advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything I need to do on the MacBook Pro end to ensure I'm getting bit-perfect output of ripped CDs into the MDAC over USB? E.g., do I need to use a particular compression to rip to, use a certain media player, configure midi settings a certain way, etc?

Forgive the basic questions- computer-based audio is new to me and I just want to make sure I'm giving the MDAC the best audition conditions possible when I have it on loan over the weekend. I've ordered a galvanic isolator to make sure there's no noise interference of that kind for the same purpose.

James

You can reply the Bitperfect test file from the MAC and insure the MDAC passes the test for starters...

Hi Phil, I've been back through the instructions and followed word for word this time. It still falls over in the same place though, after moving the foo_out_asio.dll file into the Foobar components folder (instructions page 14). When reopening Foobar after the file has been moved I get the error "Internal error - one or more of the installed components have been damaged." If I remove the dll file it opens fine. The Wasapi dll file works fine. I've tried redownloading and extracting many times but always get the same result. Can someone send me their dll file so I can try that please?

I had the same problem and found out you need to download ASIO4ALL v2 and then install Asio into Foobar :)

Edit: Here's the link http://asio4all.com/ i used version 2.10 not the beta

I'd remove it all and start again from scratch.
Let me check...

Version I downloaded was foo_out_asio 1.2.7 and foo_out_wasapi 2.1

I uninstalled Foobar and ASIO. Restarted the laptop. Followed the instruction manual to the letter, installed Foobar2000 v1.1.11, ASIO support 2.1.1 and ASIO4ALL 2.10, but same result as last time. Surely something is wrong with the latest ASIO support file (.dll)?

I uninstalled Foobar and ASIO. Restarted the laptop. Followed the instruction manual to the letter, installed Foobar2000 v1.1.11, ASIO support 2.1.1 and ASIO4ALL 2.10, but same result as last time. Surely something is wrong with the latest ASIO support file (.dll)?

The Asio file i have is 2.1.1 and it works fine

1. In the past have you had any other USB DAC's installed? - we have the suspicion that certain 192kHz USB drivers appear to leave "remnants" within the OS and can cause this issue when the default MS USB Audio driver is reloaded at a later date.

2. We are aware of certain Motherboard chip sets (Which maybe firmware related) which do not ahead to the USB spec and fails to stream complete USB packets. We have seen Apple MAC's with the issue & a Sony Laptop in China. The latest software build for the MDAC now indicates "Error" and an Error code when it detects a incompleted USB frame. I'm not sure if Dominik has the software ready yet...

Have you tried Asio4all? atleast this would confirm your hardware.

Hi John,

1) I plugged my rDac in the other day. Is there something I can check?
2) Is this referring to when I've used WASAPI but had drop outs? OK let me know when the new software is ready.

I'm trying ASIO4ALL now but foobar won't open when I install it, see chat i'm having with PhilC in this thread.

The MDAC can only support a MAX of 96kHz/24 over USB.

We plan to offer an external Clock-locked optically isolated 192kHz ASync USB "adapter".

John

Are you still planning to offer the mini-itx MITX option ?

Seems like you've got a lot of plate spinning with your contract work on the budget DAC and the Lakewest products in the pipeline. I guess we can't have one without the other, and if it benefits your future Lakewest products then all the better. Just a shame there's only one of you :)

Don't forget to take a holiday !

I've already signed up for the MPAX upgrade and look forward to that which ever way you manage to implement it. I also look forward to doing more business with yourselves for many years to come.

It’s a refreshing approach and your customer support is above and beyond what others seem to offer. I just hope you can manage the work load and that it remains financially viable for Lakewest. Also giving free headphone cable mods to your userbase :eek: This level of support is something else .

After the budget dac contract work, is it full steam ahead on the Lakewest products? Or is it always going to be a case of taking on board the contract work in balance with your own products. Reading between the lines I can see you will produce your own DAC, a mixture of what you've learnt from the budget design without the cost cutting would be my guess ?

Hi John,

2) Is this referring to when I've used WASAPI but had drop outs? OK let me know when the new software is ready.

I'm trying ASIO4ALL now but foobar won't open when I install it, see chat i'm having with PhilC in this thread.

Just to confirm you are also installing the ASIO host 32/64 file as well as the .dll file ?

