advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101111)

Status
Not open for further replies.

giannitom

pfm Member
Happy Easter to all of you!

Hi John,
I'm very interested in these tower amps. Will they be public available? Under the LakeWest brand? In a crowdfunding way like the FDAC?

Sadly we rarely can listen at realistic levels, but I'm looking for the ultimate poweramp and going for something that is just OK would bug me. However a vfet built into a custom scaled up lecson tower, maybe the same height as my Summits would certainly be a talking point! I like radical styling!

One aspect of the design concept is the towers "Base" which is required for stability / connectors and possibly a ventilation fan to blow air up hollowed section in the heatsinks (This Fan would only operate during extreme conditions). I need to work the the ID designer on some concepts... but something simple - maybe just a conical "cone" shaped CNC'ed base with a flatted section at the rear for the connectors, the air can flow around the conical section to then flow up the heatsink.

So JUST fantasizing aloud here, the basic idea is x2 power boards on each heatsink half's with the input section / driver on a circular shaped PCB on the top of the tower - this circular PCB would plug-into the x2 power PCB's once the halves have been closed (attached) together.

We could then put a semi transparent circular window on the top of the "VFET Towers" to see the mini tubes.. :) As this driver PCB simply plugs into the x2 Power boards it could be simply exchanged by the owner if there was an unlikely problem with the tubes without needing to ship the towers back to Czech Rep. for tube replacement.

We would need a larger diameter Heatsink profile for the VFET amps - I'm not so worried about tooling costs as I need to pay around GBP5K for the existing VFET designs tooling and a "simple" extrusion would be cheaper - but can the VFET design be folded into such a Tower Profile without compromise...? and we would need agreement between all other VFET members - well 90% signed up to the original "Modified" 8200MB's concept, so in my opinion this is not a step backwards... but its not for me to say! The concept drawings of the current VFET heatsink design look so good (I'm not so hot for the front panel design)....

If the VFET followed the tower route then they would be a wider diameter then the Lecson AC1/AC3 due to the PSU requirements.

This is just me "thinking out aloud"...... lets see how the tower concept pans out for the "production" Power towers :)

Happy Easter :)

At least initially, the "Power Towers" will only be available to FDAC members as I'd like to be able to offer a "full" audio system (sans speakers) so that I can be confidant of the systems performance.

My recent battle with the power amps in our lab system just highlighted how the positive virtues of the MDAC could be "destroyed" by the amps - so for the FDAC we really need decent power amplifiers to get the best results (as sadly the VFETS are limited availability)...

I would only consider opening the project sponsor list once we have working prototypes of the amplifiers :)

Happy Easter :)

At least initially, the "Power Towers" will only be available to FDAC members as I'd like to be able to offer a "full" audio system (sans speakers) so that I can be confidant of the systems performance.

My recent battle with the power amps in our lab system just highlighted how the positive virtues of the MDAC could be "destroyed" by the amps - so for the FDAC we really need decent power amplifiers to get the best results (as sadly the VFETS are limited availability)...

I would only consider opening the project sponsor list once we have working prototypes of the amplifiers :)

Hi JohnW,

Firstly, happy Easter.

I am getting a bit concern that we are starting another project at the expense of FDAC. With regard to the amplifier and FDAC it seems to have become a chicken and egg situation. You can't test FDAC because you don't have a good enogh amplifier and you can finish the amplifier because you need to finish FDAC. That was how VFET started more that a year or so ago.

As you know, for others who do not know, I am a lucky paid up member of VFET list and it would be great if we can hasten the delivery of them but not at the expense of FDAC delivery date.

Let me state clearly that I have absolutly no doubt in you dedication, integraty and abilities but, to be honest, with all the new features added to FDAC spec now and regular delays in delivery, FDAC is in danger of becoming, for a lack of better word, a Vaporware (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware).

I am sorry if this sound a bit harsh, even ungratfull considering all your hard work, but I am not noticing enough progress with FDAC. Back in Sept last year when we agreed to Full Chassie (and its extra cost) we were told that there would be no significant delay in the FDAC delivery time. This has not been the case. There always seems to be this an extra feature/redesign/new thing that keeps pushing the deivery further and further away.

Here are some of the questions I have. Where are we with anologe borad? what percentage is complete? when is the expected end date? Same with digital board and the chassie and basically everything else on the FDAC. There are no milestones or milestones date to measure progress.

Respectfully, and I really don't mean to speak out of turn here, what I am concerned about is that a new concept/design/product vision would mean your time would not be fully dedicated to finishng FDAC which is what we all signed up for originally.

Best regards,

Hossein.

Hi JohnW,

Firstly, happy Easter.

I am getting a bit concern that we are starting another project at the expense of FDAC. With regard to the amplifier and FDAC it seems to have become a chicken and egg situation. You can't test FDAC because you don't have a good enogh amplifier and you can finish the amplifier because you need to finish FDAC. That was how VFET started more that a year or so ago.

As you know, for others who do not know, I am a lucky paid up member of VFET list and it would be great if we can hasten the delivery of them but not at the expense of FDAC delivery date.
Let me state clearly that I have absolutly no doubt in you dedication, integraty and abilities but, to be honest, with all the new features added to FDAC spec now and regular delays in delivery, FDAC is in danger of becoming, for a lack of better word, a Vaporware (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware).

I am sorry if this sound a bit harsh, even ungratfull considering all your hard work, but I am not noticing enough progress with FDAC. Back in Sept last year when we agreed to Full Chassie (and its extra cost) we were told that there would be no significant delay in the FDAC delivery time. This has not been the case. There always seems to be this an extra feature/redesign/new thing that keeps pushing the deivery further and further away.

