advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just what the world needs, reasonability.

So the M-DAC remote will switch between digital and analogue inputs and control the volume of both?

Though I'm so impressed with this NAS thing I may put all my vinyl on it too..

Did I really say that??

The NAS has its own player within itself which seems prety decent so far, also has radio functionality, though I cant get the BBC IPLAYER working yet..

The latest firmware version supports running the NAS wirelessly and you can stream it to anywhere.

As a small bonus ripped Cds sound better than the cd itself ,a concept I found hard to grasp until I heard it for myself. Partly to do with pinholes in the aluminium coating of the discs and various other factors.

I will happily donate to this great cause. Thank you both John and Dom for your support in further improving this truly amazing DAC.

I will definitely try the internal amplifier when I get my Sennheiser HD 800 -- it would be truly superb if I didn't have to resort to my external unit.
I am using MDAC with HD800 and I'm totally delighted with its performance as a headphone amp. Ticks all the boxes, job done. Better than my previous Graham Slee headphone amp anyway, which was a great amp in itself.

When playing music from my PC, every now and then, it sounds like an artifact of sound gets dragged along with the rest of playback, which ruins the song. It's easily fixed, you just move the seek bar anywhere and it's gone but it shouldn't happen in the first place. Sometimes songs just refuse to play or "hang" in the second-second of playback; you have to pick another album and then head back to make it restart.

I've tried every buffer length under the sun and am using Wasapi.

I've passed both bit prefect playback tests and I use usb.

Has anyone experienced this and do they have any suggestions please?

When playing music from my PC, every now and then, it sounds like an artifact of sound gets dragged along with the rest of playback, which ruins the song. It's easily fixed, you just move the seek bar anywhere and it's gone but it shouldn't happen in the first place. Sometimes songs just refuse to play or "hang" in the second-second of playback; you have to pick another album and then head back to make it restart.

What player are you using?

What OS are you using?

I doubt its the M-DAC if it has passed the bit perfect test so suggest you try a different player and/or a different PC or Laptop.

Is there an official site / place where firmware updates for the M-MDAC are published? I don't see anything like that on Audiolab's website.

I've had these types of issues with the M-DAC using Wasapi in foobar on a 64 bit Windows 7 laptop, it doesn't seem to be an issue with other players I've tried, nor has it been an issue with other DAC's in foobar. Switching to ASIO4All and using ASIO in foobar seemed to solve the issues when using the M-DAC.

This in part prompted me to try J River Media Center which, once I got set up properly, I've had no issues with and I've quite fallen for it. It's seems to be a nice cross of the ease of use of iTunes with the tweakability of foobar.

I've had these types of issues with the M-DAC using Wasapi in foobar on a 64 bit Windows 7 laptop, it doesn't seem to be an issue with other players I've tried, nor has it been an issue with other DAC's in foobar. Switching to ASIO4All and using ASIO in foobar seemed to solve the issues when using the M-DAC.

This in part prompted me to try J River Media Center which, once I got set up properly, I've had no issues with and I've quite fallen for it. It's seems to be a nice cross of the ease of use of iTunes with the tweakability of foobar.

This was also my experience in regards Foobar2K with wasapi W7, no matter what the buffer levels were set it seemed to fail on 96/24 more often. I then switched to Asio4All which performed a lot more stable. Very occasionally after hours of use I was getting a USB "inactive" message on MDAC. This was rectified by reconnecting USB cable in laptop. Still not sure what this fault is. Used a USB port monitor , but can't make head or tail of the capture (on first look).

Switched to JRiver also, at first with Asio output, but this failed constantly. Switching to WASAPI Event style seems to be a winner. No faults so far after a fair few hours last night.

On first run I accidently switched the toggle "Present 24bit data in a 32bit package (required by some hardware)" this came back with a playback error.

Once switched off it came back with another playback error message
"Playback could not be started on the output 'Windows Audio Session API WASAPI using the format 44100 Hz, 16 Bits Per Sampie, 2 Channels'". DSP automatically switched this to 24bit 2 ch.

Third time lucky and so far so good. Been playing around with all the numerous visualisation options.

Other settings that I can recall are ticking both "Disable volume" and "Volume Protection". And in WASPI 100ms buffer setting. Play gapless and cross fade set to 4 (agressive).

Dudes, no wish to be contrary here but...:)

Why not just use itunes? Plug and play as they say,

No shagging about with setting loads of faff stuff, and sounds as good as the rest as it's bit perfect and therefore has to.

No hi res as yet though if that's important.

??? iTunes handles high-res - it just doesn't auto-switch between different sample/bit rates unless you use a 3rd party add-on like Bitperfect (if you're using a Mac).

Dudes, no wish to be contrary here but...:)

Why not just use itunes? Plug and play as they say,

No shagging about with setting loads of faff stuff, and sounds as good as the rest as it's bit perfect and therefore has to.

No hi res as yet though if that's important.

All my audio is Flac so thats a no go ;)

I'm using JRiver with Asio4all and i haven't had any issues with playback.

PhilCTTE, do you have any issues with the USB isolator as since fitting it to my setup every so often when i switch the dac on it doesn't get usb lock and i have to power the dac off and back on which normally works ?

Carlos - no problem obtaining lock.

I have one issue that on the odd occasion the MDAC reads "inactive" , and this is where I have to unplug USB cable from laptop and re-insert.

Not had to power off for a long time.

I'm not convinced that its anything to do with the MDAC but problems with my Laptop/OS . I've ran a USB port monitor , but as yet have not made head or tail of the data on first look.

The problem is not frequent enough for me to worry about it yet. I will get round to investigating maybe. My laptop is the household laptop which has Mcafee ISP software and all the other apps. I ran MSConfig a few weeks back which made a huge impact on performance, but still did not stop the "inactive" message incident. Happens maybe 1 in 3 times . As mentioned quickly rectified by re-plugging USB cable.

Carlos - no problem obtaining lock.

I have one issue that on the odd occasion the MDAC reads "inactive" , and this is where I have to unplug USB cable from laptop and re-insert.

Not had to power off for a long time.

I'm not convinced that its anything to do with the MDAC but problems with my Laptop/OS . I've ran a USB port monitor , but as yet have not made head or tail of the data on first look.

The problem is not frequent enough for me to worry about it yet. I will get round to investigating maybe. My laptop is the household laptop which has Mcafee ISP software and all the other apps. I ran MSConfig a few weeks back which made a huge impact on performance, but still did not stop the "inactive" message incident. Happens maybe 1 in 3 times . As mentioned quickly rectified by re-plugging USB cable.

Thanks for the reply, its the inactive message that i get when switching on and as i say switch it off and back on cures it so maybe thats doing the same as unplugging and re-inserting the USB.

Next time it does it i will try unplugging the USB instead of powering off !

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back