advertisement

Mercury Prize winner......Who????

TOFFEEMAN1878

Chosen Not Manufactured
Rising hip-hop star Speech Debelle has won the prestigious Mercury Music Prize for the best British album of the year.
Her debut Speech Therapy, released in June, has not appeared in the U.K. Album Chart yet! But sales are expected to increase after her win!

Token, that's who.

pls pls pls no "new wave Acid Jazz modern incantation" as was hinted at this kind of music is heading twds. That'd signal UK independent music finally stone-cold dead in my book.

I watched the last 5 mins of the awards. Speech Debelle? Utter drivel (unless of course you like hip-hop).

and this years award goes to the 'black, female, Streets'.....

When of course it should have been Little Boots.

From what I've heard, she was easily the best of the available options, which was otherwise made up of the unbearably kooky (Bat For Lashes), 80s wanabees (La Roux, Florence and the Machine), raw sewage (Kasabian), landfill indie (Friendly Fires), sub-JAMC scottishness (Glasvegas), ululating girl music (Lisa Hannigan), and forgettable beige-ness (the rest).

Isn't it the job of these awards to celebrate someone who's 'fresh' and 'new' and 'innovative' and, err, .......?

Steve

billo, I had £20 on Roni size when he won, 9-1 shot at Will-Hill, "i thank you..."

i don't like the music but having lived with all the albums on spotify last week, it's the best of a bad bunch.

From what I've heard, she was easily the best of the available options, which was otherwise made up of the unbearably kooky (Bat For Lashes), 80s wanabees (La Roux, Florence and the Machine), raw sewage (Kasabian), landfill indie (Friendly Fires), sub-JAMC scottishness (Glasvegas), ululating girl music (Lisa Hannigan), and forgettable beige-ness (the rest).

spot on.

The 'Mercury' prize has been irrelevant for years now.

Seems to have become a ticket to remain in obscurity as well.

yep, well said.. but 'easily the best'? mmm i thought it sounded equally as awful as the rest. whats sub ja mc?

Must say i gave up when M.I.A. didn't win ~2004 ish, miles ahead of the rest then, & still way more 'now' an album than any of this year's guff. the horrors!! f**k me how embarassing UK independent music is now if this is "top 12" stuff.

The horror. The horror.

Reminds me of when Antony and the Johnsons won. I will never forget the sound of Jools Holland on the radio at the ceremony, he sounded a bit stunned as did many.
Oh how we laughed at home listening to the excerpts on late night radio and his acceptance speech of sorts.
I thought I would get it er indoors for a laugh as a stocking filler for Christmas.
It turned out not too bad [Some of it] even if a bit strange/funny in parts. Fistful of Love being great music if somewhat dodgy lyrically and with an intro by Lou Reed.

Not heard the latest winner though.

Misinformed, blinkered, out of touch, tired and predictable. You guys have it all apart from good taste in new music. This is a music forum not a convention for Pink Floyd and Dire Straits completists. Move on or move out.

Ohhhhhh! "clutches handbag to chest":rolleyes:

Originally Posted by gassor
Misinformed, blinkered, out of touch, tired and predictable. You guys have it all apart from good taste in new music. This is a music forum not a convention for Pink Floyd and Dire Straits completists. Move on or move out.

suggest you add some tunes to the "PFM New spotify palylist "

ah yes they do obviously hark back to them dont they come to think of it, drums especially iirc. I dont mind GV actually, some fairly ok tunes in there, but hardly a 'new' sound or 'prize list' stuff is it mind.. better than the English pap on display there tho. obviously.

advertisement

Back