advertisement

Naim Nac 12

I've got an updated 12 according to the information (Class A serviced). Slip it into the system every now and then. Majors on pace and attack and oddly sounds more 'hi-fi' than my Avondale 102, even with 821's in it.

The updated (hicap version) Nac 12s is the worst sounding version imo.

The updated (hicap version) Nac 12s is the worst sounding version imo.

I've not heard any of the others, but would guess by this age their service condition would be more important than model designation?

Does the dual rail supply left/right or is the extra rail directed towards the phono stage?

*Mine are powered by TPX2's

The extra rail was directed at the 321 boards - the unit was serviced and recapped. The Hicap tightened up the sound significantly and put all emphasis on pace and timing, the Nac 12 become very hifi and hard sounding. I wonder if a Hicap is too much for the Nac 12, the same happend when i used the single rail output of the Hicap on another identical single rail 12 example I have here. The Nac 12 just lost the funky groove and flow.
The cards and Hicap are all recently serviced. I have a serviced original cb-Snaps here and this make an ok improvement although the 12 also sounds very good feed from a Nap 120 or 160. Maybe a Snaps2 is best if the 12 is dual railed?

RE: Dual rail. Officially we did it by supplying the 321 gain boards from one rail and everything else from the other.

OK, so at last I have got around to taking some photos of the two Naim NAC12's:

The boards are of the knife edge kind:

NA111/1
NA114/3
NA112/3

The serial number is 0129, so it is very early and looks to be original.

And the other one:

The boards are the later pin type:

NJ 729
NA321/5
NA222/1
NA325

Unfortunately, the label has a broken corner, so I don't know what the serial number is.

The volume pot is an Alps 234G 20K AX2.

The external din dins have been changed(they would have been flush). And I guess the phon plugs run parallel to the gram din ?

The external din dins have been changed(they would have been flush). And I guess the phon plugs run parallel to the gram din ?

Yes, you're right about the dins; wrt the RCA sockets, I haven't checked TBH.

The two NAC12's are on a growing list of projects at the moment.

Nice examples of the Nac 12s you have there wylton.
I think the 222/1 were the first phono cards for the pin type connectors and made in 1976. Very direct and bouncy sounding, great fun.

Just reviving this old thread.

Does this look ok to folks - any sign of modifications?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ri1fvwlrkys588/NAC12-1.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wodwp5udcyng9nb/NAC12-2.png?dl=0

The input selector says 'Phono' instead of 'Gram' so assume its a v3.

The boards are:
2 x 324
2 x 321
2 x 323
1 x 325

The foam on the lid underside is perishing and dropping foam dust everywhere so need to sort that out somehow.

One of the dials has broken in half and been glued back together so need to try and source a replacement too.

Got nothing to connect it to so don't even know if it works properly yet :(

Yes, it's a v3. Looks like a very nice example in original condition. The tantal capacitors are replaced on one of the 324 buffer cards. I had one with similiar motherboard, capacitors and the serial number were around 750.

Thanks Svein.

This is serial 963.

Should I get the caps replaced on the other 324 card?

Have you ever sent one to Naim or Naim authorised dealer for servicing? If so, what did you think? I preferred my Nait 1 after service but this might be different.

Also, what's your preference these days - v2 or v3 ?

I think it's best to replace both 324 cards with Kemet 356-series tants and keep the rest original to keep most of the original sound. However, I use mine with different sets of cards depending on mood,-
No, never serviced any of the 12s I have had here, but have different sets of buffer and gain cards i have recapped.
I think the v/3 is the best sounding without doubt although the v/2 is great fun albeit with less detailed sound. I have also found that the sound varies a good deal between the examples and the later versions are the best sounding of both v/2 and v/3.

Some of the cards in use here:
40550971263_2086f90d54_b.jpg

I think the v/3 is the best sounding without doubt although the v/2 is great fun albeit with less detailed sound. I have also found that the sound varies a good deal between the examples and the later versions are the best sounding of both v/2 and v/3.

Glad to se this thread revised; I still haven't done anything with mine yet! I have two x NAC12 and a NAC22 and a NAP120 all waiting in the workshop. Can someone list the difference between the V1,V2 and V3 and let us know how we can tell what version we have? I know, for instance, that there are differences in the board pins; the early ones had knife edge pins. Also, the labelling, where the early ones had gram whereas the later ones had phono.

Glad to se this thread revised; I still haven't done anything with mine yet! I have two x NAC12 and a NAC22 and a NAP120 all waiting in the workshop. Can someone list the difference between the V1,V2 and V3 and let us know how we can tell what version we have? I know, for instance, that there are differences in the board pins; the early ones had knife edge pins. Also, the labelling, where the early ones had gram whereas the later ones had phono.
I have never seen a V1, but know a person who has owned one and he describe it this way: There was no circuit board everything was hard wired. It was rather untidy and looked like a mass of wires inside.
V2 has knife edge pins.
V3 has 3 series cards like Nac 32 and 72.
I have seen one V3 with gram-label for the phono-input.

There are Nap 120s with BDY55 and BDY56 transistors. The laminate transformers look a bit different between this models too. The latter Nap120 with BDY56s is one of the the most fun and musical sounding amplifier I have ever had.

Last edited:
I have never seen a V1, but know a person who has owned one and he describe it this way: There was no circuit board everything was hard wired. It was rather untidy and looked like a mass of wires inside.
V2 has knife edge pins.
V3 has 3 series cards like Nac 32 and 72.
I have seen one V3 with gram-label for the phono-input. Most likely an early version.

There are Nap 120s with BDY55 and BDY56 transistors. The laminate transformers look a bit different too. The latter Nap120 with BDY56s is the most fun and musical sounding amplifier I have ever had.

Thanks for that; I'll get the cover off the 120 to see what we have in there! I'll get a picture up of the NAC 22 too at some point; it needs some work.

The boards are:
2 x 324
2 x 321
2 x 323
1 x 325

Hi Folks,

Which of these cards can I remove if just using the tuner line input from an external phono stage? Just the 323 and 324 cards?

Also, can I try the cards in my 32.5 in the 12S? I've checked and they would fit. They are 324/6 and 321/3.

Last edited:
Just remove the 322/323 cards if not using the phono input, all the others are required.

They will interchange between 32 if they use the modern pins and receptacles. The version usually relates to board drawing changes rather than components and generally doesn't affect the sound on the older kit. When they changed from hand-drawn to CAD drawn boards roughly in line with the Olive series the presentation changed slightly.

advertisement

Back