1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Discussion in 'audio' started by JohnW, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

2. timola

timola pfm Member

Agreed.....but I thought the main reason for Linn's adoption of SMPS decades ago was to save costs (increase profits) and to get a reliable source, I believe their torroid supplier went out of business around the same time....am I right in thinking this? Also I don't think Naim ever used SMPS. I wonder why?

3. timola

timola pfm Member

4. iansr

iansr pfm Member

5. iansr

iansr pfm Member

Naim !?? Wash your mouth out!

6. radamel

radamel pfm Member

Why not create a new thread linear vs switching power supplies?

7. Rune

Rune pfm Member

All these Chinese DACS looks good when you look at the spec sheet.
    But so did all the SABRE 9018 variants and we know now that you can't judge based on the spec sheet alone.
    So I find it pointless until we have the FDAC. Also to compare with the original MDAC or the newer MDAC+.
    The FDAC is a different beast.

What I find interesting is the technical solutions various DACS have choosen to implement.

An example is the Benchmark DAC 3's hybrid gain control.
    Which sounds like a nice feature if is works as advertised.

It will be interesting to see how the FDAC handles this.

But personally I don't care to much because I will use the FDAC with WestLake amps.

8. iansr

iansr pfm Member

I take your point. On the other hand there is a fair amount of interest here re power supplies, so I figured it was justified rather than OT.

9. radamel

radamel pfm Member

Perhaps you're right.

It would certainly be interesting to know JohnW's thoughts on this.

10. Sibbers

Sibbers pfm Member

Yeah, I'm not interested in buying something that will compete with the FDAC - or even the MDAC2. I'm pretty confident in John's ability to make something that stands out and I'll like, but given the mystery surrounding timeframes I do want to have EQ and having a MiniDSP device just causes a drop in SQ so I want competent EQ inside the DAC and for it to be at least as good as the MDAC I have now in SQ terms.

It's my fears about downgrading combine with thinking I can wait 6 months that stop me pulling the trigger but now I suspect with a targeted date of May for Detox and MDAC2 that these will also slip and the FDAC will be more than a year away.

11. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

Gustard DAC X20 not meant to compete with LakeWest products, just an interim solution! I've heard good things about it anyway ;-)

12. ChrisPa

ChrisPa pfm Member

I like this idea.

Touching wood has been a long time superstition.
    Let's bring this into the current context...

How about touching VFETs?
    They're mythological devices - Has anyone ever touched VFET?
    Did it give them eternal life?

13. BigDog

BigDog pfm Member

Seriously?! I thought DETOX was January ('17) timeframe.

14. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Yes, May is for showing at Munich.

15. BigDog

BigDog pfm Member

Your lips to God's ears! :)

16. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

But is she for hard or soft brexit :D

17. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

It's possible that Sibbers is confusing the current deadline with the next one.

18. Sibbers

Sibbers pfm Member

I'm speculating on slippages and it's certainly possible and has been said that it'll be ready before - what we do know is John has said it'll deffo be shown at Munich with another project that hasn't been announced. BE718 expressed concern using those dates and wasn't corrected so it's not entirely clear, and I asked if it was accurate. No response to that. Presumably John is up to his elbows in work and managing the overheads of the project, so you gotta sympathise with that but hopefully he will acknowledge and set things straight.

BE718's post here

EDIT - LOL Misterdog :) Red, white and blue! She'll be the belle of the ball I imagine. Very popular out there, that one!

19. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

20. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.