advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is MQA's DRM implemented exactly?

Quite simply its a closed system, you dont have access to the fully rendered MQA stream UNLESS you have paid the licence fee and this Audiostream must then not be made available to the "Public" i.e no Digital output. It can only be used internally within your DAC.

Thus protecting the record companies "HiRes Masters" as the raw data is not available in the public domain - it can only be decrypted by an MQA device, so ones Digital Rights as a customer are being Managed!!!!!

PCM is so poor verses a good analogue source (think Master Tape or a high end Vinyl setup).

I can vouch for the vinyl setup by my listening experiences...its very obvious to me that Vinyl is far easier (less fatiguing) and more enjoyable to listen to. DSD is better than PCM but still not upto Vinyl, in my general experience given the same artist and material.

Quite simply its a closed system, you dont have access to the fully rendered MQA stream UNLESS you have paid the licence fee and this Audiostream must then not be made available to the "Public" i.e no Digital output. It can only be used internally within your DAC.

Thus protecting the record companies "HiRes Masters" as the raw data is not available in the public domain - it can only be decrypted by an MQA device, so ones Digital Rights as a customer are being Managed!!!!!

How is that different from DTS or Dolby digital codecs?

I can vouch for the vinyl setup by my listening experiences...its very obvious to me that Vinyl is far easier (less fatiguing) and more enjoyable to listen to.

And I find the opposite. In my system and experience, individual instruments, i.e. a bowed cello string, sound more like the real thing via vinyl, yet the overall subjective experience of listening to an orchestra via CD is more like the many live concerts I attend than is vinyl. Vinyl is more fatiguing.
I listen via my MDAC so I think I'm still on thread topic!

Hi John, been doing my semi-regular catch-up on the latest in the MDAC2 saga - I'm happy to see that we may finally have some product very soon! A bit perplexed as to why so many people seem to have chosen now to give up though.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) I see now that we will be getting an MDAC2 after all! Still, I'm a bit perplexed by this as well: you originally morphed the project into the FDAC because you couldn't fit it into the MDAC's chassis, but now you can again! How did this happen?

2) I see you feel the FDAC must now have a clear sonic advantage over the MDAC2, but I see no reason why it can't just be a full width MDAC2 with DSP and FPGA. After all, the latter allows for future upgrades which could significantly improve the sound quality! Certainly, I am not happy that you've decided to prioritise the VFETs over it, as this is contrary to your stated timeline for the project all along.

3) Now that the MDAC2 and FDAC will have a built-in Raspberry Pi, can I get rid of my computer and just connect my music hard drive directly to it? What about file compatibility? And most importantly, what sort of interface will it have?

How is that different from DTS or Dolby digital codecs?

I worked with Dolby / DTS on many designs in the past - and am working with MQA so I do have insight into both.

1. There is no authentication system embedded into DTS / Dolby

2. Your ALLOWED to output the raw decoded Data with DTS / Dolby

3. DTS / Dolby provide complete information to implement there systems (with MQA the render + encoding is kept all in house).

For sure dealing with Dolby / DTS licencing is really REALLY not fun, but you cannot compare there intentions.

Its still early days for MQA, maybe they will open up there implementation tools and library's, I cannot see them have the resources to be able to customised each customers Rendering block....

Hi John, been doing my semi-regular catch-up on the latest in the MDAC2 saga - I'm happy to see that we may finally have some product very soon! A bit perplexed as to why so many people seem to have chosen now to give up though.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) I see now that we will be getting an MDAC2 after all! Still, I'm a bit perplexed by this as well: you originally morphed the project into the FDAC because you couldn't fit it into the MDAC's chassis, but now you can again! How did this happen?

With the MDAC2 "restart" I have removed the FPGA and DSP and its now just simply a no thrills DAC – I can concentrate on getting the best sound out of such a small unit.

One of the prime reasons I originally considered the FPGA was to resolve issues with the ESS Hyperstream DAC - the release of the new ESS Hyperstream II architecture it resolves many of the deficiencies of the original Hyperstream designs so the FPGA is not so critical – we will use FPGA’s on the FDAC as there are a few areas we can still improve upon.

The sound quality of the ESS Hyperstream II is big improvement over the ESS9018 used in the original MDAC.

With the MDAC2, I’ve also taken the big step (big step in that it complicates the production) of offering an external PSU – the MDAC performance really stepped up a gear once the internal PSU board is removed and used with a decent quality PSU.

2) I see you feel the FDAC must now have a clear sonic advantage over the MDAC2, but I see no reason why it can't just be a full width MDAC2 with DSP and FPGA. After all, the latter allows for future upgrades which could significantly improve the sound quality!

On the FDAC the DSP and FPGA are niceties – what I primarily care about is sound quality. I don’t care about a pretty box with extras; it MUST sound better, not just better, but a step change in performance. I believe MDAC2 will set the bar very high – which is good as I like working with challenges :)

Certainly, I am not happy that you've decided to prioritise the VFETs over it, as this is contrary to your stated timeline for the project all along.

For two main reasons:-

1. MDAC2 will set the SQ standard very high – what I personally need is a higher quality amplifier to complete the system, which can only be as good as the weakest link and for sure my amps are really poor – as are most "affordable" power amps (the VFETs are not that affordable!)

2. With the experienced gained with MDAC2 – we can capitalize on feedback and subsequent “optimisation” and tweaks and feed these into the FDAC design. These require time to develop. I want to try a tube stage (dual mode) on the FDAC if it significantly improves upon the SS MDAC2.

