advertisement

My best shot

My all-time favourite is imperfect in so many ways; it was handheld at almost a 1s exposure, indoors, only firelight, it’s noisy (Canon 10D) and I could barely see for tears due to the smoke in the room. But, against all the odds, I think I caught a little bit of magic, a painting-like quality. Most of my pictures are competent if uninspiring (IMHO) but I am quite proud of this one:

04-E717-A3-5732-4-A33-96-D1-A529747-C99-B0.jpg" alt="04-E717-A3-5732-4-A33-96-D1-A529747-C99-B0

Always been fond of this shot. The light and the bends in the tree trunks in the middle of the shot make it for me.

No great story. It’s a small copse of trees in a field alongside the reservoir in my village, though I had to crawl through a hedgerow to get in position for the shot.

DSCF0412_1024px.jpg

The Black House.

This - an image of a harsh life, in the form of a homestead fundamentally unchanged in c 5000yrs. The diffusion is only smoke from the enduring peat fire.

3yrs ago; had some time to spend, for myself; this I call my best in many years, because - I did not want to leave.: I felt an astonishing sense of belonging: the light, the landscape, the place. It calls me yet.

I think this one is mine. I think it looks like a still from a 40s Powell and Pressburger-type film with a painted backdrop. Someone asked me how I did it, and of course the answer was ‘I have no idea, it just came out of the camera like that.’ I’m not even sure if any of it is absolutely in focus. Possibly part of the charm.

51953352649_cb2ef9af30_b.jpg

Last edited:
I keep coming back to this one - I have a lovely print on the wall (thanks @Lefty) so see a lot of it and it just always seems 'right' to me. Nothing jars - the subject, quality, colours, composition, and the memory of the time.

We were driving in Kruger on a quiet dirt road and saw this leopard resting in a tree right by the road. It's rare enough there to get pretty excited and to be there alone was such a privilege. We stayed an hour or so in complete tranquility watching her (I assume female but don't really know). At one point she climbed around the back and emerged through a fork in the trunk.. and gave us that look. Spine tingling at the time and a few years on we value the sighting as probably our best Kruger experience yet.

This is what I use as a main 'promotional' shot. It's edited but not massively, and the lighting on the car is real natural light. It was just perfect golden hour conditions, with a storm rolling in but clear skies behind me on an old runway. I'm quite conflicted by this photo because I love the photograph, and up until driving it I loved the car. But it turned out to be a real case of 'never meet your heroes'.

unknown.png

Taken at Wilko Johnson's home, when we all thought that he was terminally ill in 2012. I believed at the time that it was the last time I was going to see him alive. It was the photograph, which saved his life. 10 years on, I was with him last night at Shepherd's Bush Empire.

1PsNX6.jpg

Last edited:
Taken at Wilko Johnson's home, when we all thought that he was terminally ill in 2012. I believed at the time that it was the last time I was going to see him alive. 10 years on, I was with him last night at Shepherd's Bush Empire.

1PsNX6.jpg
Ten years ago… jeepers.

Saw him twice, including at the GLC anti royalist festival at Crystal Palace bowl, with Ian Dury and the Blockheads, royal wedding day 1981. What a day that was!

I've never been to the Indian subcontinent, but that photograph perfectly encapsulates the atmosphere as I have always imagined it might be. Fabulous.

Thank you :)

Mrs G & I always had a hankering to visit India and just fell in love with the country, almost within hours of our arrival in Delhi. The colours, smells and sights (some of which were quite challenging) and sheer vibrancy of the place is hard not to love. Sure it's not for everyone (I'm the sort of person who considers 2 weeks lounging on a sun-kissed beach sheer hell) but I can highly recommend going. Oh...and the food. :)

Mrs G & I always had a hankering to visit India and just fell in love with the country, almost within hours of our arrival in Delhi. The colours, smells and sights (some of which were quite challenging) and sheer vibrancy of the place is hard not to love. Sure it's not for everyone (I'm the sort of person who considers 2 weeks lounging on a sun-kissed beach sheer hell) but I can highly recommend going. Oh...and the food. :)

indeed I was lucky enough to visit 50 to 60 times for work. Managed to get alot of free time there - fantastic and frustrating in equal measure

It is also my favourite destination, I visited 4 times between '96 and '04. But I think it has changed for the worse since I last visited.

advertisement

Back