advertisement

Naim

I thought high-end meant expensive, but expensive doesn't always mean good. But if you want an example of a cheaper but just as good alternative, try Densen. I sold my CDS2/XPS/52/Super/135s six-box kit for equivalent Densen (400XS,250,350s) and got a heap of change. I enjoyed my Densen system without a single upgrade for over ten years, before I rediscovered the Japanese vintage high-end.
What amps do you use now then? Do users here have a profile page? I'm new to this site. Just a few days ago I got hold of a Nakamichi CA-5 pre amp, the first part of my post Naim set up.

What amps do you use now then? Do users here have a profile page?

Often wondered if that would be useful. AoS carry the user's kit on every post, I think, but I rarely found a need to peruse it. There are too many pieces of kit to list nowadays, I'd say; much of which certainly mean nothing to an old 'record, CD and tuner' codger like me. Generally, one's kit is mentioned if making a comparative or otherwise appropriate post.

If I turn it off I then have to wait 2 weeks for it to warm up and sound good again.
Hi,
Why don't you get the hair dryer out when you switch it on, to accelerate the warm up, so turning it off is not such a problem.
Regards,
Shadders.

I also enjoyed Naim, 32.5/Hicap/250 with LP12/Ekos/Troika & Linn Saras for about 25 years. I had the kit recapped & added Les W's NCC 200's to the 250 & the fix for the Hicap the system had got its balls back. The NCC 200's remove the hum from the 250 as well as making the amp perform extremely well. I absolutely loved my system & did not look elsewhere, until I bought my CDSII/XPS. My attention was drawn to other makes of equipment which also sounded great, then I found PFM & took notice of some of the opinions expressed on the forum about alternatives to the Naim equipment. Over time this led me to Teddy Pardo. Suffice to say now all my electronics are Teddy and I am impressed every time I put a piece of music on, huge enjoyment factor for me.

Do I knock Naim, no. I do agree the upgraditis that comes to bear is a little irritating for some. Would I buy it again? With both hands, its a learning process or even a rite of passage to be gone through by those fortunate enough to be touched by Naimitis.

Good luck

I don't like the stuff, never have, haven't heard any of it I like other than the Aro and the Geddon. It's all overpriced, but lots of kit is, it's a boutique industry. If you want overpriced, someone mentioned that he fancied some 47Labs kit. £2k for a Gainclone. Crack on.

We don't all hear the same. If you like it, great. I like what I have.

One thing I don't understand is how people can become defensive about their kit. Why should anyone care what I think about Naim hifi? I have Quad, Amcron Crown, AVI and Garrard hifi. If someone wants to call it crap and overpriced, that's fine. Buy something else then. I drive a Mondeo. If that's crap, fine. I'd probably agree, apart from the fact that it cost almost nothing 3 years ago and has since done 45k trouble free miles. My glasses are from Specsavers, not Dior. I wear a Seiko watch, sometimes a Timex. I don't like Rolex watches, but have a look at some of the reactions to that opinion. Who cares? It's just stuff. I don't need anyone else's approval of the choices I make, whether it's hifi, watches, or pots and pans in the kitchen. Do you?

You and your bloody Mondeo!
;)
I know! Can't kill the bloody thing! If it would do me the good service of dying, or at least becoming ratty and showing signs of impending bills, I'd have an excuse to kill it, but it won't. The only things it has wrong are the passenger door C/L is faulty and the fag socket fuse is blown. I can't kill a car for that. I must be turning into my sadly departed friend and his old cars. "Aye, t'Mini Steve... it's aht o'test, Ah just 'ant got rahnd ter fixin' it yet. All it wants is a subframe. And t'brakes freeing off, and t'radius arm bearings aren't great, and a couple o' bits o' suspension. Front swivels, allus, on these. But it's nowt, a weekend and £200 and it's right. It's too good ter kill. T'only thing is, now that Ah've got t'Corolla, it just goes. Ah wa' given that, it wa' aht o'test, all it wanted wa...."

