advertisement

Naim HiCap vs Teddycap

Shaun555

pfm Member
Hi,

I'm hoping for advice on the above.
I have a Naim CD5X and Flatcap2, Naim 32.5 (soon to be a Naim 282), Naim 300 and Linn Isobariks.

I am told the Flatcap2 in not sufficient and that I need aHiCap2.

Have members and thoughts on the Teddycap3 vs HiCap2

Regards

Shaun

TC3 will be half the price of a HC2
If you buy a used HC2 getting your money back is pretty easy.
It seems that the 2 units are not different by any wide margin, listener preference is what counts and from a purist perspective Naim goes with Naim.
If you are upgrading to a 282 you will need 2 X HC2, thats a pretty hefty outlay.
A dual TC3 is going to be way cheaper as an option.
If money is no object I would be getting a Super cap DR ....... or alternatively get a Teddy super cap.

Thanks - I did not realise that I would need two HiCaps. I will have a look at the Teddy Supercap.

Nice of you to respond so quickly

Cheers

Thanks - I did not realise that I would need two HiCaps. I will have a look at the Teddy Supercap.

Nice of you to respond so quickly

Cheers

You do not need 2 hicaps with a 282, I used a 282 for years with one hicap. I also had a Teddy Supercap, soon changed back to a hicap, it just sounded right.
George

Hi Shaun,
I have a different view on the 82 1/2 HiCap matter.
I preferred the 72 with 1 HC to the 82 with 1HC (I have both, could change forth and back)
The 72 sounded more 'round', complete and easier enjoyable then 82/ 1HC,
which in contrast sounded higher detailled, but on a thin side, so I did hear it was more res, but did not sound convincing like the 72, or...enjoyable.

It was the second HC which made the small but very relevant change,
now it did not sound weak, but finer overall and made the 72 look clumsy somewhat.
The felt 'weakness' with 1 HC changed for finesse, and now the 82 was well capable of getting the hammer out, if asked for.
The 72 in contrast kind of had the hammer out continuously, but it did not fit so much in every situation, and if really asked for the 82 2HC did it well better.

I was suspicious I just got used to the 82 and cheated myself, but changing back I still prefer the 72 1HC to 82 1HC, so I confirmed my 1st findings.

You might not be enthusiastic hearing the 82 with 1HC, coming from a 32,5 1HC.
So I would suggest using the 82 with 2PS, in your case a Dual TeddyCap if you're not into DIY, will be phantastic. Or not at all, then rather 32.5 or 72 with 1 HC.
An 82 cannot be used with a Supercap.
Exactly it can be, but not in the function with Burndy that makes a SC better, but you can use it as 2 HC. The Dual TC will beat that hands down I am sure.

I built a SNAXO with Avondales TPR4 regulators (similar advanced technology to Teddy's)& that smoked my 2 HiCaps away badly.

If you consider DIY, the flatcap with 2x Avondales TPR4 or Teddy Superregs will be a nice solution and give you best vfm.
Otherwise, in original state, bet rid of the FC. It seriously hold back performance of you whole system.

So 82 with Dual TC, or, in your case I'd consider the Teddy Pre, which comes incl. powersupply and, I think I read the pre is internally fired by 6 STR's, should be awesome.
Try a search for Teddy Pre if interested.

Cheers..

Thank you all for your thoughts and taking the time to reply. I will go with the Dual TC as funds are a bit restricted. Once again - much appreciated

Its amazing how complicated things can get with Naim equipment.
I love seeing peoples confusion when they ask what all my black boxes do?
Answer......well sit down and listen :)

Hi Shaun,
I have a different view on the 82 1/2 HiCap matter.
I preferred the 72 with 1 HC to the 82 with 1HC (I have both, could change forth and back)
The 72 sounded more 'round', complete and easier enjoyable then 82/ 1HC,
which in contrast sounded higher detailled, but on a thin side, so I did hear it was more res, but did not sound convincing like the 72, or...enjoyable.

It was the second HC which made the small but very relevant change,
now it did not sound weak, but finer overall and made the 72 look clumsy somewhat.
The felt 'weakness' with 1 HC changed for finesse, and now the 82 was well capable of getting the hammer out, if asked for.
The 72 in contrast kind of had the hammer out continuously, but it did not fit so much in every situation, and if really asked for the 82 2HC did it well better.

I was suspicious I just got used to the 82 and cheated myself, but changing back I still prefer the 72 1HC to 82 1HC, so I confirmed my 1st findings.

You might not be enthusiastic hearing the 82 with 1HC, coming from a 32,5 1HC.
So I would suggest using the 82 with 2PS, in your case a Dual TeddyCap if you're not into DIY, will be phantastic. Or not at all, then rather 32.5 or 72 with 1 HC.
An 82 cannot be used with a Supercap.
Exactly it can be, but not in the function with Burndy that makes a SC better, but you can use it as 2 HC. The Dual TC will beat that hands down I am sure.

