advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking with Dominik, and we will add a feature to allow renaming of inputs on the Lakewest Build.

We can also add Phase invert option (although I don't believe it will make any real difference).

Mono summing requires DSP power that we don't have....

John

Another quote by JohnW:
"Yes, we could make a small box with a Clock-Lock Async 192kHz Isolated USB converter - I'd rather do this then design a "Olimex usb isolator" type product... It would resolve two issues with one stone... (Async USB 192 + Isolation)..."

Any progress on that front, John? No transport required, thank you.

We have the circuit designed - but on the budget DAC. Once I've complete the budget DAC, I'll copy the circuit section and design a stand-alone board for the MDAC...

John

According to JohnW, "So as long as a decent AC mains filter is fitted to the "PC" and used with our optically isolated Async USB solution, any "PC system" will work as well."

May I ask what a decent AC mains filter might be? No DIY solutions please, thank you.

Sorry, I have no idea about mains filters - I use lab grade filters built into the Lab racking...

Speaking with Dominik, and we will add a feature to allow renaming of inputs on the Lakewest Build.

We can also add Phase invert option (although I don't believe it will make any real difference).

Mono summing requires DSP power that we don't have....

John

Thanks John/Dominik.

Adding ability to rename inputs is good news.

If you are thinking of using a pick list, my post #330 could be a good starting point.

Look forward to you/Domonic posting more details when available.

Why does #330 bother to differentiate between PC, Mac & Laptop?

Any one installation is only likely to have one source COMPuter!

Personally I am fine with the current input name (USB) but I understand that some people would prefer a choice, e.g easier for other family members to understand, but I could be wrong.

Also, I believe devices other than COMPuter(s) can be connected e.g Squeezebox (SQBOX).

John/Dominik have not indicated yet how they intend to add the ability to rename inputs but if they decide to use a pick list then I presume the full list would be available for all inputs.

IMO, bespoke input naming would be ideal but not sure if this would be possible.

Obviously, I have no knowledge of how their software is constructed but memory, be it for code or data, isn't over-abundant in most micro-controller devices.

More naming options ultimately means less memory available for future code enhancements ;)

Obviously, I have no knowledge of how their software is constructed but memory, be it for code or data, isn't over-abundant in most micro-controller devices.

More naming options ultimately means less memory available for future code enhancements ;)

Like you, I have no knowledge of how the software is constructed.

But, another possible way would be to include an option, during the upgrade process, to add a list of up to 5 alternative input names (bespoke or from a pick list) to give a choice of up to 5 names for each input.

All guesswork at this stage but no harm in discussing/suggesting until more details become available.

Dom wll add the option for fully user defined input labeling - we need to code for future products anyway - so might as well spend the time to write the code now and make everyone happy...

The Mainboard processor only has 6KB total memory - so little we can do with it, but the front panel MCU has a massive 64KB by comparison :)

Might not sound a lot by today's standards of poorly written software - but plenty for our needs.

John

Dom wll add the option for fully user defined input labeling - we need to code for future products anyway - so might as well spend the time to write the code now and make everyone happy...

The Mainboard processor only has 6KB total memory - so little we can do with it, but the front panel MCU has a massive 64KB by comparison :)

Might not sound a lot by today's standards of poorly written software - but plenty for our needs.

John

Hi John/Dom

That will be perfect.

Many thanks.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to have somewhat more generic labels? Then we could all use it. Not everyone has Sonos (mine's Pioneer N50).

It would indeed, Richard, and I'd be more than happy with that. However, not sure if you read John's original post to me, but he offered (if there's time) to do a firmware build just for me. However, it looks like source re-namnng will be in the Lakewest build anyway :)

Ben

I think the real question is: will the lakewest build replace the audiolab boot logo with a lakewest one ;) ?

It would indeed, Richard, and I'd be more than happy with that. However, not sure if you read John's original post to me, but he offered (if there's time) to do a firmware build just for me. However, it looks like source re-namnng will be in the Lakewest build anyway :)

Ben

Ben's quite right - I offered a personalized version of the software for Ben's MDAC - but it seems everyone would like to rename there inputs so we will do the job properly and add an option to customize the name for each input with the Lakewest build.

I'd definitely be interested in that comparison. I've used a HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, Headroom Desktop Portable, the internal amp of a CEntrance DACmini and the two vintage receivers I mentioned earlier. In my opinion the two receivers drove the LCD-2's the best by a fair margin, it seems like something like the beta22, which I've been curious about now for awhile, would be my next logical step up but I can't help wonder whether the gains would justify the cost.

OK - I've given it an evening of Formula1 pitstop-esque changes between the beta22 and MDAC to present some quick'n'dirty impressions.

It's a bit out of place in this thread so I stuck it here:
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=117245

./dom

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back