1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving from Naim

Discussion in 'audio' started by Octave Doctor, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

In my opinion the trend for "moving on from Naim" is based on the fortunes of the company in the years since Julian Vereker died. He was really a unique guy. One of the old school hifi company designer/owners who lived their hobby, no doubt, but perhaps the only one who really latched onto the burgeoning internet age as he did.

Naim looked good, sounded good and it was easy to follow its upgrade paths. It was priced at a level you really had to save up for (building desirability and anticipation) and then after all that there was the designer of the gear who was accessible night and day on the internet to discuss your system, musical interests and the future direction of the companies products. He provided a fascinating insight. He 'gave' as much as he took from his customers, always keen to explain the thought processes behind new products and welcomed you into feeling part of the company yourself, even as a lowly customer. A great bit of marketing and I suspect it was all a bit unintentional. If you were outside that part of the culture you perhaps didn't understand why people were so brand loyal when the products themselves, whilst up there with the best, could arguably be bettered in hifi terms.

There was cheaper gear, better gear, more functional gear out there but the whole set up drew the customers in to something more. Since Julian's death that key part has been sucked out of the company slowly, year by year. It is only now that aspect of the Naim brand has completely gone that people are realising that, yes, there are other hifis out there that competed/out-competed Naim at the time and also that their second hand values are far more within reach all these years on. People are increasingly open to giving them a try.

I guess my conclusion is that Naim isn't suddenly bad hifi. Just that the brand loyalty has been eroded as the support and culture that once surrounded the brand has diminished. People no longer associate ownership with being part of a wider movement or members club and instead are (probably quite rightly) putting more emphasis on performance and value for money.

I still won't be selling mine for now as I love what I have, but I don't think I'd hesitate to move on from Naim myself anymore if the upgrade bug ever hits.

2. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Searching for the Spark

Hi again,

A big thanks for everyone's input and advice...I've lined up a couple of dems so I will post an update within a week or so once I've listened to a few systems.

Regards

3. Octave Doctor

I'm going to listen to the 220 Pro Expert and if I like it I can then (in the future) upgrade to the 440.

4. Octave Doctor

I agree....I think value for money is utmost in most buyers minds these days. TBH I'm getting frustrated with Naim...the cost of upgrading (to DR) is too much I believe and I can't justify the cost of another DR upgrade (I had my 555PS upgraded to DR last year). I would also like to replace my NAC5 speaker cable (I've heard the Super Lumina speaker cable) but that's more expense so I figured let's just change the system.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

About the only Naim thing I have left, apart from my 01, is the NAC A5; and it's staying ! Very versatile cable to happily go from moving coil to electrostatic speakers and from s/s to valved power.

6. heihei

heihei pfm Member

Keep us posted - keen to hear what you are demoing

7. coupe-sport

coupe-sport pfm Member

I made the jump a few years back. First to a Berning amp and then finally to Devialet. I still have a great affection for the Naim kit but don't miss the hassles that go with it and ultimately I enjoy my system more.

I'll be interested in your demo findings.

James

8. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

So you haven't discovered Van Damme yet then :rolleyes::D

9. bob atherton

bob atherton pfm Member

Was Naim to the core for about 25 years.

Switched, in stages, to Teddy Pardo.

Never looked back.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

i jumped from a 62/140 nearly a decade ago to an exposure 2010s and recently went back, finding myself a second hand 62/140 kit - really mostly just for the lovely CB industrial design which i love... i miss the naim sound though its FAR less transparent than the 2010s. thinking maybe if i futz with the circuit a bit (in the usual ways) i can have my cake and eat it too - at least a bit.

11. Chris68

Chris68 Active Member

The Teddy Pardo I80A has easily beaten my Supernait 2. I keep the SN2 though because it looks nice on my spare rack and a little decadent too ;-))

Sold all my other Naim stuff including DAC, HDX, XPS, HCDR, HiLine etc. as a custom MacMini into a Teddy Pardo DAC sounds a lot better...

Chris

12. leni

leni New Member

and still naim is the most respected british hifi firm by far.fact they grew considrrably during the years while other had disapeard and for a reason. we will see who is going service devialet o or tp or most(not all)other firms in 40 years from now like naim does

13. PerF

PerF Private

Should I ever ditch my Naim amplifiers I'd go Rega all-in, TT, amp, speakers, cables great sound, support and value.

14. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

Wonderful post, probably sums up how a lot of us feel, even though I came into Naim in 2004, my dealer at the time had worked in Naim with Julian and there certainly was the club feel to their forum at that point.

I've recently sold my Naim source and am totally enjoying thring various products to run Roon into a Hugo TT.

To the OP, Naim amplification is still their strong point (IMHO), perhaps instead of ditching everything, change your source to a streaming one (preferably with Roon) and it may well give a lease of life to your amplification.

Having said that I would be quite prepared to move from Naim but I hope I'd be careful not to throw out the baby with the proverbial.

Do let us know how things progress.

.sjb

15. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

If you do try and then want to return the Teddy stuff, do you have to ship it back to Israel at your own expense?

16. Chris68

Chris68 Active Member

Really, who cares? I don't. I will keep this or that Amp for as long as I like, then sell it or use it in a secondary system somewhere.

I have a lot of respect for Naim and would always recommend the brand or the products would somebody want to take a safe root. But I like to take risk cause right there is opportunity...the risk with the I80A was to have to ship it back at my expense. That is nothing for testing an Amp for which the OEM claims it would clearly outperform my SN2 and it did. I like testing "big mouth" and find it extremely entertaining when they deliver!

17. Chris68

Chris68 Active Member

Yes, and that is fair. Done that and had no problem, service is awesome.

18. echann

echann pfm Member

After 30 plus years of Naim (going from Nait 1 to 52/135) I'm now all Teddy Pardo (PR1/Active ST60) for amplification. My ears and wallet are happy. Still have Naim SL2s and Fraim.

19. bob atherton

bob atherton pfm Member

Pretty much my journey as well. I had active IBL's at one point which were a bit special though....

Now, if Teddy made a CD transport that would be the icing on the cake for me..;)

20. Disbeliever

Disbeliever pfm Member

From its limited specification I would not expect the 180A to outperform the SN2, too much hassle to find out.