1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Fremer at Rega.

Discussion in 'audio' started by linnfomaniac83, Feb 17, 2017.

1. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I don't know if anyone else has seen this but Michael Fremer has been at Rega and has made a series of four videos (only three uploaded as of yet). This is probably the most in depth Rega factory tour yet, interesting stuff!

First part is here, https://youtu.be/h7elN5KCPvU

2. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Have always liked Rega. Nice folks. And that's a lovely factory and very impressive from any angle. Thanks for the link.

3. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

Much more detailed than the WHF one, if you don't mind the hand-held camera/fly-on-the-wall thing. There are 4 parts, nearly 2 hours in total.

4. linnfomaniac83

Yes, it's remarkably transparent, they hide nothing. Definitely the most comprehensive factory tour to date.

5. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

Though I'm slightly going off Mr Fremer..... RG has the good grace to ignore his more irritating comments.

6. linnfomaniac83

Fremer does have a daft/awkward sense of humour but I think he means well. Roy Gandy is a very likeable character. His staff seem happy and comfortable when he's around and that's always a good sign. It's also great to see a busy factory in the UK. He should be very proud.

7. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

I found it interesting that he's been vindicated about claiming that most regas run fast. The one in the video did....and their chart of acceptible speed tolerance favors fast over slow for every model. I have to say I don't understand why they don't want greater speed accuracy which is acheivable.

NOTE: I love rega as a company, their products, their philosophy, their nature. IT's just an interesting side point about one aspect of the tables.

8. linnfomaniac83

I get the impression that controlling vibration and maximising bearing quality is their highest priority, speed accuracy comes second. I'm not sure about the RP6/8/10 but the P25/5/7/9 models had adjustable motor positioning/belt tensioning which allows you to trim the speed. I have a well fettled P5 and whilst I don't have the tools to measure wow and flutter, I can't detect it. It runs at as close to 33.3 as I can measure.

I do respect the fact that they are open about it.

9. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Jeff,

Regas run slightly fast so you can get a bit more LP listening in on any given night. It's one of the many reasons why analogue is better than digital.

Joe

10. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

I have to disagree. If you want a crude speedup like that, any simple sample rate converter can do that, but in the digital domain you can use formant and phase vocoding to play the music faster without changing the tempo. Try that with analog!

OK, formant & phase vocoding has a dark side - autotune.

11. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Julf,

I'm going to have to disagree here. Chipmunk voice, irritating as it is, is preferable to autotune. Listen to Cher's "I believe" if you don't believe me.

Joe

12. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

It's the funny voices that irritate me, After saying that, there's more good than bad in him.

I've never owned a Rega product, but it seems to be a good company. I hadn't realised they make the arm lifts for Linn.

13. linnfomaniac83

Lots of people use the Rega arm lift, it's an inexpensive, reliable and smooth operating part and Rega have always been happy to supply components to other manufacturers. Linn have them painted black so it's not obvious, they also used to use a different lever on them but use the standard Rega lever lever now too.

14. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

I've sold hundreds of Rega cueing devices to other arm manufacturers.

15. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

There's no question it's not their priority, and as you've correctly asserted above, other factors are. These days, however, it's easier to improve speed accuracy and stability than it was. They go to the trouble of designing this ultra accurate machine to *measure* the speed....so why not just try and improve this down the line? That's only my point. They're fantastic tables. The lot of them. Top to bottom. No argument on that point. If I couldn't have an LP12, I'd have a Rega. It just seems that it's an addressable area for them and couldn't, in anyway, hurt.

Look Roy admits in the video he didn't build a MC for many years because he just didn't get the idea in his head clearly why it would/could work. Now he is. Maybe he just needs to come around to prioritizing speed stability. Hell, next thing you know he'll give a shit about VTA and Azimuth.

16. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

In general you want the unloaded speed to be slightly high, because it will drop when in use as the belt stretches. And IIRC the speeds shown were very much in the right area. The idea of Rega running audibly fast remains a myth...

I think it's fascinating that Rega are actually researching TTs in a proper way. I suspect they're quite unusual. I want one of their rotary encoder discs, and am prepared to pay...

Paul

17. lennyw

lennyw Still throwing Eephus pitches

Now there's a man who really deserves a knighthood. 80% export. Nice one.

18. linnfomaniac83

Yes I was most impressed at that. I worked in electronic manufacturing for the first five years of my working life. I'd always had a very keen interest in the industry. I got made redundant three times because work was going abroad. It is truly heartwarming to see a British manufacturing wholly producing goods in the U.K. and exporting... they seem to be growing too!

19. lennyw

lennyw Still throwing Eephus pitches

On the other hand, Sir James Dyson, who moved his manufacturing to Malaysia...

[EDIT Actually, reading a bit closer, despite this fact there are many other things he's done to boost employment so it's not a completely fair criticism]

20. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

I do believe you, Joe, even without having to force myself to listen to Cher again. The way autotune is used in that song (and tons of current hits) is a deliberate misuse of the technology, sort of like how guitar amplifies use deliberate distortion. Phase and formant vocoding is capable of very high quality transformations, and autotune is just a rather unfortunate implementation of the technology...