3) Now that the MDAC2 and FDAC will have a built-in Raspberry Pi, can I get rid of my computer and just connect my music hard drive directly to it? What about file compatibility? And most importantly, what sort of interface will it have?

Its really up to the community as to which direction they take the MDAC2 – headless streamer or full blown system with external monitor + keyboard etc. both are possible, but its not an area we will develop directly – I need to concentrate in the VFET / FDAC.

I’d be very pleased if the community developed the MDAC2 platform to a full streamer (so no computer required) – but let time provide the answer :)

My goal is going to be loading Kodi onto the Pi inside the mdac, along with RetroPie... ;)

"Kodi® (formerly known as XBMC™) is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media center for playing videos, music, pictures, games"

That be BRILLIANT :)

"Kodi® (formerly known as XBMC™) is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media center for playing videos, music, pictures, games"

That be BRILLIANT :)

I already have it on a number of devices, inc pi zero, 1,2 and 3, CuBox, Fire TV and normal desktop PC's... Its my go to OS/tool for media consumption, works very very well!

If you havent used it before load it up and give it a try, happily installs in windows and will give an insight into what a good 10ft interface looks and feels like.

I Will persue one goal and that is Roon the best audio ecosystem and UI!

It will be easy because it already works on the RPI 3.

There now is an Roon API so I hope to be able to make this work with the MDAC2/FDAC remote for volume and shipping tracks etc if it is possible to send remote commands from the CM3 to the DAC.

I Will persue one goal and that is Roon the best audio ecosystem and UI!

It will be easy because it already works on the RPI 3.

There now is an Roon API so I hope to be able to make this work with the MDAC2/FDAC remote for volume and shipping tracks etc if it is possible to send remote commands from the CM3 to the DAC.

Yes there will be a UART channel between the CM3 and MDAC2/FDAC MCU

Also there is the standard HID commands via the USB link - so it should be pretty transparent to the software if it already supports HID palyback commands (Pay / Pause / Cue FF / Cue REW & Volume etc).

John, what will happen if a significant number of people decide to go for the M-DAC 2 instead of the F-DAC? Could this lead to the cancellation of the F-DAC, or the unit cost becoming prohibitive due to the low number of people wanting it?

Your concerns about being able to make a substantial improvement in sound over theM-DAC 2 make me wonder if a cancellation is likely.

Don't worry, I'm not looking to jump ship, just curious.

Also you seem to have a much more positive view on MQA than previously.

Stunsworth I don't know what others want but I still want my two FDACs even though I will get a MDAC2 as well.

John, what will happen if a significant number of people decide to go for the M-DAC 2 instead of the F-DAC? Could this lead to the cancellation of the F-DAC, or the unit cost becoming prohibitive due to the low number of people wanting it?

We need an FPGA platform for internal development work so FDAC will not be cancelled - there no difference between 50pcs or 150pcs... they are both small Qtys... I also want the "Last DAC" I'll work on for awhile at least :)

Also you seem to have a much more positive view on MQA than previously.

I've still not listened to MQA in a controlled environment - I'd rather see Native DSD as a future format and dislike to the core the whole DRM aspects to MQA, but what to do?

If and I repeat IF MQA resolves the time domain issues with PCM the this is very very significant step forward for digital reproduction.

I'm really working in the blind here - so little information and its all buried and confusing... but I'd like to holdout hope.

So with the blind HOPE of something closer to Analogue I'm investing our resource into implementing MQA on designs - if this is a correct decision or not time will tell....

I do wonder if I'm selling my soul to the devil... :(

I well say that IMO MQA have done a VERY bad job of introducing the technology to customers - I as a designer am very much in the blind, what about the end users? So bad - so Bad dear Trump would say!

John, thanks.

I've no links to hand, but if you look at MQA's videos in YouTube they emphasise that the time domain corrections are the most important part of the system.

BigDog,

The beauty of MQA is that they can optimise the end to end time domain performance of the whole reproduction system upto the DAC's output (starting from the ADC) where we can only optimise the DAC’s performance.
Are there actually any MQA adcs though? Are any of these MQA files anything more than 24/96 (or the odd dsd 24/292 or dxd file) passed through a bit of bit depth reduction with some noise shaping and a narrow filter with plenty of aliasing.

Also on the subject of optimum transient, can you promise that the MDac 2 will have a orthodox linear phase filter too. I guess the ESS dac chips come with one

John, thanks.

I've no links to hand, but if you look at MQA's videos in YouTube they emphasise that the time domain corrections are the most important part of the system.

Yes, appreciated (and why I'm giving MQA the benefit of doubt), but very little real information with supporting technical papers etc...

Are there actually any MQA adcs though? Are any of these MQA files anything more than 24/96 (or the odd dsd 24/292 or dxd file) passed through a bit of bit depth reduction with some noise shaping and a narrow filter with plenty of aliasing.

Well I understand MQA offers studios MQA enabled ADC - but all you need is a native DSD file...

Also on the subject of optimum transient, can you promise that the MDac 2 will have a orthodox linear phase filter too. I guess the ESS dac chips come with one

I have no idea what you mean by "orthodox linear phase filter" as most standard FIRs are linear-phase filters (such as the MDAC's Fast / Slow) so no I cannot promise!

MDAC2 will have MDAC filter set plus a few extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back