advertisement

Medium Format from Fuji?

Apropos of nothing, I miss my Mamiya 7, and often wondered if a digital version could be created. The lenses were compact and amongst the sharpest going, it had a 6x7 negative and was pretty light. Mind you, a 6x7 sensor would be HUGELY expensive I reckon...

Just you wayt, 'Enry 'Iggins, just you wayt!

OK I've just spent an hour at a GFX Touch and Try Day, trying to recalibrate my brain back to earth!!

Initial thoughts are:-

• The body is way lighter than I expected, and although bulky handles quite well, the extra grip though makes it very heavy!!
  • Lenses are on the whole well balanced on the camera, tried the 23, 32-64, 63 and 110, only the 32-64 felt a little front heavy, and the GFX + 110 combo felt similar though larger than my X-T2 + 90mm
  • Images are sharp, I mean really sharp, and you can just seem to zoom in forever, the detail is astonishing (when in focus!)
  • Colours even in JPG are excellent, really pop, there is a new SuperFine JPG mode
  • DOF at F2 is wafer thin, and I missed focus a lot!
  • Focus and Card Write seemed a little slow, certainly not X-T2 fast, more like X-E1!
  • EVF is fantastic, just seems vast
  • Images really seem to pop (but then so does the XF90mm at F2)...am I conning myself?

Will I buy one.......

Well I initially said I wouldn't buy an X100F and now I have one! Its a lot of dough in anyone's terms, and even with the tempting cashback offers is still a serious wedge. I have to balance want and need.........and if I 'invested' would I still need my X-T2, given that I have the X100F, selling my X-T2 and lenses, would itself realise quite a bit of cash.

I think the best plan is to hire one with a couple of lenses for a week, and try it side by side with my existing X-T2, I think the cost of the hire is more than offset by making a bad (financial) decision

Just to give you an idea

XzSa2qZh.jpg

100% crop
LegfPqW.jpg

Technically it's difficult the fault (I think it may be the same sensor as in the Hassleblad, and no-one is complaining about that), but, for me, size, weight and to a degree, cost affect my photography, more than the ultimate technical prowess. I'm always aware of the investment when I've got a Leica M9 in my hands, so I really don't enjoy using the camera, whereas my trusty Fuji bodies, being a couple of years old now, are really worth nothing so I take them out in the rain, stand them on the street on self timer and walk away, strap them to a rucksack, and climb up some hillside with the camera banging on the rocks, because they are just a tool. I can stuff my X-e2 in my coat pocket. You'll need a special coat if you go MF - (it's just me, I never got on with the Bronica either!).

Will I buy one.......

Well I initially said I wouldn't buy an X100F and now I have one! Its a lot of dough in anyone's terms, and even with the tempting cashback offers is still a serious wedge. I have to balance want and need.........and if I 'invested' would I still need my X-T2, given that I have the X100F, selling my X-T2 and lenses, would itself realise quite a bit of cash.

I think the best plan is to hire one with a couple of lenses for a week, and try it side by side with my existing X-T2, I think the cost of the hire is more than offset by making a bad (financial) decision

Oooooh - exciting times indeed!

If going this route, might it also be worth considering other (non-Fuji) options as you'll be starting from zero in terms of lenses? If so, the Sony FF cameras are surely worth a look, as is the Nikon D850? Is the Fuji MF sensor really that much better than cutting edge FF sensors? There are also way more lenses available for those systems...

Lefty

Oooooh - exciting times indeed!

If going this route, might it also be worth considering other (non-Fuji) options as you'll be starting from zero in terms of lenses? If so, the Sony FF cameras are surely worth a look, as is the Nikon D850? Is the Fuji MF sensor really that much better than cutting edge FF sensors? There are also way more lenses available for those systems...

Lefty

The GFX is surprisingly light, much lighter than a Nikon D800 series, and the glass is a similar weight (and in some cases lighter - Sigma ART series). Lots of lenses is less of an issue, the less choice I have the less susceptible I am to GAS!!! I'd probably only go for 23mm and 32-64mm. I'm not sold on GFX, but if was going to go bigger I think I would skip FF and go MF.

The GFX is surprisingly light, much lighter than a Nikon D800 series, and the glass is a similar weight (and in some cases lighter - Sigma ART series). Lots of lenses is less of an issue, the less choice I have the less susceptible I am to GAS!!! I'd probably only go for 23mm and 32-64mm. I'm not sold on GFX, but if was going to go bigger I think I would skip FF and go MF.

The weight of the Nikon D850 + battery = 1005g

The weight of a Fuji GFX + battery + EVF = 920g

So there isn't a huge amount in it in terms of weight of the body. (The lenses are similar in weight) However, if we bring Sony into the mix, that's where real weight savings can be made:

Sony A7R III + battery = 657g

I think they are all excellent cameras. I would certainly like to get my hands on a GFX, just for the fun of it. (I'd make sure to leave my wallet at home though!!)

Lefty

I had an A7 which I used mainly with some great FD glass. But I never got on with the handling and menus. I never knew where I was with it. Great sensor and could take great photos, better than my old XT-1. But felt like a computer.
I've seen your Nikon photos, Lefty, and they are terrific. I real film look.
But a PFM owner report of a GFX would be great!

Fortunately the Black Friday Fuji Double Cashback is not applicable to the GFX promotions, my wallet is safe (for the moment)

I had an A7 which I used mainly with some great FD glass. But I never got on with the handling and menus. I never knew where I was with it. Great sensor and could take great photos, better than my old XT-1. But felt like a computer.
I've seen your Nikon photos, Lefty, and they are terrific. I real film look.
But a PFM owner report of a GFX would be great!

Thank you! And yes, I agree about the Sony menus. I had an RX100II briefly and whilst I loved the image quality, the UI drove me insane! Having said that, I believe it's improved on the latest cameras.

Fortunately the Black Friday Fuji Double Cashback is not applicable to the GFX promotions, my wallet is safe (for the moment)

Haha - I did think of you when I saw the double cashback! There are some good deals to be had. One could get the superb XF16-55/2.8 for £558 after cashback, which is a bargain for such a good lens.

Haha - I did think of you when I saw the double cashback! There are some good deals to be had. One could get the superb XF16-55/2.8 for £558 after cashback, which is a bargain for such a good lens.

I know there are some deals just too good to miss, just bagged an XF16 F1.4, had it on an open browser page with WEX, went to Sainsburys came back, and refreshed the page, and it had gone from £729 to £849!!! Found one with another retailer at £729 (£190 cashback is too good to miss), makes it over £125 cheaper than a second hand one in Wilkinsons in Liverpool!!)

advertisement

Back