Edit: don't unzip the downloaded asio file just install the zip file :)

Hi John,

No plugging in your rDAC should be OK (Does it drop out with WASAPI)?

Yes I was referring to the dropouts - I'd be interested to know if the rDAC drops out as its also uses the TAS1020B (I believe) and should use the same Window's system drivers.

John

therixonator - as someones already mentioned not the beta but 2.10.

Assuming pages 10/11 have been followed and Audiolab MDAC is selected as your default audio device and speaker properties advanced default format is 24bit 44,100Hz

What version of Windows?

Have my buffer length set to 1000ms for Asio4All

Are you still planning to offer the mini-itx MITX option ?

Seems like you've got a lot of plate spinning with your contract work on the budget DAC and the Lakewest products in the pipeline. I guess we can't have one without the other, and if it benefits your future Lakewest products then all the better. Just a shame there's only one of you :)

Don't forget to take a holiday !

I've already signed up for the MPAX upgrade and look forward to that which ever way you manage to implement it. I also look forward to doing more business with yourselves for many years to come.

It’s a refreshing approach and your customer support is above and beyond what others seem to offer. I just hope you can manage the work load and that it remains financially viable for Lakewest. Also giving free headphone cable mods to your userbase :eek: This level of support is something else .

After the budget dac contract work, is it full steam ahead on the Lakewest products? Or is it always going to be a case of taking on board the contract work in balance with your own products. Reading between the lines I can see you will produce your own DAC, a mixture of what you've learnt from the budget design without the cost cutting would be my guess ?

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

The "BDAC" we are designing for a friend, he's well known in the UK HiFi industry - a decent and honest guy :)

Our DAC will be based upon a totally new platform - however we might release something in between...

M-ITX will proceed once I get to China and spend a day with our mechanical designer... still on the cards as I could do with small format PC myself :)

John

No plugging in your rDAC should be OK (Does it drop out with WASAPI)?

Yes I was referring to the dropouts - I'd be interested to know if the rDAC drops out as its also uses the TAS1020B (I believe) and should use the same Window's system drivers.

John

Will try the rDac with WASAPI tomorrow night and let you know.

therixonator - as someones already mentioned not the beta but 2.10.

Assuming pages 10/11 have been followed and Audiolab MDAC is selected as your default audio device and speaker properties advanced default format is 24bit 44,100Hz

What version of Windows?

Have my buffer length set to 1000ms for Asio4All

Yes, I'm using 2.10, not 2.11 beta 1.

Yes, page 10/11 all followed exactly as listed. Mine was on 24bit 96000hz, i had to change it to 24bit 44100hz.

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, Service Pack 1.

Can't review that yet as I can't open Foobar

therixonator - other things to try:
- run msconfig to remove any spurious programs started up. Basically remove unwanted processes which may be clogging system resource. I found 2 mobile phone sync programs which were constantly running , some of which maybe hogging your usb port.
- usbtrace , google it . Captures data on usb, thats if you can understand the results
Both of these were suggested by Plutox awhile ago.

How did you remove foobar ...sounds like a corruption of some sorts. try again :) do you get the red cross on your foobar toolbar icon?
whats the error on executing foobar?
edit - re-read your post...
"Internal error - one or more of the installed components have been damaged."

The components are dropped into foobar subfolder "components" .On uninstall is this directory completely removed ?
Right click properties to make sure the permissions to run are ok i.e not read-only

You've probably done the above already, but no harm in checking.

Hi John,
Do you think it would still be possible to sign up for, or pre-order the M-Pax upgrade? And in case it is possible would you be so kind as to let me know the details for wiring payment? Thank you very much!
Ale
P.s. What is the M-ITX?

I was listening to Craig Armstrongs superb soundtrack to the film "In Time" last night and noticed the MDAC was showing 18bit/44.1KHz.

Why 18 bit?

I was listening to Craig Armstrongs superb soundtrack to the film "In Time" last night and noticed the MDAC was showing 18bit/44.1KHz.

Why 18 bit?

What was the source?

The MDAC is indicating the "True" audio data, guess they had an issue during Mastering... They might not even be aware...

John

So, is this a good thing or bad?

It sounds pretty much perfect to me, but I probably couldn't reliably identify the difference between 16 bit and 18 bit by ear anyway! I suppose I could re-sample it, but rather spend my time listening to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back