advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
alex.

thanks! i'll remember to raise a glass to you a bit later as drink club, part 3 happens.

our mayor is letting us party until (and including) wednesday, in addition to granting everyone the afternoon off today.

Kevin De Bruyne (great name) is the best player in Britain this season so far (including Scott Brown if you are asking).

gassor.

i just got off the phone with my father and he is in full agreement with you, so we can put that one in the bank. he then went into a bit of a tirade about mourinho (and lukaku). (just to clarify: my father was at the 1958 belgrade game as a 17 year-old, so there's a proper bond to the team). i don't really understand how anyone can tolerate mourinho on basis of personality alone, but he has now certainly been exposed to be a football charlatan, in addition to football anti-christ. why doesn't manU just cut its losses?

he sent me this nice bit from the guardian (sorry if it has been posted previously):

Dick Rowe, the head of A&R at Decca Records in the 60s, was a kingmaker in the music industry. He signed the Rolling Stones in 1963, gave Van Morrison his break and launched the career of Tom Jones. But Rowe isn’t really known for any of these coups. He’s the idiot who rejected the Beatles. “We don’t like their sound,” it’s said that he told their manager, Brian Epstein. “And guitar music is on the way out.” Decca offered a contract to Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

There are similar oversights in all creative industries. Sport is no exception: what, for example, if there was someone who managed to let the three best players in today’s Premier League slip through their fingers? A person who did the equivalent of rebuffing the Beatles, the Stones and the Kinks. That guy would be a world‑class buffoon, no? His name would be a punchline. Well, there is such a man. He’s called José Mourinho.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/nov/12/jose-mourinho-de-bruyne-lukaku-salah-chelsea

Vuk, letting De Bruyne and Salah slip through his fingers shows a baffling lack of footballing insight, but it's not really surprising for the self appointed 'special one'. As Alan Shearer (hugely improved pundit) explained (I have embellished slightly) last night when comparing Guardiola and Mourinho, one is primarily a hands on manager who works to improve his players on an individual basis and the other is a tactics and systems man who sees players not so much as individuals but as cogs in a machine. That explains why he doesn't see potential or get the best out of players, and also why he loses the dressing room and therefor his job on a regular basis.

Reactions: vuk
p.s hook, where are you hiding?

Am here Vuk, but not enough time to read/follow as many threads as I would like. End of year is an extremely busy time at work, and I am leaving in just a few for a customer dinner.

But back on topic...congrats! Toronto FC was easily the best MLS team this year, and earned a well-deserved championship. Am glad you are enjoying it so much! Bradley and Altidore have become the scapegoats down here for the US missing the World Cup, so it was good to see them both have a great game. Bradley was a real stopper in midfield, and made countless fine passes. Altidore’s winner was simply superb!

All I can say is enjoy it while you can, because to even the most causal observer, it is obvious that the mighty Minnesota Loons are poised to make a worst to first surge next year! :)

On the Premier League, while KDB is having a fine season, my vote thus far goes to Salah. IMO, Liverpool’s so-called Fab 4 would be merely an adequate trio without him. City is easily the best team this year, but Liverpool is still the most fun to watch. Looking forward to the knockout round in the Champions League!

alex.

thanks! i'll remember to raise a glass to you a bit later as drink club, part 3 happens.

our mayor is letting us party until (and including) wednesday, in addition to granting everyone the afternoon off today.

Blimey that sounds good. We don't get time off in London. The capitalists have us workers chained to the money wheel and celebrations are timed to happen at the weekend.

Jack

But back on topic...congrats! Toronto FC was easily the best MLS team this year, and earned a well-deserved championship. Am glad you are enjoying it so much! Bradley and Altidore have become the scapegoats down here for the US missing the World Cup, so it was good to see them both have a great game. Bradley was a real stopper in midfield, and made countless fine passes. Altidore’s winner was simply superb!

hook.

what actually happened withe americans? i was barely following qualification and it came as a big shock -- it's really a shame, because the USA is one of the few countries that consistently plays an honnst type of football these days.

as for the italian shock, you'll recall i warned everyone how they failed to put their top striker on the team because of prejudice.

