advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or a smart looking 'Lakewest' stick on logo to cover, or compliment, the Audiolab name on the front, bottom right.

AUDIOLAB
by Lakewest

Please remember that without someone in Audiolab who believed to John's vision, we would not have mdac, cd and cdq

Can you get some new fascias made as well with the Lakewest logo :D

Great idea - I'd love that, in the same brushed-metal finish (instead of spray painted) as the Audiolab CD Players with machined-in logo :) I'd happily pay for an updated/improved front panel if it was ever an option...

John

P.S. JohnW - will the MPAX be available in both silver & black finishes?

Great idea - I'd love that, in the same brushed-metal finish (instead of spray painted) as the Audiolab CD Players with machined-in logo :) I'd happily pay for an updated/improved front panel if it was ever an option...

John

P.S. JohnW - will the MPAX be available in both silver & black finishes?

Hi John,

The MDAC front panel is bead blasted - anodised aluminium - no spray paint.

The old style "Hairline" finish is falling out of fashion - with fine grain bead blast replacing it.

Personally I prefer the bead blast finish - the hairline reminds me of the 1970's Japanese style products - where as the bead blast is more akin to the finish on HQ cameras.

The MPAX will be available in both Silver and Black matching (hopefully) the MDAC.

John

Hello John,

I've received the replacement MDAC from the canadian distributor and it's been running in for about a week.

I'm feeding it with the Naim UnitiServe >> Naim DC1 cable >> power amp section of an Audiolab 8000S integrated >> Tellurium Q Black speaker cable >> Amphion Argon 3 speakers.

Last night I sat down to listen to Leonard Cohen's latest opus, Old Ideas. On the track "Come Healing", the Webb sisters angelic voices materialized on the left and the right and there, perfectly in the middle, the third voice, the one that magically appears when two-part harmony is done perfectly. Then Cohen started singing, his voice neatly replacing the middle voice. I sat transfixed. Everything came together perfectly, the meaning and layers of the song unfolding just as Mr Cohen had intended, I'm sure.

After many more albums, I ended the evening completely mesmerized in a direct connection with the beats and sounds of Shlomo (AKA Henry Laufer), on "Shlomosun Redux". And I'd never really got into the album before.

John, the MDAC is simply phenomenal.

Got to go, lots of music to listen to !

Jan

Hello John,

I've received the replacement MDAC from the canadian distributor and it's been running in for about a week.

I'm feeding it with the Naim UnitiServe >> Naim DC1 cable >> power amp section of an Audiolab 8000S integrated >> Tellurium Q Black speaker cable >> Amphion Argon 3 speakers.

Last night I sat down to listen to Leonard Cohen's latest opus, Old Ideas. On the track "Come Healing", the Webb sisters angelic voices materialized on the left and the right and there, perfectly in the middle, the third voice, the one that magically appears when two-part harmony is done perfectly. Then Cohen started singing, his voice neatly replacing the middle voice. I sat transfixed. Everything came together perfectly, the meaning and layers of the song unfolding just as Mr Cohen had intended, I'm sure.

After many more albums, I ended the evening completely mesmerized in a direct connection with the beats and sounds of Shlomo (AKA Henry Laufer), on "Shlomosun Redux". And I'd never really got into the album before.

John, the MDAC is simply phenomenal.

Got to go, lots of music to listen to !

Jan

Hi Jan,

I've had the same experience - you can hear every voice and instrument within a good recording...

Brought a smile to my face - thank you so much... Gives me the energy to fight this budget DAC design...

John

First excuse me for my English, I am French. I think it would be interesting to create a topic devoted exclusively to MPAX. To develop the different characteristics of this improvement. Where and how to order it? How to connect to the computer, the MDAC? Will it be necessary to acquire the Clock-Lock Async 192kHz Isolated USB converter?
Thank you in advance.
SPCK

I stand corrected John - bead blasted, then. Still prefer the hairline look of the 70s Japanese models myself. To me it's not dated but timeless/classy looking.

Each to his/her own though :)

Great news about MPAX being available in both silver & black to match the DACs. I'm saving already ;)

- J

Hi John,

The MDAC front panel is bead blasted - anodised aluminium - no spray paint.

The old style "Hairline" finish is falling out of fashion - with fine grain bead blast replacing it.

Personally I prefer the bead blast finish - the hairline reminds me of the 1970's Japanese style products - where as the bead blast is more akin to the finish on HQ cameras.

The MPAX will be available in both Silver and Black matching (hopefully) the MDAC.

John

First excuse me for my English, I am French. I think it would be interesting to create a topic devoted exclusively to MPAX. To develop the different characteristics of this improvement. Where and how to order it? How to connect to the computer, the MDAC? Will it be necessary to acquire the Clock-Lock Async 192kHz Isolated USB converter?
Thank you in advance.
SPCK

Bonjour et bienvenue (Hello and welcome),

I miss France - lived in Rennes and Paris for many years, with many fond memory's :)

While working Budget DAC, I've developed a method to VASTLY improve the PSU sections on the MDAC motherboard - so my thinking is its more beneficial to improve the local regulation on the MDAC Mainboard before adding the MPAX - so for optimal upgrade - the MDAC will need to be return to me in Czech Rep. for updates to the Mainboard...

With the Mainboard modifications, new internal PSU card & MPAX external supply should reap a dramatic increase in performance...

But first I need to complete this Budget Dac design...

John

Hi John

Do you have a new ETA for the software update? (Audiolab and Lakewest versions) ?

Many thanks

Harry

Hi Harry,

Dominik forwarded me an update today - I'm not sure if it the release version as I was not around to speak with him - I'll find out tomorrow,

John

While working Budget DAC, I've developed a method to VASTLY improve the PSU sections on the MDAC motherboard - so my thinking is its more beneficial to improve the local regulation on the MDAC Mainboard before adding the MPAX - so for optimal upgrade - the MDAC will need to be return to me in Czech Rep. for updates to the Mainboard...

As a user in North America looking to upgrade, let me say that this revelation makes me very sad.... :-(

Not sure why both. FedEx can sUrely ship from the us to cr just as easily as uk to cr. cost a bit more for sure but might be less than you think? Just shipped a 16kg box uk to nz for £113 - much less than I expected.

If you don't mind John, could you publish the mod so those far out in Asia and states could do the mod ourown? When comes to mod, I don't mind spending on better quality component :)

Mav

Bonjour et bienvenue (Hello and welcome),

I miss France - lived in Rennes and Paris for many years, with many fond memory's :)

With the Mainboard modifications, new internal PSU card & MPAX external supply should reap a dramatic increase in performance...

But first I need to complete this Budget Dac design...

John

If you don't mind John, could you publish the mod so those far out in Asia and states could do the mod ourown? When comes to mod, I don't mind spending on better quality component :)

Mav

Hi Mav,

The modification (once I've developed the final solution) will involve replacing MANY SMD components around the discrete regulator circuits - for starters the Regulator Pass Transistor will be replaced by MOSFETs (and then the circuit needs to be re-biased and re-compensated)...

I'll developed the solution once I've worked on the Budget DAC's hardware...

Due to the complexity and testing required, It will not be a DIY project. I'm guessing at about 50 components changed per board...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back