advertisement

Mordaunt Arundels - any info?

Inamelotone

Hi folks

Just acquired a pair of these intriguing speakers - that Decca tweeter is quite a revelation needless to say, esp. after years of listening to horns (lively though a little aggressive given the wrong material)... Mine appear to have had their bass drivers replaced at some stage and this is all too clear to hear, i.e. not a good match. As they are largely original apart from that, what I'd like to do is try to source a pair of the original 12" drivers fitted. Does anyone out there know what they were? I have done a google but not a lot of luck so far.

Thanks in advance for your help! ;)

Inamelotone

Google doesn't return much except a review from Gramophone. They sure look interesting, though; is it just a bass driver plus the Decca ribbon?

Hi, yes just a bass driver and the ribbon tweeter... I think there were a couple of different versions, one with a 10" and another with a 12" driver. I hadn't heard Decca ribbons before but their reputation is justly deserved!

Hi,
I have pair of the original 12" drivers , from a pair Arundel I owned. I think they are
wharfedale or goodmans units, red magnet 'Alnico'. will need new foam surrounds , if
interested pm me with offer.

Hi all

Well it's has been a long arduous journey, but I am so pleased with the sound the restored Arundels are producing that I thought I would update you all.

Thanks to forum member Jack I was fortunate to get my hands on a pair of the correct bass drivers. I had those fully rebuilt by Dave Smith at DK Engineering who did a great job (what Dave doesn't know about speakers surely isn't worth knowing!) and, to cut a long story short, the Arundels are now in operation and getting better by the day as the new surrounds break in. There is a rightness to the sound (coupled with QUAD II amps) that is quite uncanny, given a good recording they somehow manage to disappear and the image hangs beautifully - all musicians appear in proportion and the Decca tweeters are so clear and open. Simply wonderful.

To put things into perspective, I had been messing with multiamped horns of late (well for the last 10 years!) and given time I managed to achieve what I felt was a big life-size soundstage, with tremendous dynamics and speed (that's compression drivers for you) but this being DIY there was always the temptation to tweak... I bought the Arundels on a whim (late night 'back from the pub' bid on you know which website!) but as it turns out these are opening my ears to a whole new way of listening.

I am so taken by them now that I have tracked down a copy of the original Gramophone review, and am now looking for the HFN review, Rolf (or anyone else) do you know which month/year the review was published?

All best ;)

advertisement

Back