Blimey that sounds good. We don't get time off in London. The capitalists have us workers chained to the money wheel and celebrations are timed to happen at the weekend.

jaxk.

since you still haven't found a good place to emigrate to, you may want to consider toronto. the biggest problem will be that, if you still want to watch PL at an english pub, it's going to have to be with arsenal, liverpool or manU fans.

jaxk.

since you still haven't found a good place to emigrate to, you may want to consider toronto. the biggest problem will be that, if you still want to watch PL at an english pub, it's going to have to be with arsenal, liverpool or manU fans.

That wouldn't be a problem. We are used to educating the heathens.

Jack

jaxk.

You can also go for a freebie with a directional sat. dish, but you will have to learn Arabic if you want to hear the commentary.

Bloss

Here you go vuk.

My favourite anecdote concerns John Lambie, Partick Thistle manager. During a game a player took a hefty knock to the head and one of his staff came over to tell Lambie the player was barely conscious. "Boss he's in a bad way, doesn't even know who he is". Lambie replied "well tell him he's Pele and get him back on that effing pitch"

great stuff gassor. really loved how that lustig chap had the composure and grit to stay on his feet and keep his balance on route to the 5th goal, especially given his height.

Great result for Burnley tonight, now in a Euro place. I know Scott Arfield one of their mid-fielders, daughter was at his wedding. Interesting to compare the Utd and City bosses discuss what happened after Saturday's game. One comes over as a decent guy, the other a bit of a knob. Can you can guess which one will be the knob?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42325762

Chelsea beat Huddersfield 1 - 3, which makes us level with Utd in the League table. Just need them to lose tomorrow, although it is unlikely.

Jack

From another place but says everything for me.

Milkgate is now presented as the Machiavellian triumph of the master manipulator. In fact everything went wrong for the master muppet on Sunday. Firstly he tried to outsmart Pep by picking a very attacking lineup which would take City by surprise and seize the initiatiative. In fact, City made sure they never got the ball and never stood a chance of standing on anything other than their back foot. The ground had been prepared by a transparent attempt to pressurise the ref into giving a foul every time one of them went down and nothing every time a City player got clattered. The ref showed a stubborn streak from the very start: the MotD pictures saw Matic ridiculing the award of a free kick for a clear trip on Walker and picked up clearly the odious Herrera's constant and dreary questioning of every decision in City's favour. The ref followed his impartial road for the full 90 minutes and United stayed on their feeble path to a richly deserved pasting. Their luck was that the score was only 2-1.

What happened next was not Mourinho turning "deflection tactics". Mourinho was NOT in control of himself but appears to have been seriously out of control. He enjoys displaying a total lack of respect for opponents when he wins - notably Pellegrini and Wenger - but he has never been able to cope with defeat. Everyone is to blame, but blaming others is not a deflection tactic but an expression of his own personality defects. The club doctor on one occasion but nearly always the match officials and here he put the blame firmly on the ref who had ruined a good display by denying a clear penalty. And on the way to the press there was time to call in at our dressing room to show that he wasn't actually beaten and punish them for winning.

Mourinho's repeated inability to accept defeat as part of sport is alarming and has been a problem for over ten years. Until the FA tell him him that his behaviour is no part of English football and that if it is repeated he can pack his bags and ply his trade in another country it will not stop. He will never change but our nearest rivals need to do themselves, and English football a favour, and sack him. Indeed I think they will. It is well known Bobby Charlton wanted Mourinho nowhere near the club. Mourinho’s increasingly bringing the club into disrepute will start affecting the brand and the Glazers will get rid.

Mourinho will be sacked at some point in the next few years but not because of anything the EFA say or because the Glazers are worried about their brand image. He will get the bullet because of poor results caused by a breakdown of relations with his players. He is incapable (it seems to me) of showing any regard for his team members and will end up alienating a number of them to the extent the team performance falls apart.

Mourinho is in his second year now - he usually wins the title at whatever club he is at. He clearly isn't going to this season, unless City implode.

I, for one, will be glad when he is history. Yes, he's successful but the football but he is a very unpleasant man and his teams play is dull and reactive. I'm always pleased when his team gets a poor result (unless the result affects my own club, which until this season it didn't).

I'd much rather watch a Guardiola, Pochettino or Klopp team play.

I'd much rather watch a Guardiola, Pochettino or Klopp team play.
They all seem to be able to relate to their players and interact with them. Mourinho doesn't. In all the interviews I have seen he mostly if not totally speaks about himself and his reaction to some aspect of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back