1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving from Naim

Discussion in 'audio' started by Octave Doctor, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Searching for the Spark

A quick update.

I've had a couple of dems and will have two more I think. I heard the Devialet 220 Expert Pro and the Vitus RI-100, the Devialet is fantastic value for money but I found it too cold and sterile sounding, the Vitus was less detailed but more musical I thought.

Anyway it's hard work trying to change a Hi-fi system (if I change that is) and there's so much to choose from...bit of a minefield actually.

Regards

2. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Try and hear the components in your own system and if possible at the same time, obvious advice I realise.
    Keith

3. lapman

lapman Active Member

I am going back to Naim, having moved to a Devialet set up. Good but nobody in the house could get it to work.

Also have couple of UnitiQute's and a Unitiserve which are just what I need.

4. Stemcor

Stemcor I should be listening to music

Apologies for the late reply. I don't know the answer but an email to Teddy will probably get you a quick reply. My first Teddy products were power supplies bought second hand so I was aware of their capabilities in a Naim system. Consequently, I had a good idea of what to expect with the "full Teddy" and was not disappointed.

5. bossjw

bossjw pfm Member

anyone familiar with Naim and Trigon?

6. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

7. bossjw

bossjw pfm Member

tell me more please,,how do they compare?

8. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

You can not compare them, the one is a little dark, meaty with good PRaT the other more bright (sometimes to much),very controlled, airy, but also very neutral but less involving compared to Naim. I wouldn't buy a Trigon AMP anymore but also no Naim, I prefer Exposure from the Farlowe era.

9. MVV

MVV pfm Member

I was Naim through and through for 20 years owning just about every olive pre-power up to 52/250. Then returned to CB and a 32.5, Hicap and modded 110 monos which I found were the best of the lot. Then on a whim I bought a NAD M3 integrated and it all ended; the power and transparency of this thing just made me feel a little foolish.

The Stereophile review measured it up with the very best regardless of cost, not that I knew that when I bought it. It just sounded right and I forgot about it.

10. bossjw

bossjw pfm Member

Thanks for that..was considering either Trigon or Densen and it appears Trigon may not be for ! Any experience of Densen amps?

11. Mikeandvan

Mikeandvan Banned

Aren't you vinyl only?

12. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Yes

13. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

@bossjw: Densen wouldn't sound sound much different to Trigon. Trigon a bit more powerfull and Densen more refined.

14. mbu

mbu pfm Member

Densen B330+ is a superb power amplifier. Very potent and transparent. No experience with the rest of their stuff.

15. Octave Doctor

I have managed to listen to a couple of components at home...I won't be going for the Devialet...fantastic value for money but it's not for me.

16. Octave Doctor

The Devialet can be a somewhat fiddly,, I was using the phono input (which is very good BTW) plus the USB input and line 1... switching between them was OK...once I got used to it that is.

17. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

Sorry if I may didn't see your speakers but if they don't need much power or you don't listen that loud I can give you the advice to hear a Audiomat Solfege Reference 20 oder Opera Reference for me these amps are sounding to good to belive, but they are not cheap.

I owned a Audiomat Solfege Reference 20 but sold it because I needed money. Fantastic amplifier.

18. bossjw

bossjw pfm Member

Densen seem to divide opinions but then so do Naim.
    Just about to commit to moving from Naim xs with Flatcap to Densen b-130XS.

Any opinions appreciated.

19. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

What speakers and source components do you have?

20. nbaptista

nbaptista pfm Member

Both amplifiers does PRAT. However Densen is very diferente from Naim, you have to listen Densen and decide for yourself.I diid the path to move from Naim for Densen, and I am very happy, no regrets at all. I listened the Densen B 110, I liked it and then sold the Naim and bought the Densen. But Naim is a good brand, if you like the Naim sound, keep the Nait.Densen are not better than Naim, just different.