally easy to position IME as their bass response is real without relying on port artifice or other stunts. Vastly more easy to deal with than the typical ported stand-mount or small-driver slim-floorstander IME where the port is working overtime to get any impression of scale or heft. A big speaker like a 12-15” Tannoy, JBL, NS1000 or whatever needs no tricks or slight of hand so is far easier to deal with. They are fine close to boundaries too. I have heard huge Tannoys sounding excellent in rooms barely large enough to get a small equipment table between them! My room is far from large and my large Lockwoods work very well with no annoying booms or honks.

To be honest I suspect most people start with a little speaker and love it, then try a mid-sized speaker (e.g. ported slim-floorstander), find it booms and honks, and never even get to try a proper big ‘un which would likely be fine.

PS Do remember that the proper monitors (various Tannoys, JBLs, NS1000s, LS5/8s etc) are designed to work in a studio control room which is typically far from large.

I entirely agree about not choosing loudspeakers based on "wow" moments at shows and other impressive short-duration demonstrations.

However I have not personally found that turning down the level on loudspeakers with good dynamic range, and so capable of playing loud without distortion, makes them disappointing. In web reviews and forum comments that criticism has been frequently levelled at the 'speakers I currently use and I can't agree.

In fact my view is that good reproduction of especially classical music and jazz demands that 'speakers be capable of cleanly producing output well above average listening levels, so the short-term peaks are not squashed.

I entirely agree about not choosing loudspeakers based on "wow" moments at shows and other impressive short-duration demonstrations.

However I have not personally found that turning down the level on loudspeakers with good dynamic range, and so capable of playing loud without distortion, makes them disappointing. In web reviews and forum comments that criticism has been frequently levelled at the 'speakers I currently use and I can't agree.

In fact my view is that good reproduction of especially classical music and jazz demands that 'speakers be capable of cleanly producing output well above average listening levels, so the short-term peaks are not squashed.
I agree, also the room in which you heard the speakers makes such a large contribution to the overall sound. You really need to hear speakers in your own room.
Keith

IF A DEALER wont do home demos find another dealer. if they have the model you want , they should be run in too. take you favourite music that you know inside out if you listen in shop.

Another Shahinian Diapason post. Love mine. They're what I'd been looking for for years, but was beginning to believe could never be found.

It's funny thinking about this question as I was about to pile in with a few options then realised that I can't answer it.
It's too contextual to location or room.
I've had speakers that I thought were great, moved house and rendered them useless.
I have no context as to how the ones I've heard elsewhere compare next to what I have at home.
Someone earlier mentioned Devialet on Blades. I heard this combo twice and each time they sounded horrendous. But I wouldn't discount them as they could well sound incredible at home (and I've heard KEF's sounding rather good plenty of times before).
I can only say that I have one memory of being absolutely blown away, just the once.
1 track, Phonography (many years ago when they where in Ringwood), Royd RR2, Naim, Rega and Lehman gear.
Just that one track at that one point sounded so lifelike I can still remember it vividly.
My system now probably sounds better side by side, but the moment has never been repeated in the same way.
I think because it was so unexpected and possibly because I'd not heard anything that high end at the time

So after my ramble,I'll stick in Royd RR2's

I’ve found the exact reverse and that good large speakers can convey the real ease and scale of music at very low level. I also disagree that Tannoys (the really large ones anyway) are unsuited for small rooms. They are exceptionally easy to position IME as their bass response is real without relying on port artifice or other stunts. Vastly more easy to deal with than the typical ported stand-mount or small-driver slim-floorstander IME where the port is working overtime to get any impression of scale or heft. A big speaker like a 12-15” Tannoy, JBL, NS1000 or whatever needs no tricks or slight of hand so is far easier to deal with. They are fine close to boundaries too. I have heard huge Tannoys sounding excellent in rooms barely large enough to get a small equipment table between them! My room is far from large and my large Lockwoods work very well with no annoying booms or honks.

To be honest I suspect most people start with a little speaker and love it, then try a mid-sized speaker (e.g. ported slim-floorstander), find it booms and honks, and never even get to try a proper big ‘un which would likely be fine.

PS Do remember that the proper monitors (various Tannoys, JBLs, NS1000s, LS5/8s etc) are designed to work in a studio control room which is typically far from large.

I'd agree, but would also add that medium to large fully active speakers, say a three way with a decent bass driver in them, and preferably acoustic suspension design with no reflex ports, can also give you much, if not quite all of that which you describe re large passive speakers as mentioned.

advertisement

Back