advertisement

Media Streamer

acevialli

Hi

I have a quad 99 CDP with in built DAC. I am using a Chromecast audio over optical toslink, though this is limited to 24/96 audio.

Are there any reasonably cheap alternatives that will provide 24/192? Basically I am looking for a 24/192 transporter with optical which can provide the stream for the cdp2 DAC to decode.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Asa

I use a Simaudio Moon MiND 180 renderer to provide data for my DAC to decode. Auralic provide similar devices, or if you are handy with Linux you might try a Raspberry Pi. There are lots of devices out there, and plenty on information on PFM about them.

Some transporters can’t do above 24/96 through optical.You will need to research those that can. I use Pi with a Dac hat and analogue out.You can purchase digital interfaces as well but not sure if they will do what you need through optical.

I'm also interested in this thread I'm currently using CCA into Chord 2Qute and it pretty much does everything I want except play the High Res files that I purchased when I had a streamer capable of playing them alternatively I suppose I could get a decent spdif converter and use a wired stream from my Macbook to the 2Qute.

Many thanks for all your comments. I would ideally like to avoid another hifi box. I don't really need a display either as use an app on my phone.

Essentially I just want a Chromecast Audio type device which can output digital for my DAC to decode. An upgraded Chromecast would be great!

The Pi could be an option but with the add-ons is about £100 and it's starting to get to the level where I may as well get a used separates. There doesn't seem to be a simple device out there unless anyone else has any ideas?

Mac Mini? I'm in a similar posistion to yourself and am considering a mac mini it will cost over a 100 pounds though alternatively you can buy a spdif converter and plug your laptop into your Quad.

Does a Mac mini have optical or coax digital output?

If so, that could be a neat solution as could also plug into the TV.

The mac mini is what it says a miniature Apple Mac but can be configured to use as a Music Streamer, I'm pretty sure that it has usb and optical.

The Sony Uhp-H1 is fantastic as a transport, supports most formats, (even multichannel dsf over dlna) up to 192khz over optical, (possible DOP but I haven't tested it) you don't need a monitor, everything can be controlled by Sony application on android/iOs

Sonci, your advice has just made me think that I have an Xbox One. Just checked and can control Spotify and flax media player through this
Means I have to turn my Xbox on but that's not too much hardship.

Thanks for all your help!

FYI...Xbox One has digital output and can play all FLAC files...but downgrades all to 48khz...what a joke!

PS4 passes through full fat...

A Pi might make a nice project and the Demon Matt be one for a later day. A colleague at work wants to do his PS4 for my Xbox, so will see how the"audiophile" PS4 works. The DAC on the 99 CDP sounds great btw!

IMO streaming is all about convenience.. Nothing sounds as good as a cd player!
For Spotify or other compressed streaming services perhaps but if you’re using Roon and Tidal hi res into decent Dac then it compares favourably with many CD players and even surpasses a few. The days of ‘convenience only are pretty much fading.’There are questions of mastering of 5be source but it’s pretty much the same for CD players.Streaming came of age a while ago and I can only see it improving. It’s good to have the choice.

advertisement

Back