advertisement

Naim Audio power supply output voltages

Whizzy

pfm Member
I looking for a good quality 24vdc linear power supply to run a preamp, does anyone know if any of the Naim power supplies have an output of around 24vdc. Thanks.

It is not actually the 'DC' specification precision of a linear PSU that matters for audio - but it's AC performance wideband.

Strange - but true ;)

(classic Naim happily runs on any DC supply 22-28vDC, but MJS has supplied the factory detail)

It is not actually the 'DC' specification precision of a linear PSU that matters for audio - but it's AC performance wideband.

I would never choose to disagree, but even though "high quality" has no actual meaning, such a wide spec' for the output would be laughable when viewed against a demand for "high quality" in any general, run of the mill PSU.
If I wanted a very ordinary PSU for something like anodising tantalum, it had better be accurate and control to better than 0.1V, better 0.01V, or it would never be considered.

Oh, sure! And surely anodising would be more about constant-current, than voltage - tho' voltage might well be a proxy for this in a big tank - I don't know, I've not yet had a go! : )

Either way - it really doesn't matter like that, for audio. What does - is low (ideally, very low) and - perhaps just as much - 'resistive' characteristic impedance of supply vs frequency.

That's actually easy to achieve, and the hard limit is the interconnect and connectors. So - there is a limit also, to what 'a bunch of regs in a offboard box' can bring...

(the ultimate limit remains the circuit -served, its layout, and the cap bypass strategy & geometry.
If you still need 'better' voltage regulation having sorted those issues - site the regulation as damn-physically-close to that requirement, as you can)

Teddy Pardo also makes some very good ones :

I looking for a good quality 24vdc linear power supply to run a preamp, does anyone know if any of the Naim power supplies have an output of around 24vdc. Thanks.

What is special about a Naim LPS? Sbooster provides a 24v LPS too - I supply one with my 'Muse' phono stage. There's also the iFi audio iPower Elite.

I want it for a bit of an experiment, to see if it will be as good or better than the AGM battery supply I’m currently using. If it’s not, then I want to be able to sell it on without losing too much money. Unfortunately the power supplies you mention although excellent choices do not appear to be readily available second hand. If however they were bought new I feel the resale potential would be limited due to being 24v, which is far from the most popular voltage. However, second hand Naim units are plentiful and easily bought and sold, so hopefully meet my needs.

I want it for a bit of an experiment, to see if it will be as good or better than the AGM battery supply I’m currently using. If it’s not, then I want to be able to sell it on without losing too much money. Unfortunately, the power supplies you mention although excellent choices do not appear to be readily available second hand. If however they were bought new I feel the resale potential would be limited due to being 24v, which is far from the most popular voltage. However, second hand Naim units are plentiful and easily bought and sold, so hopefully meet my needs.

Totally understand! 👍

Googling 'AGM' - they appear to be Lithium batteries ... rather than SLAs?

If so, my experience may not be relevant ... but I have used both a 24v SLA setup (2x 12v SLAs in series) and a 24v Sbooster, for the 'Muse' phono stage which I make.

I first chose SLAs because I thought they had to be a "low noise" supply - which is good for a phono stage.

Then I decided to try out the 24v Sbooster (when it first appeared). My conclusion was:
* the Sbooster gave nothing away to the SLAs, in terms of noise floor
* but it seemed to better deliver the leading edges of transients.

The AMG batteries I am using are based on lead acid cells. I had then
Totally understand! 👍

Googling 'AGM' - they appear to be Lithium batteries ... rather than SLAs?

If so, my experience may not be relevant ... but I have used both a 24v SLA setup (2x 12v SLAs in series) and a 24v Sbooster, for the 'Muse' phono stage which I make.

I first chose SLAs because I thought they had to be a "low noise" supply - which is good for a phono stage.

Then I decided to try out the 24v Sbooster (when it first appeared). My conclusion was:
* the Sbooster gave nothing away to the SLAs, in terms of noise floor
* but it seemed to better deliver the leading edges of transients.
The AGM (absorbent glass mat) batteries I’m using are a type of modified lead acid cell which I have temporarily lashed together with a bit of wire and fuses. I had them knocking around from a disused burglar alarm, so thought I would give them a go to see if they improved on the Chinese linear power supply I was then using. It’s not an over statement to say I was quite taken aback with the improvement in just all aspects of reproduction, tone, micro detail, decay, the notes just seem to hang in the air, a really rewarding musical experience. However, before I start the process of transforming the lash up into a professional affair I thought I would test out a decent quality power supply to see if I can accomplish anywhere near the same results with less effort.

I ran a 62 from 4 12v burglar alarm battery’s it sounded terrible like an AM radio compaired to a simple lm317 regulated supply.

Pete

I ran a 62 from 4 12v burglar alarm battery’s it sounded terrible like an AM radio compaired to a simple lm317 regulated supply.

Pete
There are many different types of battery Pete, what type were you using, were they the AGM type like I have used?

Batteries have very good isolation, but some can be surprisingly noisy. Because they are very low impedance, slapping a capacitor across it doesn't help much, and you end up needing to use a regulator anyway.

advertisement

Back