advertisement

Moving away from Sky TV - questions

I don't have enough 'spare' time to justify Sky, so Freeview has plenty on, and the Humax (PVR9300, 360Gb) takes care of stuff to fill the gaps in schedules. I don't rate Netfix much for films. I signed up about 6 months ago, and there does not seem to be that much in the field of 'new' movies, although it looks good if you are into marathon sessions of US 'boxed set' serials. My main useage is the hundreds of episodes of Horrid Henry for the little one.

Anyone looking to buy a Humax might well do to wait a while, as there is a new 'version' of Freeview coming out soon to compete with Youview, which will have similar functionality (scroll back to play), and catch up for 'all' major channels (I think C5 have yet to confirm). It will be called 'Freeview Play':
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/132739-what-is-freeview-play-when-is-it-coming-and-how-can-i-get-it

What amazes me about Sky is this.

It's hundreds of pounds a year yet there's still adverts.

Pathetic.

Amazon Lovefilm + Freeview & Freesat + possibly Netflix for streaming if you want that too. If you don't have particular requirements for sport or kids tv, that's the way to go.

Netflix, HBO and BBC iPlayer, there is enough on those three to fill my viewing time.

Pathetic.

Amazon Lovefilm + Freeview & Freesat + possibly Netflix for streaming if you want that too. If you don't have particular requirements for sport or kids tv, that's the way to go.

Me too, don't get it, but i suppose if people keep paying....................

Pathetic.

This is the rub. I would turn you question on it's head, if sport is your thing - there is no real alternative across the sporting calendar. Bits from BBC and BT but nothing like the golf majors, serious football coverage etc. If all you want is basic TV and some films you would be nuts to use Sky just be happy that it doesn't cost you what it does to watch sport.

advertisement

Back