Here are some of the questions I have. Where are we with anologe borad? what percentage is complete? when is the expected end date? Same with digital board and the chassie and basically everything else on the FDAC. There are no milestones or milestones date to measure progress.

Respectfully, and I really don't mean to speak out of turn here, what I am concerned about is that a new concept/design/product vision would mean your time would not be fully dedicated to finishng FDAC which is what we all signed up for originally.

Best regards,

Hossein.

As you do not seem to be happy with what FDAC really means to all of us; I invite you to leave your place to somebody who is willing to understand what the FDAC means. I already have an audiophile friend candidate. You simply do not setup guidelines to geniuses.

As you do not seem to be happy with what FDAC really means to all of us; I invite you to leave your place to somebody who is willing to understand what the FDAC means. I already have an audiophile friend candidate. You simply do not setup guidelines to geniuses.

any of you guys care to enlighten me where you are on the list ? cant see either of you

I can see both sides but my recent request for an update has been overlooked and I have been one of the very earliest supporters

Sometimes I wonder if I enrolled in a new cult :rolleyes:

The lists are incomplete.
Your request for an update is human and normal, but setting guidelines for a designer is another matter. Detox turned out to be a good idea. The design of an amplifier may trigger new brilliant ideas. Be patient Stephen, as you will be well rewarded for your patience.

Yeah let's get something finished please.. I've paid £400 to get an improved Mdac (I prefer the smaller format so would have been happy with either Mdac2 or Fdac Lite) but have now been side swiped with endless upgrades and features that I'll never use.. and I've no interest in new amps or speakers.

The clocks went forward today..will we see anything before they go back in October ?

Hi JohnW,

Firstly, happy Easter.

Best regards,

Hossein.

Hossein,

Don't worry as I mentioned earlier the "Power Towers" I've just designed the schematic and will oversee the engineer on the PCB design - which is why its not an "official" project until the prototype are built and tested. The schematic shares much with the VFETS (same Current Dumping OPS but with less devices) etc.

We now have a team of 3 working here in CZ on the FDAC project and the PCB designer for the "Power Towers" will be our fourth engineer.

Sure, during my trip to China I'll work with the ID designer on the concept if we have spare time and arrange tooling quotes etc. to maximise the benefit from the trip - its normal that during these trips I'm waiting around while other party's ready samples etc.

But priority is Detox, FDAC & VFET amplifiers - I'll be finishing the FDAC chassis design + internal Screen section for the Digital / Analogue sections during my trip - if time allows then even returning to CZ with the FDAC CNC'ed chassis sample.

any of you guys care to enlighten me where you are on the list ? cant see either of you

I can see both sides but my recent request for an update has been overlooked and I have been one of the very earliest supporters

Stephen,

Very soon after your post I did posted an update with the progress on the FDAC project, especially with the Digital PCB progress and the LCD / Audio path development PCB now built.

Thomas and Jarek are working on getting the display up an running - its just taking a little more time then Jarek expected (but I've more experience in such matters and it does not surprise me)... Nothing that cannot be solved it just takes time. The Audio path has been tested last week and this works well.

Late last night I drove 120km to deliver a Logic Analyser to Thomas who is working from home during the Easter break on the FDAC, I returned home just before midnight - everyone's working very hard here on FDAC even during the holidays - while others take time off and rest :(

Where to start :)

Fdac is important to all of us, I am sure. None more so than John who I am sure would be the happiest when his four years of work is complete and he can stop answering impatient bastards like me.

As for your offer, no thanks. By the way, if your "audiophile friend" would like to join FDAC list, he does not have to buy my place for TWo FDACs. He can just join up here: http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

Finally, no need to get your nickers in a twist mate :) I really don't think my request for info would be a hinderance to John's genious. at least I hope not. :D

Regards.

Hossein,

Don't worry as I mentioned earlier the "Power Towers" I've just designed the schematic and will oversee the engineer on the PCB design - which is why its not an "official" project until the prototype are built and tested. The schematic shares much with the VFETS (same Current Dumping OPS but with less devices) etc.

We now have a team of 3 working here in CZ on the FDAC project and the PCB designer for the "Power Towers" will be our fourth engineer.

Sure, during my trip to China I'll work with the ID designer on the concept if we have spare time and arrange tooling quotes etc. to maximise the benefit from the trip - its normal that during these trips I'm waiting around while other party's ready samples etc.

But priority is Detox, FDAC & VFET amplifiers - I'll be finishing the FDAC chassis design + internal Screen section for the Digital / Analogue sections during my trip - if time allows then even returning to CZ with the FDAC CNC'ed chassis sample.

Thanks John.

The lists are incomplete.
Your request for an update is human and normal, but setting guidelines for a designer is another matter. Detox turned out to be a good idea. The design of an amplifier may trigger new brilliant ideas. Be patient Stephen, as you will be well rewarded for your patience.
How in the name of God can the detox have turned out to be a good idea? It doesn't actually exist any more than the F-dac. You have no idea whether Stephen will be rewarded or not. You have no idea whether any brilliant ideas may be triggered. Get a grip.

All we know is that the FDac is not in production. (But I'm please that John thinks it will be finished soon)

How in the name of God can the detox have turned out to be a good idea? (...)Get a grip.

According to John's initial listening impressions it turned out to be a much better idea than expected.

Perhaps you should get a grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back