advertisement

Mogami vs Atlas cables

They really can make an impression. huh! i.e, musicworks mains blocks, They'll destroy your kit,,, My opinion, sound quite awful :)

They really can make an impression. huh! i.e, musicworks mains blocks, They'll destroy your kit,,, My opinion, sound quite awful :)

MusicWorks blocks need to be used in conjunction with decent supports under your equipment. Like a lot of tweaky stuff, you need all of it to benefit from any of it. Used without good mechanical isolation or grounding from decent supports the MusicWorks blocks, particularly the ReFlex range, can make your system sound overblown with a "bloom" in the bass. The effect of the block is to improve dynamics. This needs to be "tamed" with good supports.

Get your rack right first, then sort the mains block.

My views are entirely subjective and are the result of experimentation with supports and mains blocks from MusicWorks since 2001 in both my own system as it has evolved and various dealer systems, first at Acoustica (now Music Matters) in Stafford and at the AudioWorks shop in Cheadle.

MusicWorks blocks need to be used in conjunction with decent supports under your equipment. Like a lot of tweaky stuff, you need all of it to benefit from any of it. Used without good mechanical isolation or grounding from decent supports the MusicWorks blocks, particularly the ReFlex range, can make your system sound overblown with a "bloom" in the bass. The effect of the block is to improve dynamics. This needs to be "tamed" with good supports.

My views are entirely subjective and are the result of experimentation with supports and mains blocks from MusicWorks since 2001 in both my own system as it has evolved and various dealer systems, first at Acoustica (now Music Matters) in Stafford and at the AudioWorks shop in Cheadle.

Cat Piss deflectors .
Keith.

I have both generations of Mustic Works blocks, plus a home made one using 6xCrabtree sockets screwed to a piece of wood. They are all wired in the same way, with a star earth. They all do exactly the same job in my system.
All three can be opened for examination.

The idea that these things do anything unusual with mains is laughable. The idea that they somehow work in conjuction with supports is a little - how shall we say - bonkers.

The claim that you 'need all of it to benefit from any of it' sounds like a bad sales pitch. Roy Gregory tried this when flogging Nordost, didn't he?

Please get a grip - its six sockets wired together for **** sake. Use shielded cable if you must...

I know the guys at Acoustica. Geoff and Pete. Pete Fielding is a good friend of mine, very helpful chap :)

This was Acoustica's second shop in Stafford that was run by John McEvoy before he left to run a shop at the Custard Factory in Brum that, in turn, is now Audio Affair. John seems to have since disappeared from the industry, unfortunately.

I've met Geoff a few times too.

I have both generations of Mustic Works blocks, plus a home made one using 6xCrabtree sockets screwed to a piece of wood. They are all wired in the same way, with a star earth. They all do exactly the same job in my system.
All three can be opened for examination.

The idea that these things do anything unusual with mains is laughable. The idea that they somehow work in conjuction with supports is a little - how shall we say - bonkers.

The claim that you 'need all of it to benefit from any of it' sounds like a bad sales pitch. Roy Gregory tried this when flogging Nordost, didn't he?

Please get a grip - its six sockets wired together for **** sake. Use shielded cable if you must...

What I said was based on experience. There is no need for the keyboard warrior rudeness.

People who say mains blocks don't make any difference should try it. I bought one and found that it added a layer of mush to my brain.
...and don't tell me I'm imagining things, It's my brain and I can tell you since I've been reading this forum it has almost entirely turned to mush, only now with a layer of mush on top!

Run it past Serge first

hohohoho

Amazing is not a word I was use to describe what I heard and I, like you, have been somewhat sceptical about the merits of expensive blocks and cables. But I heard a very positive improvement in the sound of the system when it was dem'd to me. Like a layer of mush had been removed without losing anything good. Anyone owning a Pear Audio based system who lives anywhere near Audio Council go have a listen and let your ears decide.

Could it be possible it only has relevance with SS amplification?

I remember all the Powerigel, powerline etc creating a more full bodied sound, but it also created a toneless, textureless, thick , ponderous presentation IME.

Atlas Hyper 2 do look very well put together, Only heard them briefly approx. 2 tracks played, sounded natural, but just can't remember for the life in me what kit setup???

This is great advice: You can't truly feel the benefit of anything, until you've done everything.

mmm ?

Wasnt entirely happy with quad mogami between Densen 330 and WB Arcs at weekend.More playing about to do. The old biwire runs of DNM reson are going to get hauled out soon.
Im finding the B330 to be quite fussy about cables and partnering stuff etc.

Hifi Choice latest issue just did a big supertest of various speaker cable/ic combos. Im sure Atlas is in it ? Not Mogami though.

mmm ?

Wasnt entirely happy with quad mogami between Densen 330 and WB Arcs at weekend.More playing about to do. The old biwire runs of DNM reson are going to get hauled out soon.
Im finding the B330 to be quite fussy about cables and partnering stuff etc.

Hifi Choice latest issue just did a big supertest of various speaker cable/ic combos. Im sure Atlas is in it ? Not Mogami though.

mbu,

What termination type/manufacture is on the Mogami speaker cable?

Basic termination 4mm plugs. 4 at each cable end. Bare metal finish.

Bit of a guddle to get on densen 330. Got to unscrew speaker terminal covers on amp right out. Then one 4mm goes down through middle of terminal , other plugged in normally. Probably not completely ideal but Im not going to reterminate amp end connections on mogami cable.

Avonessence,

I'd be grateful if you would advise the optimal termination method for Mogami quad core into bi-wireable [Harbeth SLH 5] speakers.

Thanks Craig

advertisement

Back