1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

NAC Servicing

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Southgate, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Southgate

Southgate pfm Member

Is servicing a NAC 72 something a novice DIYer could do?
    What's required parts wise and rough cost?

Tried searching, but couldn't find much.

2. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

If you can solder/desolder and aren't colour blind you can service a 72, which parts do you think might need servicing on it?

3. Southgate

Southgate pfm Member

Well i'm hoping to buy one in the next week or so. I was going to wait for a serviced one to come up, but they all seem to be unserviced.

Trying to factor in cost of general 12 year service into what I pay.

Im not colour blind and I can solder... so might buy unserviced and try it myself.
    I would be doing whatever Naim would do in there 12 year factory service.

4. binnie

binnie Binnie

If you want to do it by yourself, just have a look here (under "the preamp bible"):
    http://www.acoustica.org.uk/

But if you do not want your 72 to devalue (I mean for a further sell) you may also consider the 321s and 729s cards from Neil here on this forum.
    The acoustica mods are already in.
    You can then buy the components you want and try a lot of alternative caps (in this case welcome to the club :D).
    If you do not want to bother with ordering caps, tranies etc... , I think Neil proposes them already built.
    Another serious and great alternative are the 821s from Les at Avondale.
    You can return them if you are not satisfied ...
    Basically, these are the three possibilities.
    Olivier

5. misterc6

misterc6 What's he building in there?

Absolutely! You'll get all kinds of opinions but you've asked for servicing as opposed to upgrading and, in order to maintain the Naim sound, I'd advise just replacing the critical components that deteriorate with time with the best modern equivalents:

replace all the coupling capacitors, like for like with 10 uf 35v tant beads, Farnell have a good Kemet (Cat # 1650978) they're 92p + VAT each and you'll need 4 for the 321 boards, 4 for the 729 boards plus whatever other boards you have fitted.

replace all the maroon ROE 47 uf 40V electrolytic capacitors with Nichicon Muse KZ series 47 uf 50V (they must be KZ) which can be found on eBay for around £1 a piece.

Very easy to do as all the boards unplug and the only skills required are desoldering and soldering. If you can't do it yourself, send me the boards and I'll do it for you.

malcolm

6. binnie

binnie Binnie

Sorry Southgate,

I was to quick, Misterc6 is right, if you "only" want to service your 72, then look into his post. If you want to modify (upgrade) your 72 then you can have a look at the three possibilities I mentioned.
    Enjoy your 72 :)
    Olivier

7. Southgate

Southgate pfm Member

So are most/all the service components contained on the replacement 321 and 729 cards?

8. BobMaximus

BobMaximus pfm Member

Not really since these are not original cards that have merely been serviced. They are alternative cards that do not sound the same as the Naim originals.

9. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

If you want to keep the naim sound and service as opposed to 'upgrading' (arguable a word anyway) as close as humanly poss, do exactly as misterc6 suggests: 47uf/50v muse kz's and generic but decent 10uf/35v tants. costwise summat like ~£30.

be aware though that you will undoubtedly be devaluing it by such a diy service, however well you do it. Although if done well enough i wouldn't neccesarily be too bothered- but most will.

10. Southgate

Southgate pfm Member

If these cards were changed for new ones, would there be anything else left to change?

11. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

well yes the 324 cards and phono cards ideally need a tickle too.

12. Southgate

Southgate pfm Member

I thought the NJ 321 and 729 cards still keep the 'naim sound'?
    Whereas the Avondale mods tend to alter the naim presentation more?

13. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Correct on both counts.

14. BobMaximus

BobMaximus pfm Member

It depends on who you choose to believe. I have learned to believe no one.

15. misterc6

I've got a 72. I don't intend parting with it. The way to retain the Naim sound is simply to replace the components I mentioned. You can do it yourself for less than £30. You could e-mail or phone Naim and ask how much they would charge for the work, just make sure you are sitting down to hear the answer. Maybe have a glass of medicinal brandy (preferably Armagnac) close to hand!

BTW I'm assuming that you have a HiCap, or a clone as a separate power supply. That's the best upgrade going!

malcolm

16. BobMaximus

BobMaximus pfm Member

I've got some isopropanol. Will that do?

17. misterc6

Please can you send me some - I use it for cleaning. I used to get it from the pharmacist but now he takes one look at me and sends me away :D

malcolm

18. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Having purchased both NJ (built by NJ himself) and Avondale boards for my 72 and compared both sets with each other and the Naim originals, I can say they both alter the Naim sound.

The NJ boards stay nearer the roiginal Naim "olive" sound while taking it patially in the direction of the current black box range, whether that is better depends very much on taste !!!
    I sold my NJ boards and kept the Avondale 821A boards. Personally, I preferred the more natural, open, wide frequency ebb and flow of the Avondale boards.

Nigel

19. batjodel

batjodel pfm Member

When considering the de - value of a DIY service - Class A quote £100 - £139A DIY service is £30. Therefore if you sold the amp on got £100 less than the Class A serviced amp you would not be financially embarrassed!

I have bought Unc Nig's NJ321 and 729 cards! Just installed them in my 32.5 this weekend.

They do not sound like the naim originals!

They blow the whole soundstage wide open, the midrange becomes much more natural and looses its 'darkness.' The portrayal is probably more lively, although this effect is easing with use.

I find the whole effect far more revealing, and I believe (in my system) it is a bigger upgrade than going from SNAPS to Hi CAP.

I intend to run them for 3 weeks or so and then put the naim boards back in to see which I prefer.

Dave

20. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

That's because a PS upgrade is a relatively subtle thing compared to replacing the entire gain stage.