1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Discussion in 'audio' started by JohnW, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisPa

ChrisPa pfm Member

Sibbers

Buy a DAC.

You know the rules of sod's law - the second you buy a DAC, the mdac2 will be available and you won't have needed to buy an intermediary DAC.

This will be good for all of us: as soon as you buy a DAC, the mdac 2 will be available

:)

2. uwe061

uwe061 pfm Member

3. Sibbers

Sibbers pfm Member

Haha, that made me chuckle. I have been eyeing a few up. Think I might go for the antimode 2.0 for the EQ. Hmmm. But I'm not saying hurry up, I'm just saying let's have some way of knowing how far through the process we are - it's like windows minutes!

4. ChrisPa

ChrisPa pfm Member

John months ;)

5. Jason_PFM

Jason_PFM Active Member

It all makes sense as Johns working pace is close to light speed :D

6. JTC

JTC Saint Alphonso!

Which is what I've done. I'm still in for MDAC2, but I decided I wanted music now, not in n months, and come the availability of MDAC2, I can decide which one goes in the main system and which in the second system :)

7. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

As a MDAC Toy owner you get GPB300 credit for MDAC development fees - so you would have a GBP200 development balance - but we will call it even for the loan of the phono stage :)

Then you only need to pay the "At Cost" PCB / PSU....

8. JTC

JTC Saint Alphonso!

OK, but I've also paid at least one additional instalment over and above the Toy dev costs. Can you get Renata to confirm that for me, in case I have it wrong? ta.

9. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

Yes, that correct a single GBP100, Oh well I guess you will want the analogue input option? so we will add that to the ADC development fee...

10. iansr

iansr pfm Member

John
    Was reading about this amp:
    https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

Which has 3 different gain settings with the aim of optimising the overall gain structure of your system. A very useful feature! Is it my imagination or did you say at one point that the VFET amps would have variable gain to ensure optimal gain when working with the FDAC? If I didn't dream that, is it still the plan?

11. Rune

Rune pfm Member

I think it is has been said several times that the FDAC will be gain matched with the VFET and Miniamps. Guess it is obvious since John is making both :)

It is only relevant if you are mixing brands.
    Have you bye the way looked at the the new DAC 3's HYBRID GAIN CONTROL which sounds interesting. Not sure if it is only marketing.
    https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/digital-to-analog-audio-converter

12. ChrisPa

ChrisPa pfm Member

Don't think the benchmark dac3 helps in this context.

(From the description) The digital signal never passes through the analogue gain control so, there is no change in analogue gain for digital signals and it plays no part in the digital gain structure

13. Rune

Rune pfm Member

The benchmark was not my point

It was that FDAC and VFET/mini amps will be gain matched.

14. ChrisPa

ChrisPa pfm Member

What was the point about the benchmark then?
    :confused:

15. Rune

Rune pfm Member

They have gain control in both their amps and DACS and OPs link was to Benchmark amps.

16. BigDog

BigDog pfm Member

17. mbaudis

mbaudis pfm Member

I've bought already 3 (2x Matrix, 1 TEAC); didn't help at all :-(

18. paulski

paulski pfm Member

19. Sibbers

Sibbers pfm Member

Maybe we should try other forms of superstition? Anyone good with tea leaves? :D

20. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

Covered recently on the Mytek Brooklyn thread. Take away the mythology and what's left? Building electronics using traditional methods, like thatching roofs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.