Bloody modern cars are too competent. They should do us the service of dropping off the perch so that we need to get off our backsides and buy another.

This surely looks poor value to me. I believe this is the Flatcap.

This one looks better, much better value. In fact there's too much inside the box and it's looking a little too packed and messy.. the NAC N272. There are reports that this is an excellent piece at a down-to-earth price, and when matched with their reference 555 PSU the performance is elevated to reference level. At the price it looks like a bargain.

272.jpg

The 'Flatcap' is about £800 'worth' of mostly fresh air. The NAC 272 is apparently a pre-amp with an FM/DAB module included. If it suits your ears and ambition, at about £3600, it's a much more reasonable proposition.

The 'Flatcap' is about £800 'worth' of mostly fresh air. The NAC 272 is apparently a pre-amp with an FM/DAB module included. If it suits your ears and ambition, at about £3600, it's a much more reasonable proposition.
It does reflect the fact that the most expensive bits of a hifi are the outer case and the transformer, but it's outrageous that they sell that for £800. However, what do I know? People want to spend their money, and it's theirs to spend. I remember a while back I was in a shop in Leeds and a guy came in, delighted with his Naim whatever that he'd bought a month ago, now in breathlessly asking about what upgrades were on offer to make his new kit even better. He was virtually panting with desire, couldn't wait to get his card out. I wish I could get that excited about ANYTHING, I doubt I'd be that animated if Kylie turned up at the door.

Hang on, that's the door. Not expecting anyone...

I wonder how much anybody here could produce, say, 500 Flat Caps for, AND make a profit, provide warranty and installation, CE certification....

... cover warehouse and distribution, give the dealer a decent cut and pay the vat ...

And don't forget you get genuine Salisbury fresh air in those half empty boxes!

We don't all hear the same. If you like it, great. I like what I have.

One thing I don't understand is how people can become defensive about their kit. Why should anyone care what I think about Naim hifi? I have Quad, Amcron Crown, AVI and Garrard hifi. If someone wants to call it crap and overpriced, that's fine. Buy something else then.
I think the thing that irks us folks who happen to prefer Naim componentry is the quite vitriolic hatred that's heaped on its head, for no valid reason that I can discern. It's like a knee-jerk reaction from the usual suspects, who I'm confident can't have heard all the possible permutations, or it seems the latest kit. I couldn't give a toss either if folk prefer other stuff, that's fine, and you can enjoy their different perspectives. But then what worth the opinions of the haters on other subjects?

Personally, I prefer most Naim amplification over the expensive American valve kit I used to have, but the latter is still enjoyable.

they had a good following for 20yrs,its waining now, its a different company now with a new direction. counting boxes is out of fashion. the only naim i have is NDX and i only use that for a transport.in reality it should go...

One thing that's inescapable - it's given a lot of people a lot of pleasure
over the years - a tradition I'm happy to support & expand upon

they had a good following for 20yrs,its waining now, its a different company now with a new direction.

I'd bet that if they'd continued on the route they were on in the 90s they wouldn't exist af all now.

And I'd like to see a graph showing years against boxes sold.

So my question is Naim over priced and overrated? What are the alternatives? Do you have to pay such a high price in order to enjoy one of life's simple pleasures, that of listening to music?

Depends how you look at it.

Naim are quite unique in a lot of ways so there arnt really many alternatives, Id say the closes being cyrus. But naim still stands out even from these IMHO

The best things in life usually cost, thats one of the general rules. But for listening to music naim are an amazing choice. But you can also get it horribly wrong with naim as well Ive found, the more experience you have with them the better, but this is a bit of a catch 22. There are way cheaper alternatives but naim definitely does something to stand from the crowd.

i have 2 main dealers ive used for best part 30 yrs ,both say old school boxes has slowed up, mind you the new range sounds pretty good , and you don't need a separate psu either, when the muso came, i thought there would be a new path... i have the muso qb thats been all over the house and garden , excellent unit. every one who calls loves it .

advertisement

Back