advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As ever I am completely baffled. If the problem is the chassis then why are we waiting for more products which need a chassis before the Mdac2 which was always supposed to be a pcb only upgrade to the mdac. Or has that now changed? It ios very difficult to see whether there is any progress becasue we are not looking at a set of problems being ticked off a list. What we are seeing is new problems arising because of changes in the project. There seem to be more problems now than there were two years ago.
Can;t we just get on with a pcb upgrade to the mdac? Either this is going to happen or it isn't.

Either way it's not the despair that will get you it's the hope.

If the problem with the Detox chassis is that say 50% of them would not be cosmetically perfect, that's something I can live with. If enough others feel the same then let's go with it.
Hear, hear!

I'm all for getting the Detox delivered to me even if not cosmetically perfect.

As ever I am completely baffled. If the problem is the chassis then why are we waiting for more products which need a chassis before the Mdac2 which was always supposed to be a pcb only upgrade to the mdac. Or has that now changed? It ios very difficult to see whether there is any progress becasue we are not looking at a set of problems being ticked off a list. What we are seeing is new problems arising because of changes in the project. There seem to be more problems now than there were two years ago.
Can;t we just get on with a pcb upgrade to the mdac? Either this is going to happen or it isn't.
My understanding is that problem is to outsource production, pcb included. That is why all this move to in-house production. There was mistakes, troubles with equipment, etc. But there is no way back, too much done already, plans are in motion. I have hopes to get something this year.

My understanding is that problem is to outsource production, pcb included.
There is the small matter of the change from mdac2 to fdac then back to mdac2. Then building it in house, then the incorporation of the streamer no one wanted. Does the mdac2 need a new chassis now? Can't remember: it didn't, then it did (Fdac), then it didn't again (mdac2) and now I'm not sure. But the Streamer-no one-wanted does doesn't it?

Hear, hear!

I'm all for getting the Detox delivered to me even if not cosmetically perfect.

That works for me too...or is that three? Realistically I am not buying "rack candy" but, hopefully, a SOTA USB decrapifier for which the CNC'd case is integral to the design. Certainly this approach would alleviate a concern for John.

Let's do it!

WRT the Detox - One of the best "Blind tests" is not to be expecting any change in Sound quality, and where there is one to discover the cause.

While Jarek has been working on the MiniStreamer firmware he's been using it with the ProJect S2 DAC and noticed a decent improvement when using the MiniStreamer "Detoxed" USB pass-though mode. So nice to know that in "Blind tests" it does seem to work well.

The MiniStreamer only has a basic level of Detox on its external USB pass-though (without decorrelation and cascaded stages), but still brings a decent improvement. I tend to forget that the Ministreamer has this feature... I keep thinking of it as "just" a streamer.

If the problem with the Detox chassis is that say 50% of them would not be cosmetically perfect, that's something I can live with. If enough others feel the same then let's go with it.

Its be a shame to live with cosmetic imperfections, but if its just "cosmetic" then its workable, I worry about miss-tapped holes - we have many many fine thread screws on the underside...

However, we are committed to the Detox, so we have to move forward.

I suspect we will open the first production batch "risk order" for those who are prepared to accept the risk - the others can sit back and decide once they see the outcome of the first production.

Last edited:
There is the small matter of the change from mdac2 to fdac then back to mdac2. Then building it in house, then the incorporation of the streamer no one wanted. Does the mdac2 need a new chassis now? Can't remember: it didn't, then it did (Fdac), then it didn't again (mdac2) and now I'm not sure. But the Streamer-no one-wanted does doesn't it?

Yes, yes, but if you’re so clever, what colour should it be?

...for sure, but I think these designs are going to start coming out now with a hardware production system in place. Everyone has been frustrated with the time it has taken, but the rollercoaster is poised...! ;-)

...things are starting to happen, like rollercoaster takes time to climb to the top

I admire your opmtimism, I really do. However the bottom line is that after several years, not one product has been delivered. The first product that *might* delivered appears to be one that nobody asked for at the outset - I wonder what percentage of MDAC2 users are going to take a standalone streamer board? I’d guess it’s less than five percent.

There’s no timeline, no plan, no list of issues that need to be addressed etc. Time to face facts that any money invested should be written off (if you’ve not done this already).

This post is not meant to be inflammatory- after reading this thread for a long time now, I feel very sorry for everyone who has money invested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back