advertisement

MDAC firmware. update or not? That is the question.

matth

Hi, I've had an MDAC for a while and have just found the MDAC wiki with all of the interesting firmware upgrades.
My MDAC is on factory standard v0.90 and I have no issues or problems with it.
Should I upgrade to the latest firmware as listed on the wiki?
My concerns are:
1) It doesn't seem to be Audiolab firmware (can't find an official Audiolab firmware download)- so no comebacks.
2) Its listed as beta.

I'd like to get the best out of my MDAC, but I don't want to brick it.
Your advice gratefully accepted.
Cheers
Matt

The latest firmware provides additional features such as input naming and screen dimming.

General consensus though is that v0.90 provides best SQ. Including that of the designer John Westlake.

No one has ended up with a bricked unit changing firmware to my knowledge.
The firmware upgrades were produced by John Westlake not Audiolab. For confirmation ask on the Mdac thread here.

You can always flash any version you want, even the original 0.90 if you're unsatisfied with the newer ones, so there's little risk in trying. :)

The MDAC does not configurer itself correctly if first powered up in USB mode at 96KHz. Will it be a further update to fix the bug?

The MDAC does not configurer itself correctly if first powered up in USB mode at 96KHz. Will it be a further update to fix the bug?

What version of firmware do you have installed on the MDAC and what operating system?

Windows XP boots up in 96KHz and I have no issue (with V0.90).

v0.90
v0.95
v0.96
v0.99+v0.98
v0.99
A.03
A.04
A.05
A.06
A.08
A.09
A.10

Installation:
1. Insure MDAC is connected to PC via USB - selected to USB input and the MDAC Display indicates "Ready".
2. Insure no other software is operating on the PC (anything that could interrupt the upload process to the MDAC).
3. Run the program, once the PC has found the MDAC, press Y to start update, the computer should report a successful upload after about 3 seconds for the mainboard & 11 seconds for the Front panel.

You can push and hold the MDAC's Volume Knob on power-up to indicate the software versions.

MAC:
A.08
A.10

MDAC Service Manual

I updated my original M-DAC about 8 times. Not once did I encounter a problem. The versions you see are provided by the designer, not audiolab.

As far as I remember, the filter selection is only effective immediately when the USB input is selected (circling through the 5 available inputs fixes the issue with the other inputs).

Hi, can someone guide me through the process of updating my MDAC? I’m new to the party and want to ensure I’m getting the best out of it. So far and very pleased with my purchase! I’m Mac based as far as computers go. I’ve read though various threads relating to updateing but have found the topic quite confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Regards, Ali.

I have an MDAC which I bought new a few years ago. I liked it then and like it today. It does everything I want it to.

Nothing would persuade me to alter anything about it, so in answer to the original question, No, don't fiddle with a firmware update.

Others may see it different of course.

With best wishes from George

Hello friends I am new to this forum. I bought audiolab mdac. My version is 0.99/0.97. Which version is stable. pls guide me.

All are stable and work.

The latest version has lots of options/features.
The first version from a sound quality point of view is my favourite.

advertisement

Back