advertisement

Nad M32 v Auralic Polaris v Leema Quasar

KWB1

pfm Member
Im after an Integrated Desktop Amplifier with lots of power and must have asynchronous usb with stereo Pre outs for twin subwoofers

I have managed to listen to both the Nad M32 and the Leema of which both have the required inputs/outputs and was very impressed with both - the leema had tremendous power and sounded very clean - the Nad M32 seemed to not have quite the guts but has a better DSP in regards to crossovers to the subs - I’m not sure the leema has that

Not had chance to hear the Polaris though and would assume it to be a least on par

Anyone heard these and what are your thoughts and what would you pick?

Ken

The Polaris sounds great Ken. It uses Hypex modules in the power amp section, as does the NAD M32 I believe. I have one on demo if you would like to hear it.

I've tried the usual suspects (none of the above mentioned though) don't underestimate the Naim Superuniti, Its a bargain ATM as the new Uniti range has been released.

Putting SQ aside for a moment, you need to consider the facilities you need and how you might use this, now and in the future.

The Polaris has the capability of an internal hard drive and to act as a music server. This concept works brilliantly in the Aries Mini and may be useful for you.

You should also consider how you'll operate the unit. The Leema, for example, has a streamer but it's one they 'bought in', as it were. It is fairly basic and you can't control the amp from the app, just the streamer part. I've not seen the App control for the Polaris, but if anything like the Aries Mini it'll work very well indeed.

The Polaris can't match the Leema for outright power, if that's important.

The M32 will need the BluOS module to have streaming functionality and again that app works well. It'd also give you full MQA capability on Tidal, if important to you.

I would have some concerns as to the physically small size of the Polaris, given all its contents. My Aries Mini does get quite warm in operation.

For flexibility and control, given your need for subwoofers, I think I'd be looking first at the NAD.

They're all going to be good on the SQ front; that's a subjective judgment only you can make!

Sorry for the late responses..

The Polaris sounds great Ken. It uses Hypex modules in the power amp section, as does the NAD M32 I believe. I have one on demo if you would like to hear it.

I will give it some thought Lee as the Nad ticks all the boxes - will have another listen

I've tried the usual suspects (none of the above mentioned though) don't underestimate the Naim Superuniti, Its a bargain ATM as the new Uniti range has been released.

No asynchronous USB

Putting SQ aside for a moment, you need to consider the facilities you need and how you might use this, now and in the future.

The Polaris has the capability of an internal hard drive and to act as a music server. This concept works brilliantly in the Aries Mini and may be useful for you.

You should also consider how you'll operate the unit. The Leema, for example, has a streamer but it's one they 'bought in', as it were. It is fairly basic and you can't control the amp from the app, just the streamer part. I've not seen the App control for the Polaris, but if anything like the Aries Mini it'll work very well indeed.

The Polaris can't match the Leema for outright power, if that's important.

The M32 will need the BluOS module to have streaming functionality and again that app works well. It'd also give you full MQA capability on Tidal, if important to you.

I would have some concerns as to the physically small size of the Polaris, given all its contents. My Aries Mini does get quite warm in operation.

For flexibility and control, given your need for subwoofers, I think I'd be looking first at the NAD.

They're all going to be good on the SQ front; that's a subjective judgment only you can make!

Thanks - Im waiting for a callback from Sevenoaks regarding a price - the Nad M32 will look very nice under the iMac..

...My Aries Mini does get quite warm in operation.

The latest firmware update includes tweaks to make the Aries Mini run cooler. This firmware is currently still in beta, but I have it on good authority that the Aries Mini parts are final.

The Brooklyn AMP is a brand new product and only arrived a couple of days ago. I have not had an opportunity to compare it side-by-side with anything else yet, but so far I am really enjoying it. You will find all of the specs for the Brooklyn DAC+ and Brooklyn AMP, as well as plenty of reviews of the original Brooklyn DAC here...

https://www.strictlystereo.com/mytek/

advertisement

Back