advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm a little bit confused with needed PSU...
- What I need for devdac+streamer is only one 18v close to 1.0A PSU, there is no requested 12V 1.0 PSU for DEVDAC
- The boards will arrive with a standard switcher PSU.

Am I right ?

Thank goodness I'll be able to feed the balanced outputs into unbalanced then (my power amp is unbalanced only) - 4V output would be pretty much ideal in my system. I take it an adaptor like this would do the trick?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=152349343500

Eventually I'll get some new interconnects with XLR on one end and RCA on the other.

No these XLR to RCA adaptors are wired incorrectly for the MDAC2 DD2A - if you where to send me your XLR to RCA cables then I can modify them for you. These modified cables would then only be suitable for DD2A DAC designs.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm a little bit confused with needed PSU...
- What I need for devdac+streamer is only one 18v close to 1.0A PSU, there is no requested 12V 1.0 PSU for DEVDAC
- The boards will arrive with a standard switcher PSU.

The MiniStreamer requires 18VDC 1A - and a horrid switching Wallwart will be supplied - for software development its fine, but for serious listening then a Linear PSU is a good idea.

The MDAC2 Streamer & DevDAC requires 12V @ 1A minim. We will supply a horrid switching Wallwart but again fine for software development, but for serious listening then a Linear PSU is a good idea.

Legally due to European "Green" legislation, we are not allowed to supply Linear Wallwart type power adapters although there is nothing to stop customers to then buy a linear supply.

Last edited:
John,

On the different MDAC2 versions, would there be anything that prevents using both the balanced and the unbalanced output at the same time (the latter for driving a sub at line level)?

Thanks!

Using Balanced and unbalanced outputs at the same time is not a great idea as this unbalances the balanced outputs due to the extra loading of the RCA cable on one phase of the balanced output stage.

Its strongly not recommended for the DD2A designs but "workable" with the more standard designs.

No these XLR to RCA adaptors are wired incorrectly for the MDAC2 DD2A - if you where to send me your XLR to RCA cables then I can modify them for you. These modified cables would then only be suitable for DD2A DAC designs.

Would it be possible to have my DD2A configured with RCAs on the balanced outputs?

"wired incorrectly for the MDAC2DD2A"...or ANY application?

I have a preamp with both RCA INPUTS and RCA OUTPUTS only but amp has XLR INPUTS and non-Westlake DAC has XLR OUTPUTS.

I was under the impression that XLR-RCA conversion really served no purpose beneficial to SQ. Have I been misinformed?

BigDog,

With an Amp with XLR inputs its worth using balanced cable upto the RCA outputs on the Pre-amplifier and wire the cable for single-ended operation in the RCA plug (so its a balanced cable - but wired for the SE source at the RCA plug end).

The DD2A is a rather "special" DAC design as it has truly floating balanced outputs so you can ground one end and have the benefits of x2 the voltage output "Single ended" if this is helpful.

For the streamer you need 18VDC :- the "Polarity: Inside + Outside - DC plug size: External diameter 5.5mm, internal diameter 2.1mm" lead supplied with the PSU is correct for the streamer.
I find the PSU specs a bit confusing. Do I need to get a PSU with 18VDC output?

Or can I use any of these outputs on the LPSU I already got?
The outputs are:
19VDC, 7A max, 5A full load, 3mVp-p ripple
12VDC, 7A max, 5A full load, 2mVp-p ripple
9VDC, 3A max, 2A full load, 2mVp-p ripple
5VDC, 3A max, 2A full load, 2mVp-p ripple

I find the PSU specs a bit confusing. Do I need to get a PSU with 18VDC output?

18V for "the Standalone MiniStreamer"

12V for the DEVDAC+(MDAC2-)Streamer

You should be fine with the 12V output from your HDPlex PSU

Jadidih101
KevinNZ (Credit from Detox)
scubaboy (Credit from Detox)
Jansen

I've Emailed you with payment details for the MiniStreamer - which will be our first production units.

We have all parts in stock apart from the bare PCB's (scheduled to arrive Tuesday) and the chassis (scheduled to "within 2 weeks").

The PCB's we be built and tested before the chassis arrive, so as soon as they arrive we will be ready to ship out.

Last edited:
Paul,

The DD2A requires 4 different resistor values with a pair of each used per DAC... basically the Vishays are going to be expensive however many I'll order - the DD2A is an expensive design due to the component costs..

Just checking my usb input on my MDAC and there are three pins . The plastic middle piece which supports the usb connection went a couple of years ago. I’m assuming one a snapped and that there should be 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back