I built a SNAXO with Avondales TPR4 regulators (similar advanced technology to Teddy's)& that smoked my 2 HiCaps away badly.

If you consider DIY, the flatcap with 2x Avondales TPR4 or Teddy Superregs will be a nice solution and give you best vfm.
Otherwise, in original state, bet rid of the FC. It seriously hold back performance of you whole system.

So 82 with Dual TC, or, in your case I'd consider the Teddy Pre, which comes incl. powersupply and, I think I read the pre is internally fired by 6 STR's, should be awesome.
Try a search for Teddy Pre if interested.

Cheers..

I hear what you are saying about the 32, I cant see that there is a more value packed pre available for the money.
Agree with you on the 82 its a waste of time running them on 1 Hicap.
In percentage terms what would you say is the increase in listening enjoyment 32/72 against the 82?

Yes, the 32.5 & 72 are both great& agree vfm of 32 is unmatched.
it's hard to give a percentage.. I feel it doesn't work that way.
It depends a lot on what you listen to, the get used to the sound
and you could take my 82 away, I could enjoy the 32 or 72 without probs.
More important I would suggest is an excellent PS.

The 82 with good supplys is finer, it also sounds leaner if you come from a 72,
but on certain pieces , in certain moments it portays things in a way that puts an admiring smile to your face.

Depending on music, taste and rest of system, it doesn't have to be everyones thing.
The 32 & 72 is said to be upgrade-able via cards from Ryan Soundlab,
and is said to go past 82, some say even further in SQ,
but I have not yet tried this. The cards must be seriously good, though.
http://ryansoundlab.com

If the cost is justified vs. a possible Teddy Pre is another question..

Yes, the 32.5 & 72 are both great& agree vfm of 32 is unmatched.
it's hard to give a percentage.. I feel it doesn't work that way.
It depends a lot on what you listen to, the get used to the sound
and you could take my 82 away, I could enjoy the 32 or 72 without probs.
More important I would suggest is an excellent PS.

The 82 with good supplys is finer, it also sounds leaner if you come from a 72,
but on certain pieces , in certain moments it portays things in a way that puts an admiring smile to your face.

Depending on music, taste and rest of system, it doesn't have to be everyones thing.
The 32 & 72 is said to be upgrade-able via cards from Ryan Soundlab,
and is said to go past 82, some say even further in SQ,
but I have not yet tried this. The cards must be seriously good, though.
http://ryansoundlab.com

If the cost is justified vs. a possible Teddy Pre is another question..

Convinced me, I have plugged my 32 in again......FAB.
Will look into the ryans cards......agree PS is important.
Extra dimensions in sound and different themes of music I agree. A good compromise I have just happened upon is an Nsub with a bit of fiddling and programming of the modes bang for buck listening pleasure is well increased.

I had a 82 , and I was powering it with a supercap. I much preferred this setup to a hicap. I also loaned a 72 for a short while. I was glad to get the 82 back. I know of 2 others who much preferred the 82 as well.
See if you can try out a supercap. These days they're relatively cheap. I reckon if you are running in Nap 300 territory , 82 /supercap would be worthwhile.

Its amazing how complicated things can get with Naim equipment.
I love seeing peoples confusion when they ask what all my black boxes do?
Answer......well sit down and listen :)

Ha!
"Well this one is an amplifier, and so is this one... and this one is a power supply, and these three also. This is another power supply, and this last one is another amplifier..." :)

I had a 82 , and I was powering it with a supercap. I much preferred this setup to a hicap.

If you compare a Supercap to HiCap on the 82, you have to compare it vs 2 HiCaps to get a qualified answer.
I'm not sure if the SC is much better then (if at all, technically it's said to be the same..) + if you add 2 TPR4 + new Kendeils into the HCs, I would not place bets on the SC.
I haven't tried it, but from many opinions I read I assume a Dual Teddycap would give a SC a run for it's money.
Did you consider there could be a reason SCs are to be had so much cheaper today..?

I don't know many people who would agree a SC makes sense on an 82,
personally I consider it nonsense from vfm.

Mind I have an 82 myself, so I'm not trying to persuade anyone away from an 82, just I can't but admire 32 & 72 for what they do at reasonable cost.

If I imagine I had a 32.5 and was willing to upgrade in the future,
I add the price of the Ryan Soundlab cards,
the price of a Teddy Cap (now fairly bejond 82 in performance I'm sure)
+ the price of a Teddy Pre

Compare this to the price of an 82 + SC (s/h)
I guess you'd pay less or similar for way nr.1
+ you can easily sell on Teddy Cap as well as Ryan Cards.

And you end up with a performance the 82 is far from being capable of, but at more reasonable cost.
Teddy Pre is said to put away 52+SC with ease from nearly all opinions I heard.

I think for the price of a HiCap the OP might want to try a JVC 1010TN. Have a look at the comments in the classic room :)

advertisement

Back