advertisement

Naim cd5 upgrade

erchie84

Hondo
Hi guys
2 questions..... First looking to upgrade my hicapped cd5 what can you suggest for starters .... Or is there someone who can upgrade the cd5? Im no diyer so would need someone to do it
Thanks and merry Christmas

I really wouldn't do anything to it, if I were you. It could destroy its value. Personally it's not my favourite Naim product, tho' I've not heard one with a hicap. You could find out what the difference is with the CD5i but really I wouldn't look beyond interconnects for improvements and there are plenty of other decks that are much cheaper that respond to simple modding.

If you are using the standard Naim interconnect and like it, try something from Chord. Naim may even do a better one for their more upmarket players. The other place is the mains lead. Theirs will be pretty good, so you won't find a better one off the shelf, but some of the lashed up thicker cabled ones on eBay and elsewhere could make the improvements you are after without splashing out on Naim's £400 one.

as Christian says.

From my few months with a CD5, I recall a smooth sound, with maybe slightly recessed detail (mind you, I was comparing with a CD3.5 and a CDX...).

For the CD5, I found the following changes delivered good improvements, without modding -

AR Sound Green Link din-din signal cable (more detail, more bass definition)

Avondale SPX psu - In my experience this is pound-for-pound the best psu for mid-range Naim CD players. At one stage I had a HiCap, SPX and Sonic Bliss available for direct comparison, and the SPX was (for me) the most musical and engaging.

Power Cable - I have found that a decent after-market screened cable raises the game of Naim CD players and Amps. As Christian says, it need not cost the earth to find out. Speaking of earth, opting for a hydra may bring add some clarity to proceedings.

Lastly, Naim CD players do respond to isolation platforms, and need to be absolutely flat. So there's a definite need for a spirit level, plus room to experiment with the best platform material to your ears - glass / wood / MDF / marble / Granite etc

Hello 1000RPM,

Would you be able to share with us which power cables you prefer with the Naim CD players?

Also, which platforms you have found to work well with the Naim CD players.

Thank you very much.

For starters can I suggest you buy the Avondaled Snaps that is for sale in the classifieds at an excellent price and put that on it, Hicap performance for £150!

What is it sitting on? It does respond well to different stands (ducks).

I have a hicapped CD5. I tried both a powerline and hi-line with it. Bought the hi-line.

Is your mains sorted (i.e separate spur)? Cheapest and best upgrade I ever made.

It rather depends on what you want. If you'd like improved performance musically speaking then a little low cost modding will easily outperform any amount of fancy cables and supports. Will it impact the price, well I sold one recently and got a good Market price. There's plenty of info here about cd5 mods. Horses for courses.

Hi guys
2 questions..... First looking to upgrade my hicapped cd5 what can you suggest for starters .... Or is there someone who can upgrade the cd5? Im no diyer so would need someone to do it
Thanks and merry Christmas

Stay clear of any internal mods or changes, sound may be sidegraded but value will drop.

Many other options available:

External Power supply (SnapsII is very good VFM)
Interconnects
Power cables
Support
or get a higher Naim cd.

advertisement

Back