advertisement

NAC 42 volume pot failing?

Colinb

pfm Member
My NAC 42 suddenly started playing at ear splitting volume mid track earlier. Its a very early example (s.n 0123) and has the original ALPS black pot. Turning it back to zero and up again corrected the problem so my assumption is that the volume pot needs replacing. Is that the most likely cause ?

Check the connections on the ground side of the pot. If the zero end of the track becomes disconnected from ground then the pot just becomes a series resistance and the volume would rise in the way that you describe. The intermittent nature of the fault sounds like it could be a dry or cracked solder joint maybe on the motherboard below - it could be the pot itself but that's a more unusual way for one to fail.

Good luck

Leaky tants = crackly volume and balance in all positions when turned.
Oxidised or worn wipers on pots usually means crackles in certain heavily used positions
Full volume is more often a faulty internal connection to the pot tracks rather than a dry joint but you may be lucky.

They're replaced by the Blue Velvet 20k Audio log taper model but would need flying leads as the body is much smaller.

Think you can buy a kit with a motorized pot and remote control to replace the pot??
Might be worth looking into..

Thanks for the replies. I shall take the motherboard out this evening and investigate further. I have a spare gigaworks 20k stepped attenuator in my parts box if needed.

advertisement

Back