advertisement

MQA arrives on Tidal

Status
Not open for further replies.
My output device in the tidal ap is a ministreamer usb to spdif converter . spdif coax at 24/92 to my dirac box (can do 24/192)..it works

Interesting, considering MQA licensing seems to stipulate "no digital output of decoded audio" - either DIRAC doesn't qualify as "digital out", or they have overlooked something in their licensing terms.

:cool:

Can't understand your surprise.

IIRC since June Bluesound streamers were able to send decoded MQA via digital out up to 24/96.
Again not the full MQA but part of it.

i think they changed that no software / digital output etc thing when they realised it cuts out a lot of potential users
it is not however the full monty that you get with a MQA dac..I cant put a dac in my system..Devialets..without an additional ADDA

in the ap , there is a radio box for MQA undecoded or decoded , you can flip between them in real time and hear the effects of the software decode which are profound!!!

in the ap , there is a radio box for MQA undecoded or decoded , you can flip between them in real time and hear the effects of the software decode which are profound!!!

The problem is that we don't know what you are comparing. The original against the MQA-decoded version? Or the MQA-encoded version with or without proper decoding? Or something else?

i think they changed that no software / digital output etc thing when they realised it cuts out a lot of potential users
it is not however the full monty that you get with a MQA dac..I cant put a dac in my system..Devialets..without an additional ADDA

Right.

Unless Devialet gets onboard...

Unfortunately Harry tidal FAQs say windows 7 or later a web search says there may be some work arounds it I guess it's taking a risk
NLB

The problem is that we don't know what you are comparing. The original against the MQA-decoded version? Or the MQA-encoded version with or without proper decoding?

Given the speed with which it flips between then I'd guess the latter.

But the question "what part?" remains.

There is clearly a max resolution limit...24/96 via digital out vs DXD with an MQA enabled DAC.

And probably there are other differences in software MQA decoding vs hardware decoding because the former doesn't take into account the characteristics of the DAC.

And this is why I've been insisting on your telling me what setup you're using to compare MQA vs redbook.

(It's hard to grow up quickly, apologies to The Dude).

Julf , all Im doing is turning the software decoder on and off .. you asked if I was sure it was decoding
It either passes the unmolested mqa file at 24/48 or it decodes it to 24/96 and does its magic.
BIG difference ..mostly all to the good
At any rate , its a great freebie for me and many others..,the normal 16/44 files are still there for those that eschew MQA .

Yeh, i wish devialet would come on board , roon ready and MQA ready
Im still waiting for them to send me a ticket to send my d prems away for their UG

Unfortunately Harry tidal FAQs say windows 7 or later a web search says there may be some work arounds it I guess it's taking a risk
NLB

Cheers NLB. I'm currently downloading a trial of Windows 8. Another hour it should be done.

This is not a fcuk about at all.

10 seconds to stick a CD in and hit play.

Cheers NLB. I'm currently downloading a trial of Windows 8. Another hour it should be done.

This is not a fcuk about at all.

10 seconds to stick a CD in and hit play.

Well in fairness you are one of the 4 people left on earth that has anything to do with vista. Obviously you are not interested in tech, so stick with cd?

Listening to Blue by Joni Mitchell, an album I've played a heck of a lot over the years. I don't think I've ever heard it sound this good. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it sounds so 'right', with beautiful vocal quality.

Have you got the DCC album or CD? Even the original Reprise CD was pretty good IIRC.

Well in fairness you are one of the 4 people left on earth that has anything to do with vista. Obviously you are not interested in tech, so stick with cd?

I detest anything to do with PCs, Windows or any of the associated useless tat.

I was using the first Macs ever. Really, the shoebox ones. I've had dozens of Macs but now I'm retired I don't need a computer. iPad does me. Or doesn't in this case

I'm very interested in tech. I have hi tech racing bikes, a high tech car, very hi tech woodworking tools and very advanced cameras. Call me old fashioned but the reason I like all that stuff is that it works. First time. Every time.

I've just wasted an hour getting a trial of Windows 8 which I assume is as sh'ite' as every other Windows because Tidal won't Ferkin work on that either.

Hope that answers your question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back