advertisement

Moving from Naim

Octave Doctor

Searching for the Spark
Hi all,

I'm probably selling my Naim gear soon, I have 252/Supercap(DR), 300, CDS3, 555PS (DR) and I want to try something new (I've had Naim for about 25 years now and I feel that it's time for a change). I've heard the Devialet 220 Pro Expert recently (although only briefly) and also a Vitus integrated amp (the RI-100) and both units were really good although I thought the Devialet was slightly cold sounding...it was engaging but lacked a bit of soul. The Vitus was really good but I would need to add a DAC to it (eventually) so that makes it quite pricey. In addition different speakers cables and interconnects will be required so that adds to the cost...having said that I will obviously sell my Naim I/C's, speaker cables etc.

Has anyone experienced either of the amps mentioned and if so any thoughts on them? It would be interesting to hear from ex Naim users who have taken the plunge and jumped ship.

Many thanks

PS At a later stage I will be looking to buy a streamer/server (or just a server)...has anyone heard the Innous Zenith MK.11?

Although not relevant to your choices of future kit, I have just completed a change from Naim after 30 years or so. I went all valve (E.A.R.), and although my power amp's went from 135s to E.A.R. mono's some years ago, my 552, Superline, Supercap etc and associated cables all went in December, leaving me with only my trusty 01.

Find some really good speakers that you really like and then get amps and a front end to suit, otherwise you're just swapping out amps with different names on the boxes and following a system building dogma dreamed up decades ago to sell turntables and amps made by...

I went from LP12, 555, 552, 500, 01 etc etc and now have Brinkmann/Counterpoint/KDS/Audio Research/Sonus faber and the odd tuner.

Some things I won't have in the house:
1, Anything with Naim on it except a mug
2, Anything with spikes
3, Anything sold as a hi-fi rack or h-fi 'furniture'
4, Any foo wire. Worth making your own
5, Any UK hi-fi magazine or 'review'

Try to get to some shows and hear stuff - and remember, if it sounds crap and they can't make a good sound at their own showcase, it is crap.

Lastly, it is hardly worth buying new in this market - there's mountains of great used kit out there you can swap and change for very little cost. Only digital stuff merits being up-to-date and some would contest even that.

Find some really good speakers that you really like and then get amps and a front end to suit, otherwise you're just swapping out amps with different names on the boxes and following a system building dogma dreamed up decades ago to sell turntables and amps made by...

I went from LP12, 555, 552, 500, 01 etc etc and now have Linn KDS/Counterpoint/Brinkmann/Audio Research/Sonus faber and the odd tuner.

Some things I won't have in the house:
1, Anything with Naim on it except a mug
2, Anything with spikes
3, Anything sold as a hi-fi rack or h-fi 'furniture'
4, Any foo wire. Worth making your own.

Try to get to some shows and hear stuff - and remember, if it sounds crap and they can't make a good sound at their own showcase, it is crap.

Lastly, it is hardly worth buying new in this market - there's mountains of great used kit out there you can swap and change for very little cost. Only digital stuff merits being up-to-date and some would contest even that.

+ about a million on THAT one.. with the added, try speakers in your OWN room before buying.. I have first-hand experience and a much reduced bank balance to back this up.. including Tannoy Dimension 8, Klipsch Heresey and KG3, Magneplaner MG3.3R, some Kefs I can't even remember and now using Tannoy DC 10T which sound so so average...IN MY ROOM. Over the week-end I took an old pair of Celestion C3 to my brother, hooked them up to his Denon Receiver and was totally blown away... I had them in my house a few years ago, stacked them away to upgrade.. the rest is history.

In a similar position myself. Have an active Naim system built around the Ovator S600 speakers, with 552 -> 300 amps. Whilst it can be magical, there are other times it isn't, and frankly for the money, it should.
I recognise the issue is most likely with the speakers, but there are very few active alternatives (and most would involve buying another power amp), so switching to passive has left me thinking it could be time for a bigger change.
As a step along that road, I heard a Vitus amp over the weekend into a pair of Audiovectors, and was very impressed so intend to follow up with home demos.

With respect to the "buy second-hand" comment would fully agree, although the challenge, esp with speakers, is the subsequent comment "important to home demo", as the two are largely mutually exclusive!

Try all Quad valve amp/Esl system.I will easily forget 25 years of naim and linn systems with that.New quads even have very good bass so it is easy to listen all kind of music.And no countless upgrades in your way,as with naim.

I changed from a mid-range Naim /Naim-Avondale system to a Graaf integrated amp & haven't regretted it for a second, even though I still think Naim stuff can be very good.
I heard the Vitus stuff & thought it was absolutely excellent. If I had the £££, Vitus would be top of my wish list & the only thing I've heard so far that I consider better than what I already have.

Try all Quad valve amp/Esl system.I will easily forget 25 years of naim and linn systems with that.New quads even have very good bass so it is easy to listen all kind of music.And no countless upgrades in your way,as with naim.

Well, yes. Having gone from flagship ProAc Response to Quad 2905s, I'll not be reverting to moving coil any time soon. Mine are powered by E.A.R., though, not Quad mono's. Agree about the bass, too, which is seamless. Maybe doesn't go down to big floor-stander levels, but who cares when the rest is so addictive?

Hi all,

I'm probably selling my Naim gear soon, I have 252/Supercap(DR), 300, CDS3, 555PS (DR) and I want to try something new (I've had Naim for about 25 years now and I feel that it's time for a change). I've heard the Devialet 220 Pro Expert recently (although only briefly) and also a Vitus integrated amp (the RI-100) and both units were really good although I thought the Devialet was slightly cold sounding...it was engaging but lacked a bit of soul. The Vitus was really good but I would need to add a DAC to it (eventually) so that makes it quite pricey. In addition different speakers cables and interconnects will be required so that adds to the cost...having said that I will obviously sell my Naim I/C's, speaker cables etc.

Has anyone experienced either of the amps mentioned and if so any thoughts on them? It would be interesting to hear from ex Naim users who have taken the plunge and jumped ship.

Many thanks

PS At a later stage I will be looking to buy a streamer/server (or just a server)...has anyone heard the Innous Zenith MK.11?
I have never been a Naim fan but for a integrated amplifier, it will be very difficult to beat the Supernait 2. I also do not care for Devialet or any Class D or G amplifiers. IMO good class AB is still the best.

How about buying some Schiit?

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC
Schiit Freya Pre
Bryston Power: 2x 2.5B3 or 1x 4B3 or wait for Schiit Vidar
All the above connected via balanced XLR

I also went from Naim to EAR - thought for other reasons I'm planning to go back to solid state. My EAR890 is in the classifieds and still for sale (plug!!). With EAR you get a Naim like grip, with the realism of valves, but you don't get the warm and wooly valve sound some people love.

I also went from Naim to EAR - thought for other reasons I'm planning to go back to solid state. My EAR890 is in the classifieds and still for sale (plug!!). With EAR you get a Naim like grip, with the realism of valves, but you don't get the warm and wooly valve sound some people love.

So I've still got the warm and woolly sound to experience, then. Just when you think it's all over..........:)

advertisement

Back