advertisement

Miles Davis On The Corner -> Gong?

mr.datsun

pfm Member
I like this album. Am I the only person who feels the influence of Alice Coltrane and Miles Davis on Trilogy era Gong?

There was a lot of jazz in Gong for sure. I’m not sure I’d have picked On The Corner as a prime example as it is more a raw primal funk thing, I’d probably have gone more for In A Silent Way. There is a lot of Miles in Krautrock too, and I suspect maybe vice-versa.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Davis was a man of few words. When he did speak, his words often had a similar effect to a hand grenade being lobbed into the room. In 1987, he was invited to a White House dinner by Ronald Reagan. Few of the guests appeared to know who he was. During dinner, Nancy Reagan turned to him and asked what he’d done with his life to merit an invitation. Straight-faced, Davis replied: “Well, I’ve changed the course of music five or six times. What have you done except f**k the president?”

I’ve always thought the Radio Gnome era Gong had something in common with Sun Ra’s Space Mythology and early 70s Cosmo Drama band that toured Europe. I’d go as far as calling it a template. Similarities? Space chants, mythology, extended improvisations over core themes, costume, instrumentation (to some extent, such as sax, flute, added percussion, Moog), and eccentric leadership. In France both bands appeared on the same label, BYG/Actuel, and appeared at the same festivals. One thing is certain though, the influence would have been one way. I can’t imagine Sun Ra being influenced at all by rock.

If I hear Miles in Gong it would be something like Calypso Frelimo from Get Up With It - almost space rock. I’m sure someone like Didier Malherb would have been well versed in Miles, Coltrane, Joe Henderson, Wayne Shorter, Ornette, John Gilmore etc etc........and Daevid Allen likewise the New York avant Garde, esp Riley, Conrad, Young, Cage etc......an interesting melting pot to say the least. As it should be.

Miles didn't say that to Nancy Regan. I've just read the autobiography. Actually he seemed to think Nancy was ok, but he hated being at the White House do. He took issue with the way some Waspy racist woman was asking him what he'd ever done to be here, and the quote above was directed at her.

I think it was wife of actor who played Herman in the Munsters who got the barbed end of Miles' tongue

advertisement

Back