advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure 9V? The PSU supplied with my SBT is 5V - 9V is going to push the dissipation within the SBT - if not exceed the Capacitor voltage ratings - I could be wrong...

John

You're quite right, my mistake; I built one originally for a squeezebox receiver, which is 9v, then modded it for 5v output when I switched to an SBT

Hi John a quick question for you or anyone else.

I have the MDAC and am wondering how high end I can go with headphones. Since my partner and her kids moved in I find it harder to sit down and blast music out at the levels I like (Martin logan Clarity speakers) and am considering getting some really good cans. I may even consider Grado GS1000i or Sennheiser HD800 if the MDAC can get the best out of these.

All thoughts are welcome.

Cheers

I have HD800's and for dull reasons was not able to use my normal Headline/Teddy Cap combo for a while. They worked fine and I did not miss the Headline, not even sure there was any difference which is a little upsetting considering the total cost of the Naim stuff. Just got a Graham Slee Ultra Linear Solo too, that's turning out to be better than both however:)

I have the MDAC and am wondering how high end I can go with headphones. Since my partner and her kids moved in I find it harder to sit down and blast music out at the levels I like (Martin logan Clarity speakers) and am considering getting some really good cans. I may even consider Grado GS1000i or Sennheiser HD800 if the MDAC can get the best out of these.

Cheers

I'm using a pair of modified Alessandro MS Pro and they sound very, very good through my Mdac. My 2 and 4 year old keep me so occupied that my speakers haven't had a work out for a while so, i know where you're coming from. Expecting the third(and final little one) in September, i guess i may aswell pack everything away for the next few years:(:eek:

Also in that price bracket is the Audeze LCD2, which I've not yet tried from my MDAC, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't drive them extremely well.

I use the LCD-2 Rev.2's with my M-DAC. Before the M-DAC I had tried quite a few different budget to mid-level amp and DAC combinations finally settling on either a vintage Pioneer SX-650 or Harman Kardon 730 Twin Power for amplification. Both these surpassed anything else I had tried to that point and even when I first got the M-DAC I felt either did a better job with the LCD-2's than the M-DAC's internal amp.

A few weeks after I got the M-DAC, on a lark, I retried the internal amp and was pleasantly surprised that it now seemed to hold it's own in comparison to the two vintage receivers. It's maybe not quite as open, controlled and effortless but there's a synergy there that I quite like so I've been mainly just using the internal amp the last month or so.

I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it's going to be better than some of better the mid-level to high-end amps on the market but it definitely no slouch either.

I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it's going to be better than some of better the mid-level to high-end amps on the market but it definitely no slouch either.

Mine are late production rev1, I'll compare using my £2k+ balanced beta22 vs. MDAC and post some impressions.

Cheers
HD800s with MDAC here and the sound is quite a way ahead of the Graham Slee dedicated headphone amp I used before. However, other things have changed in the system as well so it'd be difficult to say how much of the improvement is down to the MDAC and how much is down to a better source.

If you ever wanted a cheap break and get your super CDQ :) then Wife says cheap flights (some unknown airline) Edinburgh to Prague... we could collect you from Prague and arrange accommodation - depends where your Wife wants to visit I guess (Prague is best) or the mountains...
I might have to come on my own as the kids complicate things. In any event, if I could get permission I could always spend an additional couple of nights in Prague as I do really like it (there's a cracking ooompa beer house not far from Wenceslas Square that I'd love to go back to, and it's high time I gave the 5D-II some nice subjects).

Let me run the question past her and see if there's any chance of this (I have a songwriting workshop weekend in June so she might 'recommend' later in the summer or early autumn....)

Hi John

In the Lakewest build, would it be possible to include a choice of Named Inputs, something like:-

Default Input Name USB - Plus options of PC, Laptop, Mac.

Default Input Names OPT1, OPT2, COAX1, COAX2 - Plus options of TV, PVR, CD, DVD, BluRay, Aux, PC, Laptop, Mac, for each input.

Also, Display On/Off - Would it be possible to have 'delayed Off' after say one min with 'auto on' when pressing any key.

Many thanks.

Hi John

Just to update my request for input naming options.

Default Input Name USB - Options: USB, PC, LAPTP, MAC

Default Input Name OPT1 - Options: OPT1,TV, PVR, CD, DVD, B-RAY, AUX, PC, LAPTP, MAC, SQBOX, SONOS,CABLE,PS3.

