advertisement

Meridian M2's

Si74

pfm Member
Power valves in the big system dodgy so made do with these all day/ Makes me think I chose wisely 35 years ago cause these are sublime:)

They're my current main speakers. I loved them back in the 80s, and they sound superb now. I only wish there was someone who could service them - I'd like the caps replaced if nothing else.

I should add that the M2s replaced a pair of EAR509s and Quad ESL 63s after one of the Quads stopped working. They have different strengths (and weaknesses), but for £300 the Meridians sound better than they ought to.

Mines cost rather more than 300 quid back then. I wouldn't worry about recapping them, mine still sound as good as the day I bought them. Now killing a system that cost more than the house. Make sure you feed these with the best pre amp you can afford or you will never realise how good they are!

I bought mine used about six months ago. I'd wanted a pair for ages and then there was an eBay listing about two miles from where I live. Buying them was an easy decision to make.

I'd like to get the ferrofluid replaced in the tweeters, but I don't know who can do that these days.

I bought mine used about six months ago. I'd wanted a pair for ages and then there was an eBay listing about two miles from where I live. Buying them was an easy decision to make.

I'd like to get the ferrofluid replaced in the tweeters, but I don't know who can do that these days.

I have had my Meridian M10's for over 35 years and still love them. Previously had M1's for quite a few years before the M10's.

I have never replaced the caps. I had one T33 tweeter replaced by Meridian with the last one of two they had and both speakers checked about ten years ago. They said other the tweeter was fine (so they wanted to keep the last T33 in case someone else needed it) and the amps in the speakers were upto spec. Unfortunately Meridian won't service them now and their service support is now not of the excellence it was then when they were really very, very helpful and cheap.

So if your M2's sound OK I shouldn't worry.

There is though DIY advice on replacing the ferrofluid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wtfqarUiFhw
and it is available from here: https://willys-hifi.com/products/ferrofluid-refill-kit
and they have a help line.

Or a bit cheaper fro eBay: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=301972350520

If you don't fancy diy a guy in the states will do it for you, but perhaps Willis or Wimslow will as well if asked?

I think most M2's have the T52 tweeter, but DIY replacement of ferrofluid should be similar.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I didn't think the KEF T52 used ferrofluid. The T33 as used in the later M20 did IIRC.

Robert our posts crossed on my edit.

I think you are right. No ferrofluid in T52 so ignore my last sentence. So tweeter should not be a problem if working.

Mines cost rather more than 300 quid back then. I wouldn't worry about recapping them, mine still sound as good as the day I bought them. Now killing a system that cost more than the house. Make sure you feed these with the best pre amp you can afford or you will never realise how good they are!

I agree all the Meridian M actives need something much better than than the 101 pre (although it it good for what it is) to really show what they can do. I run my M10's with a Burmester 808 pre that cost much more than the speakers. All the early Burmester pre amps are a good match.

M3's M20's ( originally owned M2's when they were introduced ) M1's and owned M10's for twenty years, all super speakers the M1's in particular are really good!
Keith

When they were introduced Meridian were cutting edge, extremely similar to the Kii THREE now, radical designs from a newly founded company.
Keith

True, Meridian were part of the "Holy Trinity" of 70-80's British hifi - and if you have to ask who the other two were, then you weren't really there, man. :)

Speaking of the Kii Keith, I think you mentioned (about this time last year!) that they might be in the upcoming Indulgences Show. Is there any news on that?

M3's M20's ( originally owned M2's when they were introduced ) M1's and owned M10's for twenty years, all super speakers the M1's in particular are really good!
Keith

Keith,

Years ago when I replaced my M1's with M10's it was a close call. In a few ways the M1's were a better speaker. More extended in the bass and a little more coherent (less drivers?). Also if you had one of premium finishes like the 'oiled walnut' I had on lone once (mine were black ash) they looked absolutely stunning.

The M10's 'image' and disappear in the room better and that is why I finally settled on them. Close call though and if you don't believe 'soundstage' is important then they are the better speaker IMHO.

Interestingly there at least two different configurations of M1's. Most came with the large ABR in the back, but I again had a loan pair once in rosewood, that I think were Alan Boothroyds, they had a downward facing port instead above where the amp packs were. I preferred the ABR.

Chris Hi, there is a possibility, Kii distribute themselves within the UK, so the show would have to be with their assistance, when I visited last year it appeared a really well organised show but attendance was extremely low.
Keith

Keith,

Years ago when I replaced my M1's with M10's it was a close call. In a few ways the M1's were a better speaker. More extended in the bass and a little more coherent (less drivers?). Also if you had one of premium finishes like the 'oiled walnut' I had on lone once (mine were black ash) they looked absolutely stunning.

The M10's 'image' and disappear in the room better and that is why I finally settled on them. Close call though and if you don't believe 'soundstage' is important then they are the better speaker IMHO.

Interestingly there at least two different configurations of M1's. Most came with the large ABR in the back, but I again had a loan pair once in rosewood, that I think were Alan Boothroyds, they had a downward facing port instead above where the amp packs were. I preferred the ABR.

The chap I bought mine from told me that every pair he had owned were different, he mentioned that they were initially released under a different company, unfortunately I have forgotten the name.
I would like your M10's if you ever decide to change!
BW Keith

Please don't scrape a screwdriver round a vc gap, don't overfill with ferrofluid, watch out for cotton wool fibres(if you follow the bud action in that vid......) hard to see easy to hear..

36278572622_cc04ab1333_z.jpg

Here's just one of a dozen pages of ferrotec audio ferrofluids; https://ferrofluid.ferrotec.com/products/ferrofluid-audio/apg-s/

My Tannoy tulip drivers use APG S18, my JBL compression drivers use APG S38, no idea what the T33 used.

I didn't think the KEF T52 used ferrofluid. The T33 as used in the later M20 did IIRC.

Thank you for that, it's rather reassuring.

They're certainly the best £300 purchase I've made. I first heard them at a Manchester airport show in the 80s and had essentially wanted a pair since them.

advertisement

Back