1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MQA bad for Music?

Discussion in 'audio' started by kenniGT, Feb 13, 2017.

1. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

no one has to buy it. I don't know why you are so anti. So far it hasn't cost me anything and I suspect beyond my normal standard monthly streaming cost is unlikely to do so.

2. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

I have no issues with DRM in the context of subscription streaming services.

One potential trap of DRM with digital downloads is that it will likely tie you to a particular playback platform. Once upon a time, if you bought a track in the iTunes store, you could only play it back in iTunes or on one of your five registered Apple iDevices. I have a MacBook, iMac, iPhone, iPad and two Apple TVs (six devices). The other frustrating thing here is that I could never play my iTunes music in the car. iTunes downloads are now DRM-free of course.

3. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

Of course you pay for flac , what are you talking about ?

4. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

wikipedia lol. Do you believe everything you read?

5. Octavian

Octavian pfm Member

No, capitalism does not work this way. If there were greater demand for paid services, the prices would get higher.

6. TurnItUp

TurnItUp Active Member

I think he's refering to the codec its self being free to use. As in I could home record and self release my own debut album and then also release it digitally and use the flac codec without having to pay anyone a penny for using the codec.

That wouldnt be the case with MQA. To do the above and use MQA instead of the flac codec I would have to pay for it.

Thus the flac codec is free to use.

7. radamel

radamel pfm Member

You're assuming that supply stays constant which makes no sense.

Just think about digital advertising's cost per click or cloud computing's pricing dynamics.

8. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Can I summarize that as "We of course don't break the law, but I am sure people in other countries do"?

You are assuming that if you could somehow prevent illegal downloading, the people now doing it would start paying for it, instead of simply not downloading any more.

That is a pretty big assumption.

9. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Julf, taking into account your responses in a variety of threads in the last couple of months, I'd prefer if you simply avoided responding in any way to my posts.

10. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

There is a better solution - just ignore my comments. If you post on a public forum, you have to accept that people will point out issues in what you write.

11. rich46

rich46 pfm Member

the big hitters are qubuz and tidal , hd tracks seems to have lost support. but more dacs require to have MQA installed. MQA has been too slow to win support .

12. radamel

radamel pfm Member

Is MrSukebe supposed to ignore this comment where you ask him to ignore your comments?

You really should listen to yourself. :cool:

13. kenniGT

kenniGT pfm Member

Thank you. Very well explained :)

14. kenniGT

kenniGT pfm Member

We have feedback from many sources and they all indicate the same :)

15. busb

busb pfm Member

This is a important point. In my case, I'm listening on decent equipment that has been set up carefully & have a reasonable amount of so-called Hi Res from 24/96 to DSD that's mostly but not exclusively classical. I've also been to a number of classical concerts so am well aware that even well-recorded acoustic music is only an approximation to being at a concert. There are two obvious differences: the unforced attack (dynamics) & the cleanliness that brass instruments have - a sharpness without being bright: strident even.
    When people mention the quality of MP3 (or jpg photo files), it depends on the level of compression used (in the file format rather than amplitude compression).
    A well-recorded AAC file can sound a hell of a lot better than a poorly recorded DSD one.
    I feel the mastering is far more important than file format. How well I could distinguish between LPCM, DSD & lossy formats tested blind, I cannot say, my hearing just about reaches 15kHz so ain't as good as it was 50yrs ago!

16. busb

busb pfm Member

That rather depends on what is meant by DRM - IIRC the iTunes music I bought or rent have my Apple ID imbedded where the ones I've ripped from my CDs don't.

17. abbydog

abbydog pfm Member

Where do you get these ideas? There is mountains of music online you can download for free in all sorts of resolutions. Your characterisation of people as paying and therefore acting legally and the rest is plain offensive and plain wrong.

18. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

When I have paid for an album and then at some point I cannot access it anymore because either some authentication server has been shutdown, something has changed in Windows/Java/Flash or I have made a change to my playback device.

In either of these cases the DRM has effectively robbed me.
    (I do pay for my music because I won't steal it)

19. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

If you know all the answers why start the thread in the first place. bored of you now

20. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Just read about different forms of DRM, apparently there's a number. Can you please confirm which is planned to be used with MQA and how it will work. I'm curious about that.

Additionally, I rather got the impression that MQA was aimed at streaming services, meaning that you'd never actually "own" the music in question, only rent it. So is the DRM question actually relevant?