advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had three or four class D designs here, and they are certainly not all created equal, but the Hypex in Mola-Mola guise at least are superb.
Keith.

Ti33er, sounds like class d. Lots of grip but poor top end.

I would not say my nCores nc400 has a pour top end at least not until I can compare with the VFET amps.
I think they sound pretty good but maybe that is because I use a MFA Baby ref. passive preamp (transformer based) who knows there a many variables that influence the sound.

Ti33er, sounds like class d. Lots of grip but poor top end.

In this case more likely to be the implementation this time around. Let's just say that someone I know to have good ears tried one of those NC500s and ended up 'opamp rolling' to stock to get the best out of them. Long story short genuine attention has to be paid to getting the best out of the NCores. To lump them into the "poor top end" category would be correct for older designs (pre ncore i.e. some B&O impls), but not the recent generations.

I'm talking nc400s run straight from dac. If they're perfect why dick around with input stage rolling?

One could smoother them with transformer distortions to take off the treble grain if one wanted of course.

Horses for courses, the ncores are the best of the bunch to my ears, great for subwoofers... ;-)

I'm talking nc400s run straight from dac. If they're perfect why dick around with input stage rolling?

One could smoother them with transformer distortions to take off the treble grain if one wanted of course.

Horses for courses, the ncores are the best of the bunch to my ears, great for subwoofers... ;-)

Sounds like you Have not heard them with a good preamp?

Anyone who owns ncores lives around Bristol so I could have a little listening session? :)
BTW, why are they so powerful? Is it really needed?

I had treble gain with the ncores... when I fed it a source that had a grainy treble. NC500s are the ones without the discrete input buffer, NC400 has no 'opamp rolling' option to speak of.

Busy working away here :) - Detox Production issue PCB should be here by the end of the week, or Monday next...

any chance of an updated deliveries roadmap on detox/fdac and Vfet ?, just about to buy a new house and wondering how the finances will cope :)

Sounds like you Have not heard them with a good preamp?

I haven't heard them with your pre-amp, but then your idea of 'good' and mine probably don't meet in the middle.

I've heard them with a handful of well regarded pre-amps and output stages on digital products that have a reputation for not needing a pre-amp. They all sound grainy.

How old are you btw?

any chance of an updated deliveries roadmap on detox/fdac and Vfet ?, just about to buy a new house and wondering how the finances will cope :)

Stephen,

Detex - soon, with the next couple months

FDAC late September / October

VFETS Dec / Jan...

Stephen,

VFETS Dec / Jan...

Any idea when we will make final choices and payment for FDAC I am away last two weeks in July and dont want to miss anything

I haven't heard them with your pre-amp, but then your idea of 'good' and mine probably don't meet in the middle.

I've heard them with a handful of well regarded pre-amps and output stages on digital products that have a reputation for not needing a pre-amp. They all sound grainy.

How old are you btw?

I have the Nords with the Rev C input boards and Sonic Imagery op amps and they are the best sounding amplifiers I have ever had irrespective of class.
I hate bright grainy treble and I do not get that.
I am 68 years old so know what I want and this is it.
I have used the Sparkos op amps which a lot of people like for its valve like sound but I found them too dull.

Stephen,

VFETS Dec / Jan...
Just to clarify are we still on for delivery of the final prototype in July with production commencing in August?

Hi John, I am very curious to see how the detox can improve my very good Fusion MDAC. And it would be great if the FDAC would lie under the Christmas tree this year! :)

What do you think about MQA? I think it was a big topic at the High End 2016. Here is an interesting article by John Darko about MQA and its spline filter: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/06/an-inconvenient-truth-mqa-sounds-better/

Best regards,
Uwe

Stephen,

VFETS Dec / Jan...

John makes his thoughts clear in the MQA thread.Summed up by.

I don't see MQA as a major player - and never will be... besides just like USB2.0, XMOS will make an "idiots solution" for all...

I really loose no sleep over MQA its just pure BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back