advertisement

Mytek Manhattan I vs II - and is the phono stage in Manhattan II seriously good?

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
Hi.
Having looked through the Mytek Brooklyn thread, I happened to stumble across a local seller of a s/h Mytek Manhattan I at less than 2/3 of the price for a new one (4000€ - seen at THomann.de). It is upgradeable to Manhattan II status.

Now I wonder how the Manhattan I stacks up against the Manhattan II?
- And is the phono stage in the Manhattan II so seriously good that I may as well sell my EAR 868PL (and keep the non-phono stage version)?

Has anyone listened to the Mahattan II?
Has anyone tested the phono module in Manhattan II?
Thanks.

It seems that only an extremely select few has been able to listen to the optional phono board so it is anybody's guess if it is comparable to top spec phono stages.

As for the Manhattan, I would still like some idea as to sound differences between the I and II if only just to know if they are in the same class as T+A Dac 8 DSD, Ayre QB9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Wadia 322, McIntosh D150, Bricasti DACs etc

Can't speak for the Manhattan, but the phono stage in the Brooklyn is considerably better than the standalone Dynavector P75 I was using previously (this with AT33 PTG Anniversary MC cartridge). That genuinely surprised me in a very good way :)

I also really like the phono stage of the Brooklyn with a Denon 103, but I have also only dabbled in sub $300 dollar phono stages prior to it

James.
That is what I also did until a few years ago. I am just curious about Phono stages in DACs. The first time I ever heard about such a thing was John Westlake's MDAC2/FDAC project and later Devialet.

The Mytek Manhattan II, which coincidentally seems to have some features in common with the long-awaited Westlake DAC, is supposed to have a very good preamp stage in it. And a good phono stage. But I am not willing to buy blind any longer. I need something more than hearsay or adverts and reviews.

Thanks. Good to know. I have too much kit in the house right so that would involve trade in etc.

I live in Denmark, so probably better to shop closer to home. But thanks. I am still thinking about the Manhattan I where I would possibly trade in my EAR 868L. I could upgrade later to Manhattan II and then sell on the phono-staged EAR 868PL if the preamp and phono stage in the Manhattan II turned out to be good enough.

As I mentioned in the Brooklyn thread, I have a Manhattan II and a Brooklyn. The phono stage is not yet available for the Manhattan II; mine is due within the next month or so. When I get it, I'll post some comments. I do know that it is a different design to the phono stage in the Brooklyn, being SUT based. For the moment, as I said on the Brooklyn thread, in my opinion, the Manhattan II out performs the Brooklyn across the board, both as a DAC and a line level analogue preamp. It also has some features that the Brooklyn doesn't, like a home theatre pass-through facility. I have not heard the original Manhattan, but it did get good reviews.

Thanks for the comments Timcat. Much appreciated. Interesting that the phono board will be SUT-based.
The list of Mytek Mahattan II specs is impressive.

Would anyone here be able to confirm output voltage, single ended in bypass mode? A look at the specs on the Mytek Mahattan II webpage does not appear to specify.

TIA

Would anyone here be able to confirm output voltage, single ended in bypass mode? A look at the specs on the Mytek Mahattan II webpage does not appear to specify.

TIA

There is nothing in the manual on this, but, as it's a pass-through, the output will depend upon the input voltage. So, if your processor has a good enough output to drive your power amps, there should not be a problem. I use the XLR connections and the output easily drives my Power amps on pass-through, with normal volume control settings on my surround processor.

As I mentioned in the Brooklyn thread, I have a Manhattan II and a Brooklyn. The phono stage is not yet available for the Manhattan II; mine is due within the next month or so. When I get it, I'll post some comments. I do know that it is a different design to the phono stage in the Brooklyn, being SUT based. For the moment, as I said on the Brooklyn thread, in my opinion, the Manhattan II out performs the Brooklyn across the board, both as a DAC and a line level analogue preamp. It also has some features that the Brooklyn doesn't, like a home theatre pass-through facility. I have not heard the original Manhattan, but it did get good reviews.

The phono stage has been installed in my Manhattan II. Listening tests will have to wait until the weekend, but I'll post my first impressions then.

The phono stage has been installed in my Manhattan II. Listening tests will have to wait until the weekend, but I'll post my first impressions then.

I have only had a few hours with the Manhattan II phono card, but here are my initial thoughts.

My TT is an LP12/Ittok/Lingo (current version) with a Benz Micro Wood SL cartridge. I also have a Linn Linto phono head amp.

On switch-on the Mytek phono card sounded terrible; is it faulty, is it going to have to go back? I turned off the power amps and played a few sides through the Mytek in silence. I powered up the amps and tried again. OK, it is now a lot better, but not yet good you understand. I then plugged the TT into the Linto and the Linto into the Manhattan II’s line input. It was better, but not as it should be.

Now, when I sent my Manhattan back to Mytek, for the phono card to be fitted, they replaced it with a new unit (my original unit had a faulty power switch) complete with the phono card and up-graded PSU, which the early Manhattan II’s need for the phono card to work. I had used the digital side of the new unit for a week and it was performing very nicely, so I deduced that the analogue input side and phono card needed running in.

I played records through the Manhattan II for a couple of hours and left it powered up with the phono input selected overnight. I then gave it another listen. Much better now! Initially, the Linto still seemed more detailed and relaxed (via the Manhattan’s line input or via the analogue input of my Audiolab CDQ), but after a while the Manhattan’s phono card caught up; by the end of the day, the Linto/CDQ had been overtaken and the Linto/Manhattan line input was being equalled or possibly edged out by the Manhattan phono card (the SUT with 1k ohm impedance seemed the best).

The analogue side of the Manhattan II (including the phono card) has only been in use for an evening and half a day and it is still changing, so I can’t give a final opinion yet. I’ll post again once it has fully settled down.

advertisement

Back