advertisement

My Grandad's film cameras

If I remember correctly, there is a knurled thingy next to the hinged attachment of the winding lever that lets you re-cock the shutter without advancing the film, for intentional double (or multiple) exposure. It is described in the manual.
Thanks for the help.
Yes, I know that - it's unlikely I did it inadvertantly. I have another roll in, and will keep a little diary of exactly what I do each shot, and see if it happens again on this film.

One on each film.
Intriguing! Is it always the same frame?
You could try taking a "sacrificial" roll of film and running it through the camera a few times. If the camera has been sitting idle for a long time there may be a chance it will snap out of it. Good pun, no?

Both frame 12 (the other one I was pleased with too, I'll post it here some time). The camera was supposedly overhauled, so I'd have hoped they'd have checked the film wind/shutter cock relationship was working ok - but then again if it only occurs one time in twelve, perhaps it wasn't noticed.

Last edited:
Both frame 12 (the other one I was pleased with too, I'll post it here some time). The camera was supposedly overhauled, so I'd have hoped they'd have checked the film wind/shutter cock relationship was working ok - but then again if it only occurs one time in twelve, perhaps it wasn't noticed.

That's interesting. Normally, after frame 12 is exposed, you crank the advance lever and it continues to go round and round forever so the film gets all wound up on the "exit" spool. So after you have shot frame 12, what number is in the window? And after you have cranked again, can you feel the film being wound on (I suppose not!) and does the lever stop? But the shutter is re-cocked. And after you expose the inexistent frame 13, does the crank then wind the film on forever? I keep thinking that sacrificing a roll of film to see what happens, with the back open, might be interesting. Very mysterious!

That's interesting. Normally, after frame 12 is exposed, you crank the advance lever and it continues to go round and round forever so the film gets all wound up on the "exit" spool. So after you have shot frame 12, what number is in the window? And after you have cranked again, can you feel the film being wound on (I suppose not!) and does the lever stop? But the shutter is re-cocked. And after you expose the inexistent frame 13, does the crank then wind the film on forever? I keep thinking that sacrificing a roll of film to see what happens, with the back open, might be interesting. Very mysterious!
Watching very carefully and writing down each shot. Will see what happens with this roll.

advertisement

Back