1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC first listen (part III)

Discussion in 'audio' started by John_73, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 29mile

29mile pfm Member

Thanks for that John. I have no problem with the warranty lapsing ( famous last words !). Willing to use my own power supply but can you supply a connector and pin-out details ?

2. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

Hi Phil,

The only plans we have for USB is to include a Async 192kHz optically isolated USB interface on the CD transport...

As for the streamer, we plan to offer upgrades to the Squeeze box touch's - which adds a Clock-Lock interface link...

The SBT is limited to 24/96... and not sure about DLNA...

3. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

There are 2 options then , is this correct ?

M-PAX basic PSU guise with AV bypass £299 (standard)

1 + additional card for M-DAC + £50 (premium)

2 + step attenuation and analogue input + £100.

or is it 1 + 2 = £100 i.e £50 each option not £150. So max price of M-PAX with everything is £399 ?

4. JohnW

Yes, I'll also supply the Mini Din lead and schematic of the updated MDAC PSU board so you can workout the connections (With notes concerning PSU voltages and currents) :)

I guess I should remove you from the M-PAX pre-order list...

John

5. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

6. JohnW

The full option version would cost:

M-PAX basic PSU guise with AV bypass £289

+

Internal PSU card for M-DAC £59

+

Analogue input Step attenuation £99

= an all up price of £447.

Sadly the Analogue input Stepped attenuator option (£99) is very costly due to the number of Reed Relays & the high precision resistors used to maintain good Common Mode rejection.

John

7. JohnW

8. JohnW

If you somehow damage your unit, I can repair it FOC - you would just have to pay for the shipping and any replacement parts (if they are worth charging for)... I'd only worry about the OLED display panel or the ESS DAC, the individual cost of the rest of the components is not worth worrying about...

John

9. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

Ok thanks just to confirm that my order is for

"M-PAX basic PSU guise with AV bypass £289

+

Internal PSU card for M-DAC £59"

Regards 192kHz output from your transport , whats the source , are you reading 192kHz res files from an external server ? I seemed to have got myself confused :)

10. JohnW

:) No the CD transport will also have a USB port (just like the MDACs USB port), but will support 192kHz Audio + its inherently Galvanicilly isolated - so streaming from PC etc...

11. TwoSeventy

TwoSeventy pfm Member

So the new CD transport will connect to the MDAC by USB? Any idea how much the CD transport will cost?

12. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Bugger - this is a bit of a show stopper for me as I really wanted to be able to use the three most popular sample/bit rates (16/44.1 / 24/96 24/192) via USB from my Mac mini. I realise I could get something like a Musical Fidelity V-Link II to pass on 24/192 data to the MDAC via coax, but this would mean another box, and more money...

Think I'll wait for your forthcoming own brand DAC instead if this offers all the main sample/bit rates via USB?

- John

13. onlyconnect

onlyconnect pfm Member

What is the point of 24/192 over 24/96?

Tim

14. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

So stream 192 PC via USB to USB port on CD transport and output via optical to MDAC ..:eek:

15. desp_erado

desp_erado MDAC fan

I am sure mine's still evolving! It's moving further and further away from my KI CD player's DACs. Sounds fantastic!

When the M-PAX arrives, will I need to have some short XLR to XLR cables in preparation then to connect to the M-DAC? I am assuming the M-PAX comes with the DIN power cable for the power and signal connections?

16. JohnW

Yes :)

The MDAC is Clock Master, so Async USB is the perfect source - the optical connections isolate your MDAC from your PC environment - while the Clock link removes the Jitter...

17. JohnW

Yes - Power MiniDin cable is included

18. JohnW

The Transport will connect to the MDAC via two Optical connections (One for SPDIF DATA and the Second for Clock Lock) and an IR Bus Link cable.

There will be 2 USB connections - the "legacy" USB port on the MDAC that's good for 24/96 and the second USB port on the Transport that's good for 24/192

19. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

Great so thats all isolation sorted for PC and an uprated output :D

How far down the line are you in the final design for it?

Would there be options to include or exclude the cd side of things?

Essentially it would be a USB to Spdif convertor with an additional clock lock for the pure streamers amongst us.

Would there be any chance of providing an over sized case for all this , so I could fit an mini-itx motherboard inside and SSD with internal usb connection to your "wotnots" (see I am technical).

The reason is that with MDAC MPAX cd-transport (MTRANS) PC etc ... a lot of us will be running out of room on our racks. Plus I'm sure you would be able to sell this be the lorry load .... asking to much ? or not financially viable for yourselves?

20. fusion5

fusion5 on the dark side of hifi...

I expected the transport to connect via two rca connections since they can handle 24/192 and the clock signal goes from the M-DAC to the transport (at least in my imagination ;)). Could you explain the difference between the RCA sync out und optical sync in? How do I connect both transport and SBT (with clock lock upgrade)?

Edit: Wouldn't the IR Bus Link annihilate the isolation achieved by the use of optical cables?

Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.