advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John

At worst won’t the screws cover the counter sink holes? Can cheekily put tamper evidence stickers over those screws ;-)

Paul

You would still see the bare metal "halo" around the screwhead!

Not to worry, the vendor forwarded new pictures today and they have anodized after countersinking - but as per my ealier post almost everything else is wrong with the panels!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rb5u9ntlnj1dsf4/2.jpg?dl=0

I recommended a vendor to a friend here who just received 900 PCB's (US$35,000) built in China, paid US$3500 in shipping only to discover that they have all been reflowed at too low a temperature and are useless - As I recommend the vendor I'll have to somehow sort this mess out for him...

I'm so glad I invested in house production for our "bespoke" designs, but I will still face issues with Chassis from China etc.

Last edited:
We have had only 3 people interested in the MiniStreamer - should there be more interest in the future then I'll open custom tooling and earlier units can be upgraded at cost by simply removing the screws and swapping the PCB into the new style chassis.
There will be more interest when you are able to produce them in numbers.
The closest competition is the $550 MicroRendu which software is not open like the MiniStreamer.

Don't you just love these vendors...:D, these look hand made to me and if I was back in my metal-work class (aged 13/14) I'd have got 5/10 good try from the teacher...:(...a little slap on my back with, why couldn't you line up the screw holes, use a the ruler silly boy.

No wonder you decided to use the original Chassis for the MDAC2_DD2A

I'm expecting some interesting pictures (fun and games) and posts when the FDAC chassis come around...:D:D:D.

That Detox chassis looked pretty good to me, just needed minor tweaks as I recall.

Its the chassis parts that cause me most headaches - especially now we have a mini inhouse electronics "production" capability.

From the MiniStreamer Chassis vendor:-

"We are so sorry about the mistake. The factory will remake asap, also will pay more attention on the silkscreen.

Any update here, we will keep you informed."

No shipping date from the vendor - I'm very concerned that we will not be able to ship the Ministreamer this side of Christmas - DevDAC's should be OK.

I've just installed MoOde on a spare RPi that I have, and I had a few issues (probably me...) getting the Squeezelite bit working, but now it is (thanks to a very helpful DIYAudio member) - and it sounds fine. As I cannot allow myself to believe a streamer can affect the sound, I will state that it sounds exactly the same as my Squeezebox Touch. So, I hope someone can integrate MoOde with the control of MDAC2/FDAC - we could then dispense with front panels and control everything from the phone!

That is the the beauty of controlling the house from the phone. I can switch the lights on, the stereo on, open the garage, run the shower, switch on the heating, choose my music, but at the moment I can't alter the volume on my MDAC (yet). If I put my phone on the arm of the sofa, the room lights come on and the hifi comes to life courtesy of NFC tags, and as I go to bed, I offer my phone to the windowsill and the NFC tag there switches everything off. I'd be happy to have all my hifi in a cupboard (apart from the speakers!!!) and control it all from my phone.

Yo John, What's up with the Mdac? Any news? It's been years now.
Can you throw me some update? again, I havn't been following the new updates and what not and all the new stuff that you have been doing.

I would also like to know if I need to pay for anythign else before you ship everything out.

Anyway John,

If you need some distraction, what about a nice little side project which I think will generate quite some interest.
Discrete Op-Amps, single and dual DIP8's, competing with the Burson, Sparkos, Dexa's of this world.
With your discrete design knowledge and experience, I'm pretty sure you can make a better and cheaper designs, and there will be a lot of interest.
Maybe even consider discrete super-regulators to replace 3 pin regs in equipment, with a discrete error amp fed from it's output :D
Should provide you with some welcome distraction from all the current issues, dead-lines etc.

With such great performance from on chip regs there's increasingly little point to discreet stuff.

A bit quiet in here... any news from the Vendor? :)

Sent by the vendor on December 18:-

"We are so so sorry about the trouble. We have pushed the factory to remake asap. It is estimated to ship them early next week.
Sorry again. "

I'm so bitterly disappointed- they promised shipment within 10 days & I paid extra to have them shipped well in time for Christmas...

Anyway John,

If you need some distraction, what about a nice little side project which I think will generate quite some interest.
Discrete Op-Amps, single and dual DIP8's, competing with the Burson, Sparkos, Dexa's of this world.
With your discrete design knowledge and experience, I'm pretty sure you can make a better and cheaper designs, and there will be a lot of interest.
Maybe even consider discrete super-regulators to replace 3 pin regs in equipment, with a discrete error amp fed from it's output :D
Should provide you with some welcome distraction from all the current issues, dead-lines etc.

Jason,

All efforts are being focused on production at this time - with no desire for new projects until we start to ship some designs.... Christmas will be spent with the SMD machine!!! (mind you Renata's just out buying a turkey) :)

Last edited:
Hiya guys, been a while... almost 6 years and still enjoying the M-DAC, finally hooked it up to a power amp (Arcam P9) and love the setup. Thinking I'll pick up a pair of new speakers soon (currently using MS 902i's).

I'm wondering if anyone has any info where I can buy a replacement remote (or 'wand' as I call it) for the M-DAC. I was emailing iaguk and they said they'd get back to me when they were restocked, it's been over a year since I initially inquired and have asked for an update a few times now. The current remote is intermittent and seems to work once I give it a gentle tap on my leg, I've tried new batteries but it's been dropped so many times it's developed a rattle and think I just need a new one really.

Thanks for any help. :)

Chronic, you should try calling them, this is a number I found on the web:

Phone number: 01480447700

I bought one a couple of years ago, it was about 30 GBP which is a bit extortionist especially when John said they were a few dollars to produce. But its a really nice comfortable design so I think its worth buying.

I'm careful not to step on it these days.
For the MDAC2 I believe the original remote will work and their may be the option to use the simple Apple remote which is far cheaper and easier to get hold of.

If you get one, I'd be curious to know how much you paid... It could be amusing.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back