advertisement

Musical fidelity - opinions ?

It was specifically the A1, A100, A200, MA50's and MA100's which were terribly unreliable for heat reasons.
The P140, P150, P170, P180, P270, A370, SA470 and power amp section of the B200 are all basically the same topology and IMHO a very good one which sounds great. I'm surprised they haven't become more sought after...

A friend of mine still uses a pair of P140 power amps which I completely "supercharged" to the extent of even fitting extra output mosfets and has had reliable service from them for over 10 years of daily use (presently driving kudos super 20's) and great sound.

My friend had a P170 mebbe P140 in the 80s, he scribbled out the component layout and I letraseted a couple of PCBs, used it for a number of years, nice amp.

I have a 3B pre and 270 power amp for the last 20 years.
No problems with either ans fantastic sound.
I thought there was a fault once,turned out to be the pre power interconnect.I also have a MX pre which sounds great but has a fault on one channel.
I also have some naims, 42, 140.
they are on lone to a friend .I don't miss them.

I've bought and owned MF gear for 20 years.

Then when I had a problem with a three thousand dollar amp their support was NON-EXISTENT.

I'm told this is because the head of the company is a dick. I know I'll never consider owning MF again. EVER.

Just shifted my A1 mk1 while it was still in working order - bought from Crack Converters for £120, used extensively for TV sound & as a supplementary room heater over last winter, sold on ebay for £130 before it cooked itself & became worthless (& because I wanted something cool running for the summer that didn't burn £££'s if left on for days at a time). As a free amplifier I couldn't fault it, it even proved to be reliable although I didn't enjoy playing Russian Roulette wondering when it would expire when I forgot to switch it off for whole weekends at a time. Not sensible using a class A design like this, where it's left powered on for long periods, at times not playing anything but still spinning the meter just the same. It's replacement with it's 15w idle consumption is far more sensible.

HI

Have som MF under the years, but now I only own a Musical Fidelity M1 ViNL. The RIIA Is a bargin at the price!
Regards
Lorden

advertisement

Back