advertisement

Naim Nait 5i repair

It would be even greater if they said "we'll charge you £350 but to be honest you could get someone else to do it for a six pack of beer". Charging that much for a repair seems like a business strategy, not so much a benefit to the consumer.

When I an LED go out on a secondhand Rega DAC, Rega posted the LED (and a few extras) to Spain free of charge so that I could repair it myself. That's integrity!

But I guess at least they aren't scratching part numbers off and potting circuits in black epoxy like some other people we know...
Hey ,
Sorry to resurect an old thread but my brother back in France has the same led problem on his rega Dac (the light of led in filter 5 doesn’t work anymore ).
Can you explain how does the reparation work or if it’s better to leave it like that ? (It sound and work perfectly apart of the missing led light in filter 5).

Thanks !

Try John Jackson JJS Thatcham (ex Witch Hat, ex Naim)

Can fix most things and reasonably priced, nice chap as well

The fact that you can fix / service most things Naim ever made (and not landfill scenario like many other brands) is a positive IMO

Hey ,
Sorry to resurect an old thread but my brother back in France has the same led problem on his rega Dac (the light of led in filter 5 doesn’t work anymore ).
Can you explain how does the reparation work or if it’s better to leave it like that ? (It sound and work perfectly apart of the missing led light in filter 5).

Thanks !
IIRC the Rega DAC had a PCB behind the faceplate which had small surface mount LEDs behind the logo and indicators. Rega send me a couple LEDs for free and I got my burnt out one replaced. It was tricky because you have to heat both ends of the LED simultaneously to remove it without risking damage to the PCB. But I think someone who does this kind of thing professionally could do it pretty quickly and probably not too expensively. Finding that person is the challenge!

If it just need an LED that needs replacing then it’s a very simple job for anyone competent with surface mount rework. Any reputable mobile phone shop would be able to do that. Given the hassle of shipping anything between the UK and EU now, if definitely try and get it sorted locally.

If it isn’t just the LED (and it may not be, it’s quite unusual for low power LEDs to fail), then the best option would be to send it to Rega, their after sales service is excellent and they won’t rip you off in service fees… they may even fix it for free.

Just a report on the final outcome of the original subject of this thread, I actually ended up purchasing the amp in its faulty state from the OP. It was the optocoupler that had failed, and as I said I would do, I fitted an IC socket in place of the optocoupler, and plugged the new optocoupler into it… it has since been giving sterling service in my lounge/family room system with a range of different sources and speakers… currently used with a Naim CD5x, Arcam IrDac 2 (for TV/streamed music) and a pair of Linn Ninkas… it’s a superb amp, I’d take it over any of the earlier Naits, absolutely worth fixing should you have the same issue.

advertisement

Back