advertisement

MM cartridges around £100

Ich werde Sie wissen lassen, dass der TP-13a Kugelarm eine technische Tour de Force.

Well, it did have the coolest looking headshell ever to grace a tonearm, as partial compensation for any finicky bits back the other end.

TP_50_1.JPG

Engage quantum drive!

Sorry for 'jacking your thread James.

No problem Craig, all discussion welcome. I see a 2M blue nestled in that headshell there.

So the consensus is it may be worth trying a cart from Shure, AT, Goldring, Nagaoka, although that may actually make things no better, and it may also be worth trying a different deck, the choice being broad. :) And all to better something that cost £15.

Sounds like a post xmas bake off with turkey curry may be in order.

Well Steve we must disagree. Even in it's day the arm bearings were frequently criticised in the press, the head to arm joint collar was poorly engineered and could be loose, the arm 'rung' like a bell. I was going to send mine to a well known company who work magic and was told not to bother, so I fitted a 3009 unimproved. Now that DID make a difference.
The Deck is fine. Better than the 160 when properly finished IMO and would merit a decent arm...maybe a Jelco would suit well. That combo might well be roughly equal to a grands worth of new deck, I've no idea...it would cost 8-900 quid anyway. The best bet would be to find a good, well plinthed one with a decent older SME on it, but that'd be well over 300 surely? The OP didn't ask that question at all. He fancies a new cartridge for 100 quid.

No problem Craig, all discussion welcome. I see a 2M blue nestled in that headshell there.

So the consensus is it may be worth trying a cart from Shure, AT, Goldring, Nagaoka, although that may actually make things no better, and it may also be worth trying a different deck, the choice being broad. :) And all to better something that cost £15.

Sounds like a post xmas bake off with turkey curry may be in order.

Very fine idea. Can I come and bring cake? :)

Well Steve we must disagree. Even in it's day the arm bearings were frequently criticised in the press, the head to arm joint collar was poorly engineered and could be loose, the arm 'rung' like a bell. I was going to send mine to a well known company who work magic and was told not to bother, so I fitted a 3009 unimproved. Now that DID make a difference.
The Deck is fine. Better than the 160 when properly finished IMO and would merit a decent arm...maybe a Jelco would suit well. That combo might well be roughly equal to a grands worth of new deck, I've no idea...it would cost 8-900 quid anyway. The best bet would be to find a good, well plinthed one with a decent older SME on it, but that'd be well over 300 surely? The OP didn't ask that question at all. He fancies a new cartridge for 100 quid.
I just think buying a £100 cartridge would be a waste of £100. I don’t think the 2M blue is the weak link. I’d just wait a while and change the deck when funds permit... it needn’t be a fortune and I’d expect the Debut would still fetch a decent amount of money on eBay... there is a price floor for used turntables which is an advantage when you want to sell one.

I agree Linnfo, if the budget were there, then I too would start over, flog the Project, move up a decent step and start again.

December has been particularly brutal to the wallet this year so I was looking for a cheap treat, perhaps frugality and saving for a proper upgrade is the way forward. (Sensible hat on)

Mmm t-u-r-k-e-y.

If I lived closer, I'd invite myself over and bring a bunch of cartridges in a chocolate box.
If nothing else, you'd quickly know which side of the turntable/cartridge equation is the most (ful)filling.

Oh, and mounting hardware...

3 sets of bolts,
2 stainless nuts,
and a box-o'-cartridges in a pear tree.

A 3009 is a considerable step up in cost, esp the preimp. Funny you should say that a 150 might be a better item than a 160, I've said as much and had people saying "you can't be serious Steve". I had a 150 with a Mayware Mk4 in a home made plinth, it was better than it had any right to be. In the 90s when vinyl was dead I picked it up for £30 at one of the Chesterfield shows and sold it on for a few tenners more a year or so later. I'd have it back like a shot.

A 3009 is a considerable step up in cost, esp the preimp. Funny you should say that a 150 might be a better item than a 160, I've said as much and had people saying "you can't be serious Steve". I had a 150 with a Mayware Mk4 in a home made plinth, it was better than it had any right to be. In the 90s when vinyl was dead I picked it up for £30 at one of the Chesterfield shows and sold it on for a few tenners more a year or so later. I'd have it back like a shot.

It was the 80’s Steve. I got it used for around £35 quid IIRC

Juno are doing the Shure for £87 delivered, which seems good. They have the 2M blue for 143 delivered, which is the cheapest I've seen it.

advertisement

Back