Default Input Name OPT2 - Options: OPT2,TV, PVR, CD, DVD, B-RAY, AUX, PC, LAPTP, MAC, SQBOX, SONOS,CABLE,PS3.

Default Input Names COAX1 - Options: COAX1,TV, PVR, CD, DVD, B-RAY, AUX, PC, LAPTP, MAC, SQBOX, SONOS,CABLE,PS3.

Default Input Names COAX2 - Options: COAX2,TV, PVR, CD, DVD, B-RAY, AUX, PC, LAPTP, MAC, SQBOX, SONOS,CABLE,PS3.

I believe the above input names should cover most M-DAC owners' requirements but not happy with the Laptop short name (LAPTP) so suggestions please plus any additional input names I've missed.

Hi John

Default Input Name OPT1 - Options: OPT1,TV, PVR, CD, DVD, B-RAY, AUX, PC, LAPTP, MAC, SQBOX, SONOS,CABLE,PS3.

Default Input Name OPT2 - Options: OPT2,TV, PVR, CD, DVD, B-RAY, AUX, PC, LAPTP, MAC, SQBOX, SONOS,CABLE,PS3.

Default Input Names COAX1 - Options: COAX1,TV, PVR, CD, DVD, B-RAY, AUX, PC, LAPTP, MAC, SQBOX, SONOS,CABLE,PS3.

Default Input Names COAX2 - Options: COAX2,TV, PVR, CD, DVD, B-RAY, AUX, PC, LAPTP, MAC, SQBOX, SONOS,CABLE,PS3.

I believe the above input names should cover most M-DAC owners' requirements but not happy with the Laptop short name (LAPTP) so suggestions please plus any additional input names I've missed.

Sony fanboy, no Xbox option :eek:

Hi John

I would add:
HT or AV (for Home Theather)
SAT (for Sky decoder)
NET (for Network Player)
MPLAY (for Media Player)

all things I'm using

I would add:
HT or AV (for Home Theather)
SAT (for Sky decoder)
NET (for Network Player)
MPLAY (for Media Player)

all things I'm using

Not sure if the number of option choices will need to be limited and if so what the limit will be.

Personally, I only need the Options of B-RAY, PVR, AUX and TV respectively for the OPT1, OPT2, COAX1 and COAX2 inputs.

USB is fine for me as it is (USB).

So before we continue, maybe John/DOM can confirm they are able/willing to include Named Input Options in the 'Lakewest' update and if so what is the maximum number of names that can be accommodated (limited to 5 character per Name).

Not sure if the number of option choices will need to be limited and if so what the limit will be.

Personally, I only need the Options of TV, PVR, B-RAY and AUX for the OPT1, OPT2, COAX1 and COAX2 inputs.

USB is fine for me as it is (USB).

So before we continue, maybe John/DOM can confirm they are able/willing to include Named Input Options in the 'Lakewest' update and if so what is the maximum number of names that can be accommodated (limited to 5 character per Name).

Johns already said in post 308 that its not easy to add name options :confused:

I haven't been around for a few weeks, has the westlake software update come out yet?

I already have the beta version so have fine playback on my V+ cable box, just wondeirng if the full version has been released, or the version with extras like screen off function etc...

MDac's been running lovely, only unfortunately im getting used to the SQ improvement over my old DAC, the novelty has worn off, i haven't been listening to nearly enough music the last few weeks either, naughty naughty, will rectify that this weekend!

Also, what all this talk about a funny 'batch'?
I bought mine on christmas eve UK, should i be checking anything like serial numbers etc?

Thanks ;)

Mine are late production rev1, I'll compare using my £2k+ balanced beta22 vs. MDAC and post some impressions.

I'd definitely be interested in that comparison. I've used a HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, Headroom Desktop Portable, the internal amp of a CEntrance DACmini and the two vintage receivers I mentioned earlier. In my opinion the two receivers drove the LCD-2's the best by a fair margin, it seems like something like the beta22, which I've been curious about now for awhile, would be my next logical step up but I can't help wonder whether the gains would justify the cost.

Hi John

+1
The above suggestions would work just fine for me too.

Hi John,

If you/Dom did get chance to (no rush, maybe on the Lakewest version when it's released) they would be:

COAX1 -> SONOS
COAX2 -> CD
OPT1 -> PS3
OPT2 -> CABLE
USB -> USB

Ben

Wouldn't it be more sensible to have somewhat more generic labels? Then we could all use it. Not everyone has Sonos (mine's Pioneer N50).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back